rllmuk
Jamie John

Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

How do you store guns in your locker?  Mine always says nothing stored, and when I take a new gun there I've got no way of storing it.  Is this something you unlock later?

I think only weapons that you have purchased from the merchants in any of the camps appear in the lockers. Any weapons you pick up are not stocked / shown in the lockers AFAIK.

• Upvote 2

You can craft ammo for your crossbow, too.  You just need the right kind of sticks.

The crafting reminds me of Horizon, in that it's all just done from the weapon wheel.  It's pretty painless.

Not much. Really, you could ignore it (flower picking) completely.

2 minutes ago, mop said:

Not much. Really, you could ignore it (flower picking) completely.

Apart from the mission where it's forced upon you. 

Ha, yeah! I actually had to do that one yesterday and it slipped my mind. It's not the most egregious mission in the world to be fair.

You can get an upgrade to put flowers on your minimap, which makes it really easy to grab them as you're running around.

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:43, Gizamaluke said:

I knew I'd like this and guess what? I really do. It reminds me a little of Mad Max where as long as you know what you are getting in to it's a lot greater than the sum of its parts. The vehicle management and chunky melee combat feel similar too.

There are just a few tiny niggles stopping this reaching AAA. The loading times and cutscene transitions need work and I'm still noticing a few frame drops pelting my bike through the woods, but I can easily overlook that cos the world has completely sucked me in.

I was playing State of Decay 2 a few days back and the step up in quality going to this is insane. 

I really didn't get on with the combat system in Mad Max - is this similar?

Had an incident on it last night where I stopped in the road and started pilfering from cars, as it was getting dark I noticed a handful of zombies coming out of the woods. Hid in one of the boxes to see what would happen, and a minute or so later a big horde followed them out of the woods, slowly walked past where I was and carried on their way through the woods. I had no storyline reason to be there so it felt really organic and creepy as hell, I hope there's more of that kind of thing to come.

• Upvote 7

42 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Because digital is too expensive? Or in my case - it's something I want to sell on quite quickly.

I believe digital is not counted in this chart.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Also, the square root of fuck all has come out for a while. 

Haven't heard of that one... did it review well?

• Upvote 1

Big games released during the summer almost always do well, yet every year around 65% of games are still fucking crammed into Q4. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Haha, yes somehow this biker dude is a master herbalist.

The characterisation does take some pretty big leaps at times but in fairness to this one, that is basically what his wife’s job was.

Despite its clumsiness I thoroughly enjoy this, not lastly because of the characters, their personalities and motivation, voice acting and overall design of the world. I am captivated by all of it. For those wondering what I mean by clumsiness, let me give me the following example.

Yesterday I received an emotional call from an NPC telling me people have been kidnapped from a safe haven by a savage gang who are notorious for their violent and degenerate behaviour. Deacon is clearly affected by it and yells - paraphrasing -  "I am going there now. These fuckers are dangerous! Theres no telling what'll happen if we wait!". I am pumped and agree with Deacon, these degenerates are dangerous so I rev the bike and off I go. Full speed ahead, zipping past trees and Freakers. Out of my way, I am in fucking hurry even though there's no countdown on screen and I damned well know I can do a dozen side missions prior which will not affect this mission in the slightest but hey, Deacon is hyped and so am I! I arrive at the destination in clear daylight, so shall we say it was noon and I am greeted by a loading screen followed by one of those "time of day" time lapses where it changes from daylight to dark - shall we say midnight :facepalm:

There's no time to waste ≠ a 12 hour time lapse.

Nog a big issue and it did not made me like the game less. It kind of made me chuckle and roll me eyes at how silly some things can be.

A few niggles with this after last night. Now I feel confident enough to go after the hordes, the controls just don't hold up for me. There appears to be no over the shoulder gun fire which just seems an obvious omission when running from hordes. I'm sure I saw this in early previews though. Also, the aim assist completely gives up when there are too many enemies on screen as if there are too many to track, but because the aiming and gunplay is so woolly and loose and I'm used to it, it just feels completely broken when trying to deal with big numbers without it.

I am really into the world and narrative still though. Also, it's jawdroppingly beautiful at times, just exploring and finding vistas in the sunset. It's a strange game. It's so close to being amazing and at times when it all comes together, It'd be genuine GOAT stuff for me personally but the fact that when it's good it's so good just highlights the niggles even more.

Had the sound bug last night, where most of the effects just stopped.  I did get the occasional bit of music and random sound effect though.  Couldn't be bothered to restart, as the initial load time is so long.

Absolutely LOVE the environments.  When the storms hit and the trees are going crazy it's spectacular.  Screenshots don't do it justice, because it's all in the movement of the branches.

One niggle, the enemy snipers seem ridiculously accurate.  If you're hidden behind something and sneak out one side or the other, they're always instantly and 100% accurately targeting you.  Makes any fight involving snipers really annoying.

On 29/04/2019 at 16:52, Garibaldi said:

Big games released during the summer almost always do well, yet every year around 65% of games are still fucking crammed into Q4. 

Given that this is the biggest selling game at physical retail so far in 2019, yet its actual amount of sales is nothing to write home about (~70,000 copies) would explain that one. It would struggle to get a Top Ten placing with this amount of sales during a really busy sales period, like near Christmas.

• Empathy 1

I think this is probably the best looking PS4 exclusive. Even when there’s no one around it can look stunning. Then a horde shows up and it doesn’t drop.

Obviously, art style plays a part. Spider-Man looks amazing but deliberately a little plasticky. God of War environments were all laid out in arenas and interconnecting tunnels that didn’t feel very organic. Horizon has that Ubisoft look in its vegetation, a little too sharp and artificial looking.

Back to Days Gone. I don’t think I ever predicted I’d be so amazed about trees blowing in the wind.

• Empathy 1

It's immersive as hell. I had a mission that took me down a huge tree lined crevice and a storm kicked in and it was honestly jaw dropping. Then a random horde came through and I had to climb a tower to get out of the way and the draw distance as I watched them wander off into the distance was next level stuff.

Still having a great time with this after 12-13 hours or so.

• Upvote 1