Jump to content
IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have to say that recent events sum my team up quite well. Bottom of the league, we've given a home to an utterly inept manager who has already lost the dressing room (see his weekend interview, "it was the players fault not mine"), and we've managed to provide England with their shortest ever and least successful managerial appointment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

You just need the 89th to complete the set!

 

85, 86, 87 & 88 were actually in order. The lads let themselves down by holding out to the 90th last night! 

 

I wouldnt be surprised to see Di Matteo get his cards though. Xia strikes me as a trigger happy chairman and Di Matteo has already lost the fans. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, emjay2kay said:

Can't say I'm sad to see Sam go. The way he bent over for Rooney in his first game was embarrassing.

 

It makes you wonder - how much did Rooney/the FA pay Sam to allow him to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Sam is just the beginning. 8 current and recent PL managers and a couple of Championship managers, and others, accused of taking bungs. Information already passed to police. 

Ian wrights new book opens with the departure of George Graham, and he names other managers who took the brown envelope.

 

Alladayce is named as one.

 

saying it was just the done thing, as long as you didn't get caught

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Nayson said:

Fuck's sake Villa. Ten games this season, one win and we've conceded result altering goals in the 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th & 90th minutes. <_<

 

We're having a similar problem, however not quite that bad. 

 

Also, get yourself in the EFL thread, too good for us in there are you?! :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Gotters said:

So is Pearson at Derby being suspended yesterday an unfortunate coincidence then ?

 

The only backhanders he is involved in revolve around midfielders or wild dogs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Entrapment has won on this occasion and I have to accept that.

 

Allardyce slightly missing the point that perhaps he shouldn't be a fucking crook and then there'd be nothing to 'entrap'. I realise a "if you've got nothing to hide..." argument is generally questionable, but equally I don't think that you should be able to conduct yourself in this manner, in private or otherwise, and then complain when your nature is revealed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, hmm said:

 

Allardyce slightly missing the point that perhaps he shouldn't be a fucking crook and then there'd be nothing to 'entrap'. I realise a "if you've got nothing to hide..." argument is generally questionable, but equally I don't think that you should be able to conduct yourself in this manner, in private or otherwise, and then complain when your nature is revealed.

 

And he's been given a £1 million payoff from the FA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's all a bit much. Having seen the footage and read the circumstances that led up to it (the meetings were a favour for a mate who hoped to get a job out of it) it seems like he's just making conversation. Dodgy, silly conversation but it's not like he set the meeting up. He shuts them down when talking about bungs and says he needs to run the £400k contract by the FA. Feel a bit sorry for him really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ckny said:

I think it's all a bit much. Having seen the footage and read the circumstances that led up to it (the meetings were a favour for a mate who hoped to get a job out of it) it seems like he's just making conversation. Dodgy, silly conversation but it's not like he set the meeting up. He shuts them down when talking about bungs and says he needs to run the £400k contract by the FA. Feel a bit sorry for him really.

 

This is what I mean about grey areas..favour for a mate, talked into it, he shut down the really bad stuff. The problem is that things off the record said in private have a different context, we all have banter with our mates that when taken out of context, could be bad. A pal of mine would send me texts parodying an idiot at his work who came out with outrageous statements. Out of context, it looks like he was saying them himself to me. This whole 3rd party rule bending was just sam explaining how it worked to an alleged pal, I could explain how to rob a shop but as long as I didn't do it, thats no offence. So yes he is an idiot, but I think this is one of those stories that feels big right now but forgotten within 6 months, and sam will take over at a relegation threatened prem team in Feb or March.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Nayson said:

Sir Alex and Bebe? Everyone knows that deal stunk to high heaven but nobody has been able to prove it. 

 

Wasnt that just typical Jorge Mendes nonsense in order to get Ronaldo? "Ok you can sign him if you also sign this useless cunt so I get even more money"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, angel said:

 

This is what I mean about grey areas..favour for a mate, talked into it, he shut down the really bad stuff. The problem is that things off the record said in private have a different context, we all have banter with our mates that when taken out of context, could be bad. A pal of mine would send me texts parodying an idiot at his work who came out with outrageous statements. Out of context, it looks like he was saying them himself to me. This whole 3rd party rule bending was just sam explaining how it worked to an alleged pal, I could explain how to rob a shop but as long as I didn't do it, thats no offence. So yes he is an idiot, but I think this is one of those stories that feels big right now but forgotten within 6 months, and sam will take over at a relegation threatened prem team in Feb or March.

 

That's not really the case with Sam, though, across everything he said. I can meet people as a favour for a mate, but I don't know those people. If I'm the England Manager, I know I've got to watch what I say to them. I don't explain how rules are being circumvented as though it's common knowledge. I don't bin off my new employer's main flagship project. I don't bin off The FA's royal president or his brother. I don't bin off my predecessor and mock him.

 

Before he'd even met his team or played a match, he did all of that AND was trading off of his position and negotiating deals that were of financial benefit to him personally. It's speaks to so much of his lack of moral character I'm surprised he lasted until last night.

 

Absolutely agree it'll all blow over in 6 months, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You're right, he deserves what's happened, the indiscretion is poor. There's just that there's something I don't like about the way it's been handled, as if the journalists who set it all up are acting like they're whiter than white. I'm sure if their phones were checked out, you would find offensive statements and distasteful material, but no one shines a light on that. Lets be honest, fleet street is as much a den of corruption as english football, if not more. These are the people that consider voicemail hacking a valid means to an end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't agree with entrapment - the entire notion of tempting someone with something they would absolutely want and then reporting that they wanted it isn't really news - and it does sound as though others have actually been worse and have taken bribes. But equally, none of those journalists are in one of the highest profile jobs in the country.

 

The FA and the England setup are one of the 3 most written about things in the country. This is drilled into all staff when they join, it's why there's a bit of a bunker mentality around SGP and Wembley. It's why FATV are doing more and more reporting pieces and controlling the message as it goes out.

 

Sure, the journalistic approach seems heavy handed and you won't hear me saying the papers are a force for good, but everyone around that setup knows it's the case and understands the environment in which they're working.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All he had to do was shut his mouth, but he was talking about how to circumvent the rules of his own employers.  Clearly a sackable offence for any employer.

 

At work here we have to complete some sort of "Corruption" module which explains all the ways that are deemed to contravene corruption rules of the company and anti-corruption laws in the UK and EU e.g.

  • one example could be that you meet a representative of another company and they offer to make it worth your while if you ensure that something happens in their company's favour
  • or you are flown out on a executive jet by the representative when you don't usually use such transport normally
  • you are given expensive gifts
  • and plenty of other examples

 

It could be argued that this is a good example of such behaviour

 

Funny thing is he's got form:

 

Quote

Bolton manager Sam Allardyce said he would not condone any breach of FA rules

LOL idiot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, angel said:

There's just that there's something I don't like about the way it's been handled, as if the journalists who set it all up are acting like they're whiter than white. I'm sure if their phones were checked out, you would find offensive statements and distasteful material, but no one shines a light on that.

 

What has that got to do with anything? This isn't about Sam's text messages, it's about him being a crooked idiot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.