IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

It's going to hinge on that kid. Writing kids is hard, for every Ellie there's ten irritating brats or precocious little shits. I saw nothing in the trailer to make me think that the kid is going to be interesting but we'll see I guess.

Huge step up in interest for me. Looks to have obviously taken a leaf from Last of Us, but made it work within its own world. Have never played the earlier games, partly because of my xbox ownership, but also because they just looked so relentlessly violent and hollow. Found the E3 conference whooping as Kratos de-limbs some elephant really quite depressing.

I think it looks stunning, I'm loving the perspective on the over-shoulder-camera, and the zero camera cuts idea sounds excellent. 

I've been sold on it since the first announcement, but just patiently waiting for it, and now it seems to be out earlier than I expected! 

Totally there day one, dropping all other games to play through it. 

I'm slightly dubious about the idea of the game being one unbroken shot. Partly because I'm dubious about long, unbroken shots in films as well - with very few exceptions, they seem like an incredibly expensive and technically challenging way of comparing dick size with other film directors, which serve little purpose other than to highlight how technically skilled and audacious that particular director is.

But mainly because games don't really have cuts in the same way that films do, where edits are one of the fundamental techniques they use to tell stories. In fact, I'd say that gameplay is characterised by the "camera" never cutting away at all - it's more notable when games actually use cuts in the same way that films do, like in Virginia. A film that doesn't use cuts is at least notable because it's the filmmakers consciously not using one of the main tools they have at their disposal to tell a story. A game not having any cuts just sounds like they're aping something from the film world, because cuts are nowhere near as vital a part of game development as they are in filmmaking.

On 24/01/2018 at 14:14, VN1X said:

Half-Life didn't have any 'cuts' either. It's nothing new in videogames. The only difference here being that the tech these days allows to do away with loading zones entirely; which is why having no 'cuts' is a bit more notable. 

It just strikes me as the kind of thing that sounds superficially impressive, but doesn't really add much to the game. As you say, it's probably a technical achievement, but we've had massive open-world games without loading breaks for years, so it's not really a game-changer in that respect. And it's not really an artistic innovation either, because long, unbroken shots are what you normally experience when playing a game. Half-Life was twenty years ago. It does seem to suggest that the cutscenes and dialogue / expository scenes will be done a bit differently to normal, i.e. they won't cut to a close-up of the characters who are speaking, or won't cut to a long shot of you sneaking into the enemy camp or whatever. It presumably also means that there are no flashbacks or jumps forward in time in the game. I'm interested if they really are doing something differently, but the idea of a game with no cutaways doesn't sound that great in itself. 

It sounds a bit like the developers were really impressed by Birdman or Gravity or Children of Men or something, in that David Cage sort of way where the things they do in films are by default the way forward with games.

• 1 month later...

Watched the first section and had to stop. The combat looks immense and I don't want to spoil anymore.

Throwing the axe at an enemy to freeze them, punching a different enemy in front of the first one and then recalling the axe to finish off the enemy being punched by having the axe rip through him on it's way back to your hand!

It seems like this is suffering for being a God of War game. Nobody gives a monkey's about Kratos, surely? Him and his games are like a relic of a previous era, it feels a bit like making a videogame about mashups or Avatar or something. If this was a new franchise, I bet there'd be more interest.

3 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Oh fuckin hell no :(

In all seriousness, it looks fucking fantastic and way more hard arcade action-ey (I don't know how else to describe it!) than Souls even though their inspiration is clear. Even if you don't like Souls, watch the movies posted a few posts up. It looks brutal and great. Don't let my jokey post get you down :)

20 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Kratos seems to have greatly reduced mobility compared to past titles, he can't even climb a wall.

HighAridAustraliansilkyterrier-max-1mb.g

Yes, they went for an entiterely different control scheme. A more arcadey Souls seems pretty apt actually. Apparently there is a much bigger emphasis on puzzles and exploration as well.

Sony Santa Monica was pretty bored with GoW and didn't even want to make a new one, until Barlog came up with a new take on it. No more sex minigames.

Previews tomorrow.

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

It looks so slow. I know a lot of people here like cinematic slow-paced games like Last of Us or Uncharted, but I feel Sony didn't need to make God of War into that sort of game too. Hopefully the final game will still be fun, but so far the trailers show lots of walking about slowly having a chat, and cutscenes, not gameplay.

The leaked gameplay vids show mostly combat though and it certainly doesn't look slow. It looks different for sure, but then again, GoW really ran its course.

20 hours ago, K said:

It seems like this is suffering for being a God of War game. Nobody gives a monkey's about Kratos, surely? Him and his games are like a relic of a previous era, it feels a bit like making a videogame about mashups or Avatar or something. If this was a new franchise, I bet there'd be more interest.

Apathy to the God of War series is very much a European thing, the sales have always been much stronger in the US and the franchise name carries a lot more weight there. Sony have even said that they hope the new direction goes down better in Europe, so I suspect that they're keeping the brand name around for the US market while hoping they can sell the change in direction to the European market.

I know what you mean though; despite the change in direction I'm still keeping any interest at arm's length because of how horribly unpleasant and juvenile the old games were, even though this seems to bear no resemblance to them.