Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

3 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Some people can't handle the zombie hordes, and that's okay because no game is for everyone, but I have to say that it just amplifies my own personal pleasure when I vanquish them all with God like ease.

Also, IIRC, there were only a few that were essential to progress the story. The first one was tricky enough that, after beating them, I avoided most others unless I could work some environmental advantage until I was tooled up with the big guns and the big bombs. In hindsight that seems the right approach as it made dealing with them a lot of fun.

Probably my favourite PS4 exclusive after Bloodborne but I can see why it was overlooked (including me until I picked up a cheap copy over the summer) as it does look very generic. 

I'm loving this Walking Dead Redemption. Sure it's shoddy as hell at times but it's good fun, it's got incredible weather effects and the music is amazing. I just wish you could skip the identical dialogue every single time you rescue someone and send them to a camp. 

Those conversations feel especially disjointed, it's obvious it's a bunch a single lines pasted together. The timing is off, the emotion in their voices does not match what you see on screen and there's close to no believable reaction to what the other party said.

4 hours ago, df0 said:

Stop rescuing them :sherlock:

On a serious note, there's so much camp exp and money to be earned via other ways, the rescuing soon stops to be relevant.

Alright, Neegan.

So I'm really really enjoying this. It's weird in that it's an open world-y thing in which you're kind of doing the same thing over and over again so is really everything I normally hate, but the way you slowly unlock stuff that actually leads to you being better against something that's genuinely impossible to overcome at the beginning is keeping me playing. I drop off most Assassin's Creedy games because you've seen everything they have to offer after 20 hours and then the game expects you to do exactly the same thing again and again with bigger numbers for another 60, but this actually gets better the more you play. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, there are far, far too many terrible PS2 game design insta fail stealth sections. I don't care if a game has rough edges but giving the Nero guys magic suits you can't shoot through and making you sneak around them in pre determined but unclear routes is never, ever fun. But on the whole I really like it! It's been a proper lockdown surprise and feels genuinely epic in its scope.

For those that have finished it,

Spoiler

things have just gone down with the Rippers at Iron Mike's camp,

how far through the game am I? It feels like I could be pretty near the end or about half way through an even bigger story. 

About 2/3rds through I think.

The end, and mopping up everything, was my favourite bit. You're basically a walking terminator at that point.

Whittling down the hordes, and clearing the map generally, was almost therapeutic.

It's a shame they never 

Spoiler

just up and had one of the camps wiped out by a horde. Losing all the the progress / credits would have given it some emotional impact and made it more of a surprise cos you don't expect it. Like spending 30 hours levelling up Aeris. 

I'm endlessly having to gather more rags, the game needs a couple of end-game perks that let you hold like 2 or 3 times as many crafting materials. Or let me chose to devote a saddlebag to it.

The best bit about hordes is the point where the momentum shifts from them coming from you to you coming for them. It's like a good EDF level. It's a shame a lot of the non-story ones are a bit dull with fewer fun choke-points and things to explode.

Just playing this for the first time because I’m putting of housework and I have to say it’s a bit disappointing.

I hear it gets good a lot later on but the fundamentals are weak. The combat doesn’t seem like much fun and the characters move really strangely.

It looks like a first party Sony game but the mechanics under the shine are like something from a 360 game.

Its a bit like horizon where you can see the beautiful rendering but you know from what your tasks are that the engine can’t handle anything other than some dome shaped trigger areas.

I put another couple of hours in last night and still perplexed by all the mechanics that they've crammed in there, the main guy even has a bloody 'witcher' sense. He's just a biker dude, how has he got this superhuman sense that can highlight ghostly remains of someone's footprints? Just feels like another game system too many. I am enjoying it overall though and feels like a good story under there and the world is beautiful but it really needs to do something special to keep me engaged for 40+ hours. By all accounts it does, so I'm going to keep at it.

The Witcher sense thing is just one of those AAA game things that’s just a feature these days. I mean Joel and Ellie have it in TLoU for “reasons” too but weirdly I’ve never seen that ruining the immersion for people. :blah:

After plaything and loving Days Gone last year, I thought I'd go back to it and take another look via the shiny new 60fps that PS5 brings. And for the most part, it's great. Playing on that new survival mode without many HUD bits, and it's all fine in single player. Unfortunately, I thought I'd also take a look at the challenge mode which is also new to me and there's some real dodgy shit going on in it that's made me chuck the game aside in disgust for the time being.

I'm assuming this is a PS5 / 60fps thing as I don't recall it ever happening before, but it could also be a challenge thing - anyway the hit detection is super fucked. Whether humans or swarmers, sometimes they just ignore gunshots that are clearly hitting them. Head or body, it's like you're firing blanks - unbearably frustrating when you're in the horde challenges and one of the swarmers runs clean through your minigun fire and smacks you, causing a stagger and allowing the rest of his asshole buddies to swarm you unfairly.

I only took one video of it in one of the marauder modes, but this kinda thing's happening constantly. In this instance I wondered if it might be dodgy collision detection on their cover, but it happens out in the open in plain sight as well.

This is the most engaging buggy as shit game I’ve ever played. I really don’t care for a lot of what is here yet I can’t stop playing it.

Do I assume I'm near the end to this?

Spoiler

All my storyline missions have vanished apart from one which is called something like "Get Sarah out of the camp".

Slightly annoying as I'm this close to getting trust level 3 at both camps and I can't find any way of crossing the finish line with nothing going on.

Yeah. You'll be able to go back and do it once the story side is finished by killing hoooooordes

Unrelated Very End of the Game Spoilers

Spoiler

I lol'd at the O'Brian reveal. Was gutted at how shite the tazer thing is and the fact that Boozer and Sarah both sit on their arses outside their shack saying nothing. At least add some incidental dialog or something, jeez.

Tis the first enemy you encounter as well right? What a way to start your game; here's a frantic kid that's scared to approach you, go smack it with a stick.

• 2 weeks later...