IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

2 hours ago, Majora said:

I know what you mean though; despite the change in direction I'm still keeping any interest at arm's length because of how horribly unpleasant and juvenile the old games were, even though this seems to bear no resemblance to them. 

My interest starts with it being a multi-million dollar AAA eye-melting HDR extravaganza and builds from there.

If it's fun, then that's a bonus.

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

GoW only ran its course if you don't enjoy action games, and basically want an entirely different game.

For anyone doubting the new title reflects the Sony trend of trying to make interactive movies, see the trailer below. Looks like a vast amount of effort went into cinematics and gameplay was given less importance. In fact gameplay is barely mentioned in interviews or trailers, everything is a "narrative experience".

I love action games. But not the same one over and over.

First of all, GoW has always been incredibly cinematic with its QTEs, (CGI) cutscenes and corridor level design tied to a cinematic camera. It's more open now, with more exploration (including Souls' style optional areas and bosses apparently). Secondly, there's lots of footage and previews out and it's still very much a combat game, interspersed with puzzles, exploration and story.

Does this look like a walking simulator to you?

26058457627_d0d50673f9_o.gif

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/817/40222963824_507c846ccf_o.gif

There's lots of praise for the combat actually. It seems to play really well, with the axe being a highly versatile and fun weapon. They even have a high difficulty mode where enemies have conpletely different attack patterns instead of just a damage modifier.

So yes, it's still a combat game, just a different take on it and with presumably better writing and none of the juvenile shit of the previous games, like sex minigames. And no, they don't just talk about the uncut shot.

Looks fun to me and a nice change from the weightless paper cutting of the original games.

And yes, it ran its course so much that nobody at Santa Monica wanted to do the same game for the fifth time. They only started a new GoW because Barlog had a fresh new take on it.

Played the originals, and they were just hack and slash action fest games with bad plotlines. Not terrible, but nothing special. This looks so much better, and instead of the "Oh look, another GoW game, *yawn*" that I usually felt, this made me watch the entire trailer and think "you know what, this actually looks promising".

Hopefully the plot is more involved than the previous titles, which it does seem to be with the inclusion of Kratos' son, and isnt just another "rawr, I wants revenge on the gods for they have wronged me!" killfest.

I think everyone understood the implication. I’m not sure it’s correct. There aren’t RPG or crafting systems in Uncharted, for example. I can’t see that the new God of War is borrowing from Arkham there either. It looks like a more standard light and heavy attacks, dodge, block system.

Fair enough if you don’t like the look of it, but I’m not clear that 6 screenshots is the indictment you seem to think. Uncharted and Horizon don’t have a huge amount in common.

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

The implication is all those games are focused on being cinematic, have a serious plot, share a 3rd person close camera, light RPG and crafting elements and focus on visuals/narrative at the expense of gameplay. The criticism is that Sony games (with a couple of exceptions like Ratchet & Clank) are becoming formulaic, and they're even completely changing God of War to fit this template. A bit like the Ubisoft formula which is mentioned regarding all their games having towers and a similar open world.

It's not a bit like that, it's nothing like that. The gameplay in Horizon Zero Dawn is nothing like, say, Uncharted 4.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

It's not a bit like that, it's nothing like that. The gameplay in Horizon Zero Dawn is nothing like, say, Uncharted 4.

Yeah, it's a lazy narrative. Open world games aren't movie like by definition, with their unscripted, open ended nature. So that leaves out InFAMOUS, Horizon, Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima. The narrative also doesn't fit Ratchet & Clank, GT Sport, Bloodborne, Killzone, Driveclub, Knack, The Last Guardian, Everybody's Golf, Concrete Genie, Gravity Rush 2, Tearaway Unfolded and Dreams. Nor Uncharted and The Last of Us. Detroit, Until Dawn and The Order maybe. Just because a game has cutscenes or is third person doesn't make it movie like. 

Also, GoW's combat is actually nothing like the rhythm action system of Arkham, or any other game in Sony's line-up. The orange blood is enemy specific and the difficulty (depending on which mode you choose) is probably much higher than the original games, which most people beat by using the the same combo over and over again.

37 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

Yeah, it's a lazy narrative.

A lazy narrative expressed with a lazy picture? There's a surprise. 

Saying that Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us and Days Gone all share the same template is utter nonsense. 

I'd also be curious to hear how every Kirby game has evolved and is drastically different from the previous ones too. 

8 hours ago, Kirby said:

Incorrect. God of War traditionally had a story and a few cutscenes, but it never attempted to be an interactive movie like the new title. The removal of transitions between game and cinematics further blurs that line.

In the clip you show there is the removal of gore with yellow "blood" and on-screen prompts for very simple game mechanics. Further evidence the game is dumbed down for a younger audience.

I don't know your level of experience with combat systems in action games, but the new gameplay uses what I call Arkham-combat, as popularised by the Batman game. The weight of your movement has a "sliding" effect, where the game engine automatically slides you towards the nearest enemy when you attack. The effect is to make the game easier and look flashy, at the expense of true player control. 

The sex minigames were fun, and reminiscent of the erotic tropes in horror films. The new game is being a super serious dad simulator, so of course they were removed.

I'm disappointed so many people like this new direction, I'm just tired of every first-party Sony title being shoved into a cookie-cutter cinematic mould. 

o8hxxApY_o.jpg

If it's half as good as those 3 games on the right then we're in for a treat with God of War!

@Kirby, you are so negative! Cheer up man. Maybe GoW is not your cuppa, but for many it looks fantastic. The combat in the older games was simplistic button mashing with hardly any impact behind it. In this new game it looks far more tactical - and more Souls like rather than Batman. I think it looks great :)

12 hours ago, Kirby said:

GoW only ran its course if you don't enjoy action games, and basically want an entirely different game.

For anyone doubting the new title reflects the Sony trend of trying to make interactive movies, see the trailer below. Looks like a vast amount of effort went into cinematics and gameplay was given less importance. In fact gameplay is barely mentioned in interviews or trailers, everything is a "narrative experience".

What on earth are you talking about? :lol: 

All Sony's first party titles are full of amazing gameplay (well, I'll give you Cage... :P). Now we also get a proper attention to the cinematic experience, which games sorely lack. From writing to directing to characterization,  we have finally started paying attention. Come on.

I loved the original GoW games, setting and gameplay. Sure, on normal it's just square, square, triangle, but crank it up to hard and you had some tough old fights on your hands  - crowd control was key and you really had to make your magic uses count.

But even I was tired of it after six games, I don't begrudge them trying something new.

• 3 weeks later...

I fucking love this forum. One post in april and it's only to check if there's a good deal on the game or not. :D

Resetera is such a naive shitshow atm with about 17 threads on God of War all about previews on opinions of previews for reviews and reactions on metacritics and what an amazing achievement this game is based on a blurb by the developers themselves. Good grief.