IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

I mentioned this before but Kante would be really good in the role Coquelin has been used in this season, and Xhaka would be really good in the role Kante is playing.

I jokingly suggested Arsenal and Chelsea  should have bought each other's midfielders, but I suspect Wenger wants to play Xhaka/Ramsey when Ramsey is back fit so the signing probably does make sense long term, even if Xhaka hasn't played much so far.

13 minutes ago, dizogg said:

I watched the video on the Telegraph website... he seems to do nothing wrong whatsoever?

Admittedly I haven't watched the video, but didn't he essentially say for £400k, he'd fly to Singapore and Hong Kong and tell these guys how to get around FA rules on bringing in third-party owned players?

He was talking about how third party ownership is still possible in England by fiddling with the rules a bit,. Whilst chatting with a group of businessmen and agents who paid him 400k for 'advice' who flew him out to Asia and took him to dinner in Manchester.

So yeah, he's a bit fucked.

Allardyce has a bit of a rep for being a bit dodgy anyway. 'Arry Redknapp ducking and diving old school type in the modern game (quote and link taken from Redcafe, not my own memory):

Towards the end of last year, Morrison was invited to a meeting with the football agent Mark Curtis to see if he wanted to become one of his clients. Curtis does this a fair bit with Allardyce's players. At West Ham, he either represents or has links with Allardyce, Kevin Nolan, James Tomkins, Jack Collison, Matt Jarvis, Andy Carroll, Jussi Jaaskelainen and Adrian. Look through his history and there is a fairly astounding pattern of players signing up to him from Allardyce teams. He also has a chequered past of his own, with an official warning from the Football Association after the 2008 investigation into Luton Town's illegal transfer dealings.

Morrison was not keen but, since then, his complaint is that he has felt under considerable pressure from Allardyce and Nolan to change his mind, claiming it is brought up on an almost daily basis. His grievance is that he wanted to go into training to learn and improve, not to have endless conversations about an agent he did not want to employ.

West Ham have put this to the relevant people and they strenuously deny it. Curtis says it is "nonsense", and there is no suggestion of any wrongdoing. But Morrison has become disillusioned with his manager and captain. Allardyce has talked of Morrison complaining about a groin injury when the medical staff could find no problem. Relationships have broken down. A few months ago, Morrison appeared to have the keys to the football universe. Now he cannot wait to get out of the club.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/feb/15/ravel-morrison-west-ham-united-waste

Also, as the article states, its part of a wider spread investigation into football:

The Telegraph began investigating corruption in English football last year after receiving information that specific managers, officials and agents were taking or receiving cash payments to secure player transfers. Over the coming days the Telegraph will detail how:

The assistant manager of a high-profile football club accepted a £5,000 cash “bung”

Ten managers were named by players’ agents as taking bribes to fix player transfers

Two well-known managers discussed becoming ambassadors for the same fictitious firm as Sam Allardyce

Another high-profile manager admitted his players broke FA rules by betting on their own games but he failed to report it

A senior figure at a Premier League club helped undercover reporters to formulate a plan to bribe managers

It was probably ill advised however, did he do anything illegal? Probably not. When it gets anywhere near illegality, he doesn't want to "go there". It's true though, football has always been dodgy in terms of transfer deals. It's the Telegraph and whenever I read anything by the Telegraph, there's always an undercurrent of class hatred towards anyone lower middle class and below. They don't approve of Allardyce as he's a common man with an accent North of Watford.

Allardyce does smell fishy and I wouldn't be surprised. He's very much in the Peter Risdale mould.

He's not unique sadly. You can't have £20-100m transfer fees happening without loads of people creaming money off the top. Even when transfer fees don't happen (Bosmans), there's still money to be made.

If it's true he should go.

He's in the highest profile position now and he should act like it. It seems that he most likely couldn't help himself.

Let's hope he DOES go, and so the next guy drops Rooney like the dead weight he is. And Spork, surely now even you cannot disagree with that.

The simple rule is that if you work at The FA, you absolutely have to watch everything you say in any company at all. If you're talking to someone who doesn't work there, you have your guard up and recognise you're always a representative of the organisation and English football, even if you don't have a badge on. If you're talking to someone who does work there, it's an incredibly politicised environment, and you still have your guard up and watch your step.

This doesn't change the higher up you go; it just means you're constantly exposed to more and more scrutiny, and more and more opportunity to fuck up for yourself.

At best Allardyce has displayed a huge amount of naivety - he'd need to be declaring any freebie's he gets valued at more than £250 on monthly basis and, as he stated himself, he'd need to ensure he had the sign off on appearing for speaker fees anywhere else. However, when he sits and plays the big man and bad mouths The FA (stadium investment), Neville, 'Woy' and then talks openly about how you can circumvent FA rules (note, he wasn't offering advice) he's clearly demonstrating he's a massive, massive numpty.

At best he retains his job but has completely lost the trust of his new bosses, at worst he gets sacked. Interesting test for Glenn and Clarke's new leadership, if nothing else; it'll show how resolute they are in reshaping the game.

The opposite is that this is how football works.  Tapping up, for instance, is totally against the rules and happens all the time.  Third party ownership was banned several years ago yet players continue to be bought and sold from South America.  Entire clubs are set up to make agents money - Porto for instance.  The FA are at the very least complicit in this.

That's not the opposite at all, it's simply even more reason to keep your mouth shut unless you're in company you absolutely trust rather than some speculative meetings in a restaurant in Manchester.

Like I said, he's been hugely naive thinking he can just go around acting like that. Even without the stuff around third party ownership, negotiating deals for £100K a time speaking engagements before he'd even played a match was bloody daft and absolutely the kind of thing that gets leaked to newspapers and causes a shitstorm regardless of who's making the offer.

17 minutes ago, Plissken said:

The opposite is that this is how football works.  Tapping up, for instance, is totally against the rules and happens all the time.  Third party ownership was banned several years ago yet players continue to be bought and sold from South America.  Entire clubs are set up to make agents money - Porto for instance.  The FA are at the very least complicit in this.

I'm not sure a club set up in 1893 and has been winning trophies since the 70s is a Mendes project. Porto get fucked over on third party ownership and utterly rely on Champion's League qualification, they don't make much money at all. They're a bit Chelsea in their buying-too-many-players, but even so their hit rate is preposterously good compared to Chelsea or Udinese. Terrifyingly so. They'd still do exactly the same even if Mendes wasn't nearby because they have to, they couldn't survive without selling their best players.

33 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'm not sure a club set up in 1893 and has been winning trophies since the 70s is a Mendes project. Porto get fucked over on third party ownership and utterly rely on Champion's League qualification, they don't make much money at all. They're a bit Chelsea in their buying-too-many-players, but even so their hit rate is preposterously good compared to Chelsea or Udinese. Terrifyingly so. They'd still do exactly the same even if Mendes wasn't nearby because they have to, they couldn't survive without selling their best players.

Jackson Martinez, bought for £7.5m, sold for £31.5m, Mangala in for £5m, out for £25m, James Rodriguez in for £6m, out for £38m, 

That's a shit load of money going somewhere.

13 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Jackson Martinez, bought for £7.5m, sold for £31.5m, Mangala in for £5m, out for £25m, James Rodriguez in for £6m, out for £38m, 

That's a shit load of money going somewhere.

Mendes will largely take his cut from the buying clubs though. I'm sure he's having his pick of the signings, but I doubt he gets anything from the transfers. The Swiss Ramble on them is old, but I really doubt it's changed much.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/portos-buy-low-sell-high-strategy.html

They've really got no right to be anywhere near the positions in the Champion's League they've managed to get to.

Allardyce. I've read about it, watched the video. The stuffed shirts at the FA won't tolerate that kind of attitude. Allardyce isn't their normal type of appointment as it is and his general arrogance in that video is going to utterly piss off the Executives at the FA who are probably used to wining and dining royalty and foreign dignitaries. Whatever people think of Allardyce, he's a classic, loud mouth Northern braggart stereotype. Sorry to the Northern folk but that is what he'll be viewed as (he's probably hated in the corridors of the FA anyway). I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't partly set up by some disgruntled public schoolboy at the FA.

We got our Mike Basset and he ended up like Arthur Daley.

The FA reminds me of the BBC. They hated Venables, it was obvious and wouldn't consider Redknapp with a ten-foot bargepole. Going back years/decades, they didn't give Clough the job when they should've.

Redknapp should be the next guy - he's got no skeletons in his closet :)