IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

Replayed this recently and I love it even more after a 2nd play through. I really took my time soaking up the atmosphere this time around. It’s not perfect, but it’s still one of my games of the generation. 

• 7 months later...

Yeah its definitely a good game; takes a bit of time for the combat to really open up but the post game challenges are a lot of fun. Absolutely worth the money at £20 or less (though I guess it will be PS+ next year sometime).

I'd have preferred it to be a bit more linear since the "open" world and dungeon area designs aren't great but hopefully the sequel takes what works and builds on that.

Yeah I got the Platinum as well; the Valkyries and the combat arena stuff made it worthwhile, definitely the highlight for me. It threw a fair mix of enemy types at you simultaneously and felt like a pretty-looking take on God Hand at times.

It wasnt my top game of the year but it did come out the same year as Celeste and Hollow Knight so there was tough competition. 

It's fine. For all the talk of how it had matured over earlier titles, it was absolutely at its best when Kratos was smashing things up. It also felt narratively like a third of a game stretched to breaking point - nearly all the promise of fights to come, and clashes with Gods talked of in hushed, fearful tones... never happen. It's sequelmongering at its worst.

I got the super cheap CDkeys deal myself, since I'd never played through Give Me God of War mode back then. Not too far into the new playthrough, just met blacksmith brother number two. It's reasonably tough, one mistake can cost a lot of time spent slowly whittling down enemies.

On 20/05/2019 at 20:32, Uncle Nasty said:

There are a couple, but heavily scripted and far apart. Nothing like the epic fights of the originals.

Looking it up, apparently they had to cut the boss fights: https://screenrant.com/god-war-boss-fight-director-response/

At least we got all that amazing sailing around doing nothing and backtracking, though.

I liked the sailing. Arguably my favourite part of the game. Then again I thought the sailing was by far the best part of Zelda the Wind Walker.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying this. No idea why people would use the game design as a criticism, it seems to have lots in common with stuff like Zelda, Darksiders or even Tomb Raider 2013. Love the dynamic between Kratos and BOY, especially the little stories Kratos tells in the boat.

And my god, visually it's stunning. I thought base PS4 games would look a bit limsy after spending time on X1X but it's incredible what they've done with the old kit, even though it does make it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

And finished. Loved it.

One question for now, which I haven't seen raised anywhere else, somehow

So Kratos' missus was a giant, was she? Correct me if I'm wrong but the giants in this game were some Unicron-sized fuckers, not the sort you can wrap in a blanket and cremate into a small leather pouch. Maybe I missed a lore stone or something which goes into detail about "not all giants are giants" or something.

14 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

And finished. Loved it.

One question for now, which I haven't seen raised anywhere else, somehow

Hide contents

So Kratos' missus was a giant, was she? Correct me if I'm wrong but the giants in this game were some Unicron-sized fuckers, not the sort you can wrap in a blanket and cremate into a small leather pouch. Maybe I missed a lore stone or something which goes into detail about "not all giants are giants" or something.

Basically...

Spoiler

Yes, giants aren't actually giants. In fact, the norse word for giants doesn't actually mean giant, but it's a kinda close aproximation, and that stuck ... to the point of it forming part of the legend.

While on the subject of "Kratos' missus", her name is Nal (translates to Needle) and she is indeed the mother of Loki in Norse mythology. Loki's father in Norse mythology is Farbauti, and that name basically translates to something like "he who strikes dangerous blows" ... remind you of anyone?

What the devs did with this game is absolutely fantastic. :D

On the back of the above I've delved into another playthrough of this, but I'm javifn trouble with some of the HDR on my LG C9 OLED:

_20200117_205304.thumb.JPG.68aba8d26d9582a94294bc958cd32bc7.JPG

The sky did not look like that on my Samsung KS7000 in HDR, so just what the actual fucking fuck is going on. 

@EvilBoris any ideas? 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

On the back of the above I've delved into another playthrough of this, but I'm javifn trouble with some of the HDR on my LG C9 OLED:

_20200117_205304.thumb.JPG.68aba8d26d9582a94294bc958cd32bc7.JPG

The sky did not look like that on my Samsung KS7000 in HDR, so just what the actual fucking fuck is going on. 

@EvilBoris any ideas? 

Well, on my tv it looks wonderful:

_20200117_205304.thumb.JPG.68aba8d26d9582a94294bc958cd32bc7.jpg.ba387bcfc5e6f9d4da687b6c4b583a8a.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent news, but I'm also getting out the popcorn at the prospect of the same nutcases as before destroying their PS4s because of Sony's betrayal :lol:

Also, if you can afford it this really makes a decent PC by far the most all-round platform. Not only does it have the best versions of everything multiplatform and BC stretching back to the dawn of time, it has all the PC exclusives, all the Xbox exclusives, all the third party Sony exclusives, and now it apparently will also get the Sony first party exclusives. Damn.

Spoiler

PC also has all the Nintendo exclusives if you're in the know :P

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Excellent news, but I'm also getting out the popcorn at the prospect of the same nutcases as before destroying their PS4s because of Sony's betrayal :lol:

Spoiler

Relatively calm so far.

This is all fine and dandy, GoW is a nice game though a bit overrated in my book, but where is the PC version of Bloodborne, Sony? That and The Last Guardian are two gems that would benefit so much from a PC version.

• 1 month later...

Gave up on this very early on at launch as I found it rather dull. I stopped playing pretty much after the first troll fight.

Started again yesterday and this time I’m enjoying it. The difference is not trying to play it like PS2 God of War. Having said that, I remember there being a huge fuss about the ‘epic’ stranger fight. I’m clearly missing something, as I just thought it dragged on. I’ve only played for a couple of hours now, but unlike my first attempt I’m looking forward to getting back to it.