Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

17 minutes ago, meatbin said:

Who's the one on GFW who has given himself a quirky way of saying "Hello"?

"Heeeeeloooo".

It's just got cringy every time he does it now after it picked-up some fan love and discussed back in the summer.

Paul MacInnes.

He's alright.  I did like Barry but he's a bit tired these days and he's not as funny as he used to be.

Dream line-up: Auclair, Lowe, Honigstein, Horncastle, AC Jimbo.

When I first heard the voice of Barry Glendenning I swore it was Graham Linehan speaking. They even look alike. When Crouch scored that chest and volley past Hart a few years ago Jimbo was raving about it and Barry just sneered, 'yeah, they showed it about 10 times on repeat on MOTD, it wasn't that good'. Jimbo protesting; 'yeah, but it was that it came out of absolutely nowhere that summed up the brilliant unpredictable nature of sport'. Barry; 'nah'. I used to most look forward to Sid Lowe's part, it's not as frequent anymore. I've listened to his spanish podcast a few times, but it scares me how much enthusiasm he has for Spanish football, that he probably spends 14 hours every day either watching it, writing about it, or talking about it. He writes and talks in such a manner like football is the most important thing in the world, it's admirable but scary. Graham Hunter is like that too, an esteemed voice, his interview series is good if no one knows about it. He has such respect and admiration for seemingly everyone in football, the one with Carrick is very good.

I like the Brazilian guy sometimes on football weekly who is offensive.

5 hours ago, meatbin said:

Chris Sutton has recently taken this to a new level.

I imagined Chris Sutton to be much older than the person sat in the MOTD chair, he's always sounded angry and dismissive, everyone else suggesting things and tip-toeing around and he'll just say 'no Arsenal can't win it this year, they never do, they always fail, they're not up to it, they're perennial bottlers, no chance'. He didn't say this, but that's kind of how he is. Claridge and Motson sometimes come across like they've been locked in the same room for a year straight and argue about what order to discuss things in. It's bizarre. Henry Winter is an obnoxious know it all but says very little. He's not an insider like he presents himself as. Graham Hunter and Guillem Balagué genuinely are. Danny Mills always takes the position of suggesting the opposite as the solution. So say a back 3 was used, clearly, a back 4 is the best option, look at all those other teams. It can be anything. Look out for it. Waddle is pure exasperation, for his own sake ought to moderate his voice. I listen to far too many of these. It can be a bit much. I mix them with film and comedy stuff.

Anyway, everyone listen to world football phone in from last week with Mina Rzouki, she's great.

4 hours ago, Plissken said:

Paul MacInnes.

He's alright.  I did like Barry but he's a bit tired these days and he's not as funny as he used to be.

Nah, Ian MacIntosh does the drawn out, slightly camp hello. Paul MacInnes is the sarky music journo. And a bit of a bellend.

They've won.

And they deserved it. Created chances and kept doing so after the goal, and restricted Maccabi Tel-Aviv to possession without much end product. Rogers was barely tested, and on another day Dundalk could have had three or four.

But they'll settle for one. It's still an enormous task to get anywhere near the knockout stage though. They could feasibly draw with both AZ and Maccabi in the return fixtures, but they'll probably need to win one of those to stand a real chance of progression. Two back to back games against Zenit next and I don't expect they'll take anything there.

Then again, I didn't expect any Irish side to get a point for a long, long time.

So no one else noticed that Pete Donaldson said "bummed in the gob" on last Thursday's Ramble then? I checked, he's only posted on here 23 times. Coming over here, nicking our 10 year old memes. Pricks.

I listen to GFW, Football Ramble and Football Fives. They make for a varied, enjoyable trio. Can't remember who on here recommended the latter but I find it a good show. They answer five questions each week or make fantasy five-a-side teams and argue about who should be included. It's four fairly regular, very passionate football nerds talking football and I often find it a joy. 

17 hours ago, Plissken said:

Paul MacInnes.

Its Iain Mcintosh with the hello.

13 hours ago, d ebolenk said:

I imagined Chris Sutton to be much older than the person sat in the MOTD chair, he's always sounded angry and dismissive, everyone else suggesting things and tip-toeing around and he'll just say 'no Arsenal can't win it this year, they never do, they always fail, they're not up to it, they're perennial bottlers, no chance'.

Sorry this made me piss myself - so true :lol:

16 hours ago, One Eye said:

Second Captains

That show would be improved massively if one of the other hosts would just lean across and slap Ken everytime he starts to launch into one his absolutely godawful "humourous" analogies. 

11 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

I listen to GFW, Football Ramble and Football Fives. They make for a varied, enjoyable trio. Can't remember who on here recommended the latter but I find it a good show. They answer five questions each week or make fantasy five-a-side teams and argue about who should be included. It's four fairly regular, very passionate football nerds talking football and I often find it a joy. 

That was probably me. I know one of the guys who hosts the show.

I thought this weeks episode was particularly interesting with all the Big Sam stuff, the guy who went on the rant (Dave?) is a guy who I don't think I've ever agreed with on as many points about football in general as I do with him so I genuinely enjoy the show rather than just listening because a mate is on it. 

www.footballfivespodcast.com

On 9/28/2016 at 17:30, BabelRich said:

I kind of hope Villa were/are involved in some kind of fixing shenanigans; it would go a long way to explain results for this season and last.

Sorry to come back to this but...

Southampton have confirmed that assistant manager Eric Black will be named as part of the Daily Telegraph's 'Football For Sale' investigation.

I know it's not the real reason Villa were such a shambles but still.

Can't comment on Chris Sutton, but I thought that article was magnificent. Lovely stuff.

In other news, Goal.com just posted about the mobile game that I am working on. I hope this is mildly amusing enough not to be spammy... Here you go:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/13712/extra-time/2016/09/30/28047242/which-player-would-chelsea-fans-borrow-from-their-top-rivals

4 hours ago, Nayson said:

Aston Villa on the other hand have not. Still only one win this season.  Expect Roberto Di Matteo to be getting his cards tomorrow. 

Talk about a come down, CL winner to sacked by Villa.  Surely it's the club to blame rather than him, seeing as no one has managed to fix them in years.

3 hours ago, angel said:

Talk about a come down, CL winner to sacked by Villa.  Surely it's the club to blame rather than him, seeing as no one has managed to fix them in years.

You could argue that the CL win didn't have much to do with Di Matteo, the team was pretty much running itself and had gotten to another penalty shootout in a Champions League final under Avram Grant a few years previously.  Di Matteo hasn't really been able to recreate any success since then so you do have to ask questions about him, I mean Djimi Traore is a Champions League winner too and he's been largely seen as a figure of fun ever since. 

Back to the Villa though, 3 wins in our last 49 league matches as of today. Obviously most of them have had nothing to do with RDM but he's sitting on 1 win in 11, or 1 in 12 if you want to count the Luton Town debacle in the cup. We've got a new chairman and a new board in and they have backed the manager to the tune of £50m in the transfer market.  He's bought a lot of new players in and he's not been able to get them to perform at all. The number of late goals conceded (five result changing goals conceded in the 85th minute or later in our first ten games of the season) has broken fans hearts and you can't play the unlucky card when it keeps happening, then we were absolutely hammered by Preston today and he's basically lost the support of the match going fan (5500 travelled to Preston today) so it's looking bleak for him, especially now that the forthcoming international break means that there are two weeks until the next game...