Days Gone - Sons of Anarchy x Last of Us

Jamie John

It has a very boring opening starring an unlikeable main character (who won't stop talking to himself) and hamfisted storytelling (not helped by said unshutupable main character), making for a wearying few hours of gameplay.

Per the thread, it apparently improves dramatically, but I never made it past the ten hour mark to experience this for myself.

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is Days Gone very boring then, or at least to begin with? I must try it at some point. 

I actually gave up on it after 5 or 6 hours originally.

Then, I went back for some reason (I think there'd been a few updates to sort some tech issues) and I ended up getting the Platinum trophy so it got it's hooks in to me.

Same with Horizon, actually. Played a bit, gave up for a while, went back and absolutely rinsed it for all it was worth!

It’s a pity that none of these interviews have gone into the single strangest design choice in the game, which is the failure to meaningfully introduce hordes until the second half. They’re the killer feature, were heavily advertised - but you don’t need to fight one until at least 20 hours into the game, it’s crazy. 

That slow first few hours is crying out for a mandatory horde encounter. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Is Days Gone very boring then, or at least to begin with? I must try it at some point. 

It’s a slow burner . And then it turns awesome. And it’s absolutely massive 

• 5 months later...

I'm 60 hours in, just beaten the Chemult hoarde. Roughly how much longer do I have left?

To be honest, although it's entertaining it's outstaying its welcome a bit now. I'd really like to put an hour or two more into it to be finished. Any more than that, I think I'll just watch a video of the endgame. 

I'm another in the "gave it a few hours as I'd heard it was good, but bounced off it hard" crowd. I saw a flicker of something interesting in the tunnel scene near the start which was a good idea and something I hadn't seen another game do quite the same way (shooting ahead of a vehicle with the only illumination coming from the headlights) and dashes of flair and creativity here and there. But the characters were terrible, the storytelling clunky and banal and the mechanics of the gameplay not quite polished enough to be engaging. I do keep meaning to give it another go though, for some reason. 

16 minutes ago, Treble said:

I'm 60 hours in, just beaten the Chemult hoarde. Roughly how much longer do I have left?

To be honest, although it's entertaining it's outstaying its welcome a bit now. I'd really like to put an hour or two more into it to be finished. Any more than that, I think I'll just watch a video of the endgame. 

You've definitely more than two hours ahead of you. From memory, more like several dozens.

2 hours ago, df0 said:

You've definitely more than two hours ahead of you. From memory, more like several dozens.

Ah right, in that case

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

It's a very odd game. I was genuinely impressed with the plot and the script, for the most part: you're a douche living on the outskirts of communities; some filled to the brim with douches, some a mix of nice and douchey, some almost completely lovely. The range allows for an arc for Deek, which is good. 

It started to come off the rails for me after:

Spoiler

...you cross the mountains. You're interacting with a bunch of violent incels and essentially doing their bidding. Deek is all like, "I'll do anything to [...] my wife" but the [...] is unclear. Save? She seems happy doing what she's doing, until she's gazumped by scientist with the uber-molotovs. Reconnect? They don't seem to have much in common; even less now than before. Fuck? He does that, and has the option of Rikki who is more interesting, and a better personal fit for him on top of that.

The justification for teaming-up with the Colonel and his cadre of violent militiamen feels weak as well. I'm very concerned the devs are all like, "Yes, there are Nazis out there, but is it really wrong to team up with them if you have to??? Just sayin".

The story felt a bit more nuanced than that early-on (even though you were doing hideous things) but seems to lose all moral direction in the latter half.

The fact you monster the people in the 'marauder' camps as murderers and thieves when they're doing exactly the same as you are is pretty laughable, and the game never addresses that hypocrisy. It really has left me feeling a bit dirty to be honest - edging more and more into Proud boy, incel, tiki-torch-bearing acceptance than I feel is comfortable. Maybe it all turns around at the end? Who knows. I'll watch some vids.

As for the game play, I liked the mechanics, the stealth and the scavenging but it has just started to fall down the trap so many do: too many systems. It's just introduced needing growlers (lol), poison, airbags and a shit-ton of scrap to get anything restocked, re-armed or accomplished. That means you lean on the more run of the mill firearms which you can just pay to restock, rather than chasing down every single blip on the map just in case it's something valuable.

Stealth becomes less viable too, as crowds get larger and, even maxed-out, your Stamina bar is shocking so escape is non-viable. I hereby call for a ban on all Soulsborne stuff like miniscule stamina bars creeping into mainstream action games.

It's one of the oddest AAA games I've played in years. The story is better than most but takes hours to cohere; ditto the gameplay. The plot can't settle on whether you're a hero, anti-hero or villain, which is unsatisfying and the shift in the game so late-on tamps-down the nuance and introduces a lot of bloat. 

It's a shame, as I thought it was quite subtle and intriguing until getting caught-up in its own moral sludginess and grandiosity.

Hmm, if you’re that far maybe not dozens of hours.

Defo more than 2, closer to 8 - 10. For what it’s worth, I loved it. Desert island game for me

I really enjoyed this game and loved sneaking around scvenging bits and pieces and wiping our camps full of bushwackers.

The hordes (and the boss fights) were my least favourite parts of the game, despite being the standout feature.

Yup, what the Scarecrow said. I was pretty happy with how they dealt with grown-up relationships in general. Despite my rant above, I'd definitely say it's a good game. The grimness and iffy morality has definitely started to get to me, though. 

I think I love how none of the characters are likeable. Not comparing, just trying to get my point across; take Nathan Drake. I like Nate as a character but he's comically charming and witty. Deek and Boozer are assholes to themselves, each other and everybody around them. Which is perfectly understandable given the situation they are in. That said, the first handful of hours were rough as it can be very off-putting. Personally, the moment it clicked is quite early where Boozer gets attacked and drinks his sorrow away. He flees the safety of the tower and tries to fist fight a Horde out of sheer frustration and anger. Deek follows him and instead of this emotional scene - you know, the you-have-so-much-to-live-for scene - he says to Boozer "You wanna kill yourself? Let's go, I'll join you".

• 2 months later...

In my mission to play all the PS4 exclusives I’ve missed over the last few years, I started Days Gone a couple of days ago.

I really enjoyed State of Decay 2 and hoped this would be much the same, with improvements for the single player campaign. It is! 

The game is quite beautiful too, playing on a PS4 Pro. I had considered getting the PC port in the past, but I don’t feel I’m missing out on anything, except much faster loading times.

41 minutes ago, bumgut said:

re: the first few hours are boring point:

If you start on hard difficulty, the first few hours are a good tense stealth shooter as you can be overwhelmed easily.

Yeah I think the gameplay is great throughout. First 12-20 hours or so the story is only really finding it’s feet and the characters are still forming. 

I must be nearing the later stages of the game, considering the amount of hours I’ve put in lol. As cheesy and predictable the story is, I really want to see it through to the end! And yes, the snow is pretty awesome!

Question tho…

What level should I be at when I 

Spoiler

Go south and join the militia camp?

I don’t feel particularly powerful and my guns still kinda suck.

Yeah turns out I’ve got a long way to go. 

Spoiler

Deek and his wife finally have a night together… such a weird situation keeping it all secret and her acting so cold. I don’t get it, my guess is she’s been shagging a few folk at the camp. 

It’s a loooong game though, I’ve been putting in 4-5 hrs a day (I’m laid up, off work). Not sure where I can see the total amount of hours I’ve put into it. My guess would be 60ish. Mind you with a PS4 Pro, about a third of that is loading screens 😉

Despite the unlikeable characters and the weird marriage situation, I’m still interested in seeing this all the way to the credits, plus doing all the side quests. 

Yeah I really don't get the unlikeable characters thing. Bar the antagonists, who should be unlikeable everyone else is great. They aren't standard video game characters no, but so what.

It's an unfairly maligned game.

Yeah, Deek and Boozer definitely grow as characters through the game. Glad more folk are enjoying this. I dismissed it as yet another open world zombie game until I played it. I might have to give the game a re-visit to finish off the hoards and infestations

Yeah I guess Deek isn’t really unlikeable, he just has a lot of issues and mumbles to himself a bit too much. He’s a bit more believable than the likes of Nathan Drake… they’re both mass murderers but Drake’s pals still think he’s the salt of the Earth. 

Boozer turns out ok, he’s got a puppy to love, while the drink problems are understandable considering all he’s been through. He’s maybe the best character in the game.

Sarah’s a cold hearted bitch, Deek should’ve dropped her and settled down with Ricki.