IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

4 hours ago, Liamness said:

It's certainly hard to pick between the sides at the bottom. Swansea and Hull seem to have come into some form (with the latter having spent a lot in January) so you'd think they'll climb out of trouble before long, and even Sunderland seem less terrible, whereas Palace, Bournemouth and Leicester all seem to have relegation form right now. I've got literally no idea how it will turn out.

It's going to go to the wire.

Hull, Swansea and Palace down would do me. Purely for mismanagement in the 1st 2 cases, and fat sam for the latter.

Still basking in that 0-4 after sam was dancing with the mascot, before we put him to the sword infront of his own fans. Ho ho :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there a quite a few swollen egos in the team who think that the team performing below last year is the fault of the manager rather than accepting that last year was a once in a lifetime fluke, and so they're no longer interested in putting in the performances for him.

Honestly, if he gets sacked it's a complete disgrace. I don't care if they get relegated and crash out of the Champions League in the next round. He gave them something nobody at that club ever dreamed they could have, and that they will never see again in their lifetimes. Sadly it just shows how dramatically overperforming in one season can fuck a manager over. If Leicester had scraped through last season in 16th place, you wouldn't be hearing the same calls for his head right now. But because Leicester fucking City only went and won the fucking league last season he's now in trouble. Over-inflated and unrealistic expectations are a terrible thing.

Egos, wage bill, inflated expectations, adrenaline dump, agents sniffing round, Vardy, Mahrez and maybe Drinkwater being tapped up, businessmen coming in and saying it's time to build the Leicester brand, other teams catching on to their style, the resurgance of the big clubs etc etc. I'm with Paul Merson, they shouldnt talk about the sack, they should be building a statue of Ranieri in the town.

On 05/02/2017 at 17:12, Liamness said:

It's certainly hard to pick between the sides at the bottom. Swansea and Hull seem to have come into some form (with the latter having spent a lot in January) so you'd think they'll climb out of trouble before long, and even Sunderland seem less terrible, whereas Palace, Bournemouth and Leicester all seem to have relegation form right now. I've got literally no idea how it will turn out.

Did they? 

Hull spent ~£10m on two new players, made one loan permanent and got a couple players in on quite modestly valued loans.  They funded all of this and then some with £20m in player sales.

Swansea spent ~£10m on three new players with no sales.

Boro ~£10m

Leicester ~£15m

Palace ~£30m.

Seems weird to pick out Hull as spending a lot when they, er, didn't really.  Just replaced what they lost and got some loans in.

I'd noticed they got a lot of new players in basically. But yeah, I imagine selling Snodgrass pretty much completely negates that, forgot about him. Besides, I should always remember that when talking about transfer fees on the internet, it's all about net spend.

Fair enough, I think the Serie A comparison is misleading too because the new tranche of TV money means there aren't many European teams who can compete with even the lowest positioned Premier League clubs.

Outside of fabulously rich owners or super clubs anyway. I don't think there are any of those in Italy at present.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

Fair enough, I think the Serie A comparison is misleading too because the new tranche of TV money means there aren't many European teams who can compete with even the lowest positioned Premier League clubs.

Outside of fabulously rich owners or super clubs anyway. I don't think there are any of those in Italy at present.

Isn't the Championship the 6th biggest league in terms of finances - mostly due to parachute payments?

Shocking by the refs to miss the keepers handball then. They don't help themselves.

The striker has every right to be furious then gets booked for it. Why doesn't the ref tell him to calm down and say he missed it or summit instead of an instant booking.