Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

We were playing some good stuff at the back end of the season under Sam, check our results. I'm not saying he's the greatest ever, but it got him the England job, Defoe was playing a blinder and was getting service. Moyes is dour, pedestrian, boring, he removes your flair and replaces it with nothing, not even solidity at the back. We're utterly fucked, we'll do a Villa under him unless they fire him after xmas, it's a shocking appointment.

Moyes lost his spark during the last few years at Everton. When he first came in he believed that a team should be able top beat any other team on any given day because it was 11 men vs 11 men, the players might not be even but the playing field was. His last few years at Everton were not that fondly thought of to be honest, we were bored of him and could tell he didn't believe in being able to upset the hierarchy anymore. He would just take the 6th-8th place every year because it was considered good enough. Don't even get me started on the 3-0 loss to Wigan in the FA Cup Quarter final. We all fancied it that year and he blew it and then got the united job which made it seem like he knew about Ferguson's retirement beforehand and didn't want a reason to stay at Everton. I doubt he actually threw the FA Cup but it still made us feel like he coasted his last few years waiting for the United job.

I found it odd Moyes came out with 'if we had a centre forward at Everton we would have been close to winning the Premier League, we were that good' because he never brought that kind of fearless ambitious optimism with him to league champions Manchester United when he arrived there, who at the time had maybe the kind of strikers Moyes would consider of the level allowing him to challenge for the title, in Van Persie, Hernandez, Welbeck, Rooney. From the beginning, it was 'a 6 year rebuilding job' and 'Man City are somewhere we should aspire to be' and 'Liverpool are probably favourites for the match at Old Trafford'. It's almost like..a shifting of the responsibility and blame away from the manager, Sunderland are rubbish because the players are so, trapped in their rubbishness like the multi million pound professionals in the 5 billion pound most watched league in the world that they are.

Barnsley were drawing 0-0  away at Wolves but scored four in the last twenty-two minutes to win 0-4. Newcastle beat QPR 0-6 in the end. Blackburn have just 2 points. A late goal for Fulham meant Burton only got a point at Craven Cottage and Sheffield Wednesday scored a 96th minute winner to beat Bristol City 3-2. Brighton beat top of the table Huddersfield 1-0. Derby continue losing, this time at home to Ipswich. Preston stuffed Cardiff 3-0.

The bottom of the table looks grim for some big clubs with recent(ish) top flight history.

Position - Club - Points - Last season in the Premier League

17 Leeds 7 pts - 2004

18 Aston Villa 6 - 2016

19 Preston 6 

20 Derby 7 - 2008

21 Cardiff 7- 2014

22 Rotherham 6

23 Wigan 7- 2013

24 Blackburn 7 - 2012

Barcelona were pretty outrageous this evening. Sure, it helped that Celtic were politely clapping the play more often than actually defending, but I'm not sure they'd have reduced the scoreline by very much even with a more appropriate level of determination (or penalty taking). Barca were 5-0 up, maybe 20 minutes to go, and still harrying the Celtic defenders like their lives depended on it. Brendan was so downbeat afterwards that I don't think he managed to mention character even once.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Barcelona were pretty outrageous this evening. Sure, it helped that Celtic were politely clapping the play more often than actually defending, but I'm not sure they'd have reduced the scoreline by very much even with a more appropriate level of determination (or penalty taking). Barca were 5-0 up, maybe 20 minutes to go, and still harrying the Celtic defenders like their lives depended on it. Brendan was so downbeat afterwards that I don't think he managed to mention character even once.

Not even poor old Brendan can spin a 7-0 away defeat as a positive, 3 days after his old side tonked the champions 4-1.  Thank god he's paid handsomely and gets the default scottish premier league title on his CV in 8 months time.

22 hours ago, Rev said:

Aston Villa aside, that "ish" is doing some pretty heavy lifting there.

We've not been too bad this season if truth be told.  Bristol City away (L 3-1) is the only time we've been well beaten and they were aided by goalkeeping errors in that game, in fact our goalkeeper was responsible for a comedy 85th minute winner for Sheffield Wednesday, an 85th minute equaliser for Huddersfield and we conceded an 87th minute equaliser to Forest at the weekend despite absolutely battering them.

Some stat going round on Twitter at the moment shows it, in our last three matches we've had 44 shots on goal, 21 corners, hit the woodwork 7 times but have only managed to score three goals and collect two points.  Poor finishing is probably costing us but we've got three guys in the squad who've scored 20+ goals in the Championship in the past couple of seasons. Hopefully it will click sooner rather than later.  

Anyone who watched the Leicester game will agree that Leicester were head and shoulders, belly buttons and ankles above Brugge. Brugge gifted Leicester all three goals and looked woeful. Brugge didn't have a single player who would have (if you were doing a score out of ten) scored higher than their Leicester counterpart.  It was so comfortable.

The manager complained about everything, the keeper looked "ahhh FFS" throughout as his inept back four allowed Leicester the ball again and again. The fans turned on their team within minutes and Leicester won. No dramas.

Perhaps there should've been three red cards (two for Brugge, one for Leicester) but other than that, there's no argument. It was like watching one of those cup games between a Premier League side and a League 1/2 team where the Premier League team score quite early and it's over and everything is predictable afterwards.

A great start for them and Man City, not so much for Arsenal and a really bad start for Spurs.

Leicester, with their two full-backs have a really potent weapon with long throws - expect a lot of goals to come from those.

21 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Nice to see Spurs keeping up Wembley's tradition of disappointment and shattered dreams.

I don't think you're far off, Wembley is cursed!

However, it was pretty special being in there even if the result was not what I wanted - 85k fans and most of them Spurs was pretty mental!