IGNORED

Football Thread 2016/17

Plissken

The playoff isn't that novel, really. The World Cup already has inter-confederation playoffs, with this year's taking place for CONMEBOL-OFC and CONCACAF-AFC. This is just an expansion of that to accomodate more teams. Having it in the host country is a change, and also an unexpected throwback to 1934 when the US beat Mexico in a single game in Rome (the only qualifying match for either team) three days before the tournament opened.

48 team World Cup is still stupid though.

Dunno why people are upset about that fan ranking thing, Arsenal thoroughly deserve to be the worst. Only complaint I'd have is that Liverpool should be higher, they're almost as bad. They're just lacking in the 'Fan TV gobshite nonce' department

:facepalm:

9 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The playoff isn't that novel, really. The World Cup already has inter-confederation playoffs, with this year's taking place for CONMEBOL-OFC and CONCACAF-AFC. This is just an expansion of that to accomodate more teams. Having it in the host country is a change, and also an unexpected throwback to 1934 when the US beat Mexico in a single game in Rome (the only qualifying match for either team) three days before the tournament opened.

48 team World Cup is still stupid though.

I guess the issue with the play-off is 6 teams go over to Qatar for the play-off tournament which will consist of just three games with only two teams playing more than once and the seeded teams (and in theory the strongest 2) having the advantage of playing weaker opposition who have already played a game.

It's not been an easy season for us Palace fans, but the toddler-esque tantrums of most Chelsea fans I've encountered (by all accounts the 606 callers were a joy) have made me remember the joy of football for those of us that support lesser teams, which is mugging off self-entitled twats! 

(See also us stealing Liverpools "guaranteed" title by coming back from 3-0 down, and us shitting on Gerrard's final game at Anfield)

1 hour ago, skadupuk said:

It's not been an easy season for us Palace fans, but the toddler-esque tantrums of most Chelsea fans I've encountered (by all accounts the 606 callers were a joy) have made me remember the joy of football for those of us that support lesser teams, which is mugging off self-entitled twats! 

(See also us stealing Liverpools "guaranteed" title by coming back from 3-0 down, and us shitting on Gerrard's final game at Anfield)

What the hell were the Chelsea fans meaning by "fire bombs" being thrown on the pitch? Flashbangs? 

7 minutes ago, McFly said:

What the hell were the Chelsea fans meaning by "fire bombs" being thrown on the pitch? Flashbangs? 

Couple of smoke bombs and a flare, which I do not condone in any way at all, but the reaction was somewhat dramatic with a Chelsea fan claiming a fear of it being terrorists.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/787042/david-moyes-female-bbc-reporter-slap-sunderland-match-of-the-day

Moyes, 53, sparked a row after being left angered by Vicki Sparks’ line of questioning following Sunderland’s 0-0 draw against Burnley.

He was caught on camera in an off-air exchange, seen by the Express, warning Vicki she should think twice before coming back to the Stadium of Light ground.

But the BBC said Mr Moyes had told the reporter he was sorry and a spokeswoman for Sunderland confirmed the matter had been resolved amicably. 

In the unscreened footage Sunderland boss Moyes criticised the reporter’s questioning, saying: “It was getting a wee bit naughty at the end there so just watch yourself. You still might get a slap even though you’re a woman.

He added: “Careful the next time you come in.

Ms Sparks grilled him over whether he was under more pressure as club chairman Ellis Short turned up in the stands but he batted off the comment and said: “None at all”.

Is he honestly going to get away with that?

According to the report I read both Moyes and the reporter were laughing through the exchange, so perhaps it was a joke they both understood. It seems horrific written down though, and even if it was a joke, it's a pretty nasty one. 

When I heard Moyes had said something terrible I was thinking what the hell has he done? Then I heard the exchange and couldn't believe it had even made the news. It's pretty much nothing. 

Yes, it wasn't particularly clever nor funny, but it has been blown out of all proportion. People need to stop looking for reasons to be offended.