IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

3 hours ago, Dinobot said:

Real football return with Steve Bruce helming Villa.

He'll take any job to keep his chip-serving butler employed. Apparently he's up to 20kilos of potatoes a week. Even spending more than 35 minutes breathing the same air as Bruce doubles your chances of diabetes.

Get with the times Dino, Steve Bruce has lost a load of weight. 

8 hours ago, nakamura said:

Well if any club will drive you to excessive snacking it's Villa so that joke could be valid again within six months. 

Surely it's Leicester...

15 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I thought his biggest problem at Hull was the lack of transfer investment, so yeah.

Meanwhile, Infantino continues to be a cock of the highest order, promoting his ludicrious 48 team World Cup plans.

From what I briefly read he seemed to be suggesting it's a(nother?) qualifying phase rather than 48 teams will turn up in the host nation and expect to find space for a kickaround. If so, that sounds (depending on how it works, etc.) pretty good. Is that not the case?

As I understand it there will be a 48 team World Cup. There is a first round then a group phase and then the knockout rounds. 16 seeded teams get a bye to the group phase and 32 play off in the first round to qualify for the groups.

It's all fairly pointless except in that it's an attempt to drive up the price of television rights because more countries can say they have qualified for the World Cup finals, even if it's only for one game. 

The Steve Bruce appointment is a win/win for Steve Bruce. Villa are so bad, whatever he does (besides League 1 football next season), he'll be able to spout out the "rebuilding" soundbites and, if he lasts three months, he'll proclaim Villa as a lost cause that nobody could have saved. He'll get paid either way on a Premier League wage as they're a total bust at the moment. You can't blame him for taking the job as it's money. 

On a less cynical note, he's got teams promoted into the Premier League from the Championship - nobody can argue he hasn't. Who else with that pedigree would touch them?

4 hours ago, Rev said:

From what I briefly read he seemed to be suggesting it's a(nother?) qualifying phase rather than 48 teams will turn up in the host nation and expect to find space for a kickaround. If so, that sounds (depending on how it works, etc.) pretty good. Is that not the case?

It's as Nayson says. 48 teams are expected to rock up to whoever's hosting, with plans in place for a potential month-long stay, only for sixteen of them to go home after one match.

The group stage exists in the first place because teams didn't like making arduous journeys across the world for what could amount to a single football match and a quick trip back home. Travel's not quite as bad today as it was in the thirties, but it's still pointless grabbing for votes from certain confederations, promising them a place at the big table but then offering them a kids' bench on the side that they have to prove themselves at first. 

If the World Cup was a knock out tournament from the start, lots and lots of big nations wouldn't be in the knock out stage - if that makes sense. Many of the big teams have lost their opening games. Perhaps another group or possibly two; it would be nice for teams that win their qualifying tournaments to be there as it must be incredibly frustrating for teams like Iran, Australia etc. to have to go through via a play-off. I'd rather see some of the teams from Oceania through rather than teams like Ukraine (or England). 

This really isn't looking like a happy season for Leicester, is it? Winning it last time around was obviously something of a miraculous combination of players and circumstances, and I doubt anyone was anticipating a repeat, but they're just a shadow of that so far this term, in the league at least. It's not just that narrow, or sometimes fortunate, wins are turning into draws and losses now; in several games they've been looking utterly defeated by half time at the latest and there's not much sign of the team spirit and determination they had. It's all rooted in them being far more fragile defensively now, but the attitude seems off too. Hope they pull themselves together.

To be fair, I think their fans are probably happy enough given they're doing OK in the Champions League and won the league last season. Most teams in the Premier League won't ever win it, most won't make it to the Champions League either.

Having said that, they're looking poor today and are making Chelsea look good.

They've had a better 2nd half, but it shows Kante was a huge loss, and to be fair they were never going to win it again. If they can make CL last 16 I dare say that is some achievement.  This is all fine, it is what it is, a magical one off season that still makes me happy to think about, and I'm not even a Leicester fan.  Ranieri should retire or take a national job (not ours) at the end of the season though, go out on top.

54 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

To be fair, I think their fans are probably happy enough given they're doing OK in the Champions League and won the league last season. Most teams in the Premier League won't ever win it, most won't make it to the Champions League either.

Having said that, they're looking poor today and are making Chelsea look good.

Yup, couldn't care less really. Wouldn't mind if we came bottom.

In my never ending quest to highlight just how shit Aston Villa have been recently, a cursory glance at the Premier League table shows that Manchester City, Arsenal and Spurs all already have more points this season than we managed to collect in 2015/16 in it's entirety. :facepalm: 

Its been widely quoted in the papers that Sky viewing numbers for Premier League football are down 19% so far this year, last night won't do much to improve that

Sky are blaming illegal streaming, a warm late summer and the olympics, but I do wonder if the bubble is starting to wobble a little (if not fully burst). There is simply too much tat in the prem league and too many rubbish teams, playing rubbish football. Look at Super Sunday this week, it was mostly dire fare.

Great quote yesterday on twitter about how people love everything about football but actually watching it, and I increasingly find its something I have on in the background and only look up from my ipad when something exciting happens (this is the main reason I not bothered upgrading to sky Q for 4k footy, resolution doesn't matter if you not looking at screen most of the time)

I love going to games and being in the ground, but as a tv spectacle its beginning to wear a bit thin for me, anybody else feeling this ?

I don't have Sky but used to stream a couple of live games every weekend. Now I can't even be bothered doing that, highlights does me fine. I never really went in for the hype anyway, I can't stand Sky. I don't think Monday and Friday games help matters though, they must get lower viewing figures for these and it dilutes the weekend's action.

It probably doesn't help that some of the previous big hitters (Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool) have been in various states of flux for the last couple of seasons; the games Sky used to go all out promoting as title deciders don't mean as much when it's 6th vs 7th or whatever.