IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

• 1 month later...

Started this today, putting in a couple of hours. Initial thoughts are it’s a spectacular looking game, even if that means my Pro is so loud I reverted to headphones. Actually not a bad trade-off because the soundtrack and sfx are lovely (and meaty)

Replayed GOW3 the past week and already think I prefer the combat in this. I’m button-mashing (and dying) far less, and like the assistance Atreus provides. Not sure if there will be a fuller explanation for Kratos’ being in Norway but doesn’t really matter. Prefer his world weary seething to his younger fury (although the Blades of Exile would be welcome at times). That said, the Leviathan Axe is great, and once the throw-punch-recall axe mechanic clicks, combat feels really fresh.

Really good first impressions, it’s an impressive evolution for the series. Looking forward to seeing where the game goes.

35 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Glad you are enjoying it. This was my first GoW experience and it actually took a while longer than you for it to click for me but built beautifully once it did. You are in for a real treat. :) 

Replaying GOW3 so recently highlighted a lot of the series’ limitations, so think that has an influence on how much I’m into this so far because it is such an evolutionary step forward.

I’ve not long met Brok, and think a few more systems are still to be outlined. Enjoying soaking everything in and exploring at a leisurely pace :)

It really is a tremendous game and having played every GoW game before it I actually really struggled with the combat for the first few hours. In fact, the opening battle where you first encounter the basic Draugs was one of the hardest sections for me. I cant remember dying at any other part of the game as much as I did during that section, purely because I was in the mindset of KRATOS KILL PUNY MONSTER. The combat is far more strategic and calculating than previous GoW games but is the better for it as the stuff you can do as you progress is just glorious.

I'm about 6 hours into a NG+ replay so look forward to hearing your thoughts as you progress @glb and we can compare specific sections.

Will do! Grabbing some lunch and getting a haircut then journeying back to Midgard.

My first instinct with the first Draugs was button-mash-them-monsters-good! But then I took two hits, lost most of my health and, being determined not to die in the first section, realised my shield actually blocked and hid behind that with the occasional swipe until I finally got through it. Probably took longer than beating Zeus in GOW3.

I posted about this before I think, but there is a battle early on (the arena fight where you first meet the heavy draugrs busting though a wall) and I really really struggled with it. I died loads and got a bit annoyed at it (as my own pride took over having beaten some From games and thinking I should be breezing it) but the combat evolves a lot from those early stages (pretty much right the way through the game in fact) and it probably ended up the hardest mob fight for me in the end.

You have a lot more to come and the scope just grows and grows :) One of the games of the generation for me no doubt.

Another aspect that takes a bit of getting used is Atreus. He is essentially your dedicated ranged attack and I lost count of the amount of times I completely forgot to weave him into the combat because I was so focussed on Kratos. But he is unbelievably powerful, especially for setting up attack windows or just giving you a chance to gather Kratos after taking a few hits.

40 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

But he is unbelievably powerful, especially for setting up attack windows or just giving you a chance to gather Kratos after taking a few hits.

I agree and would also argue essential for countering the... (warning: don't open unless you are very far into the game)

Spoiler

Valkyries airborne attacks

A few more solid hours done, and have reached...

Spoiler

Alfheim

I spent a fair bit of time before that exploring the previous section. Shot a few crows, collected some collectibles and generally stood in awe of how beautiful the world is. Realised there are a few upgrades to be had and discoveries to be made in order to progress further so guess the backtracking can come later.

Have reached a point where I’m slightly overwhelmed with some combat skills, and need to practice using the new techniques to get a better flow in combat. Admittedly only playing on balanced (normal?) and since the initial encounter the most problematic fight has been on a small beach with a dude who kept recharging his health. Well him and the enemies a few levels above mine who ended Kratos with one hit.

Thoroughly enjoying things five hours in, it’s such a huge upgrade on 3. The interaction between Kratos, Arteus and, erm, the people they meet (that don’t need killing) is great. Couple of really funny lines too (“I did not hurt my back”)

The journey continues Sunday!

Another few hours. Have reached...

Spoiler

... The Summit.

The battle just before that with Hraezlyr is glorious. Having trekked through dingy mountain caverns to then be confronted with such a huge scale (ha!) fight is such a great moment.

Took some time practicing with new fighting skills and have had some ‘in the zone’ fights. The fighting feels so beefy, a few upgrades really help things along too.

No idea how long the game is but really fancy the platinum. Have one for Spider-Man and Horizon New Dawn, feels like a nice little set of Sony exclusives to complete.

21 minutes ago, glb said:

No idea how long the game is but really fancy the platinum. Have one for Spider-Man and Horizon New Dawn, feels like a nice little set of Sony exclusives to complete.

Go for it! The platinum is harder/longer than Spider-Man but doable. It will definitely elongate the time you spend in the game vs focusing on the story but for the most part I enjoyed doing that. There are a couple of grind points and difficulty spikes along the way which I could see putting some people off but I've seen way worse on that front.

I've not played HZD (have recently bought it actually) but have this, Spider-Man and Bloodborne in my cabinet for exclusives :)

Think I will! How long did it take you to get the platinum? I’m in no rush, although hopefully there’s nothing missable?

A few more hours today, a few more areas starting to open up. Vaguely remember some I thought I’ll need to revisit but can’t remember where they were now :lol:

Don’t really mind retracing steps at the minute, it’s such a beautiful environment to explore, and Arteus’ naive enthusiasm being tempered by Kratos’ jaded outlook makes for some funny moments.

Had a couple of battles where I took a few goes. Usually I get frustrated but each death felt fair, so just took my time and enjoyed finally getting past the section.

Do appreciate how well designed everything feels. I’ll no doubt say it every post, but it is a staggeringly good game. I can’t remember such a drastic redesign with a jump in quality between two games in the same series. 3 is enjoyable but this is so far evolved and all the better for it.

7 minutes ago, glb said:

How long did it take you to get the platinum?

Erm, I honestly can't remember as I just lost myself in big chunks of it and didn't really keep a track. Gut feel would be maybe 50-60 hours. I basically got hooked and played for 2-4 hours almost every night after my wife fell asleep for about a month. :) 

Caveat... I did use a guide a few times to mop up some collectables but I would say I found probably about 85-90%+ just playing and exploring. In some cases after hunting around an area I decided to clear just it so I didn't get too jaded and move on. There is also a bit of a grindy bit later on which I don't want to say to much about, however on that after a couple of runs through I decided to knock the difficulty down a notch to speed it up a bit. You'll know the bit when you get to it.

I don't think anything is missable from memory but I could be wrong.

Cool, yeah don’t mind a bit of a grind as long as it’s not frustrating. And on balanced difficulty as generally prefer enjoying an experience, especially with this type of game. Feels right so far, and offers a good tempo.

Met a...

Spoiler

Valkyrie. Got my arse absolutely handed to me, even on normal. Couldn’t even dodge some yellow attacks, and her red one wrecked me.

I was level 3. I’ll wait until I’m about level 612 until I try again. Wow.

Otherwise still amazing. The scale impressed me in my latest session. Definitely noticing a slight incline in difficulty and some areas where, although I can visit them, I’m clearly too low level to get far.

Spoiler

Reached into a realm tear and out popped some level 7 dickhead. He one-hit killed me. I am cry.

2 hours ago, glb said:

Met a...

:bye:

Yeah there are certainly a few things to come back to in the game so don't feel bad about moving on and just putting a line in the grudge list. I went the other way and scoured everything I could find and actually felt a little over levelled but certainly I wouldn't be going into those encounters until a fair bit higher (think I was level 5 when I started them).

17 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

:bye:

Yeah there are certainly a few things to come back to in the game so don't feel bad about moving on and just putting a line in the grudge list. I went the other way and scoured everything I could find and actually felt a little over levelled but certainly I wouldn't be going into those encounters until a fair bit higher (think I was level 5 when I started them).

Cool. I’m trying to avoid any looking online at things related to the game but did so with them just because it felt like such a spike and I was dreading what’s being really enjoyable becoming a bit of a ‘mare. Consensus seemed to be at least level 5 or 6. Being generally crap at such things, 8 or 9 should be safer :)

I do like knowing there are points that are currently just beyond me, although I did take down a level 5...

Spoiler

... Traveller, which I was pleased with.

He was much more straightforward than the Valkyrie because he was so slow and easy to dodge. Wore him down then unleashed rage. A bit after that when I could free a dragon was tricky. I decided to go back to it later.

Arteus is sick now. Even with the Blades of Chaos I’m missing his help. Sarcastic Scottish accented dismembered head calling people knobs is an unexpectedly good turn though.

Think I’ll play a chunk of main story next, get to level 5, then explore around the nine bridges again.

More adventures in Midgard. Nearing level 6 (I think, I’m still not entirely sure how my level is increasing :lol:) Went back to an area that was punishing on level 3 and cleared it out in under a minute. Kratos smash!

Could do with a bit more of a detailed checklist to save a little bit of back-tracking, but the game isn’t too vast to be a chore, just a small QOL improvement.

Think I’ve got to a point of no return in the story, so deciding whether to push on and then clean up or explore a bit more. Think once I do reach 6, I’ll get the story done.

Spoiler

Tried another Valkyrie at level 5 and still got ruined. Think that’ll be the bit that prevents a platinum.

Not complaining - yet - and they are clearly there to test players. However, feels like the only real imbalance so far. They are so punishing versus everything else in the game, which at least allow for some trial and error.

I finished it for the first time a few months ago. 

It's in my top 3 this gen and I didn't even bother with sidequest and collectable stuff (I rarely do that these days in any game, I just want core campaigns in games now)

Agree on it being close to top games this gen. It’s beautifully designed, with so many grin-inducing moments.

HZD, Spider-Man and this. Holy cow that’s some line-up of exclusives. Been a pleasure playing them.

Seeing a Ragnarok sequel teased at the PS5 preview is also exciting!

15 hours ago, glb said:

Think I’ve got to a point of no return in the story, so deciding whether to push on and then clean up or explore a bit more. Think once I do reach 6, I’ll get the story done.

Sounds like you are at the point to decide if it's story or story+ for you to be honest.

There are a few "endgame" type locations/challenges which sit totally aside from the main narrative as optional bits (sounds like you've found one already ;) ) if you want to do them (you have to for the platinum btw). The difficulty does ramp up a fair bit in those though so be ready to face a bit more of a challenge going in. Good fun though!

I really want to play through this again, seeing that it's coming to PS Plus at the PS5 launch and that it'll run in the PS4 Pro mode with a higher framerate seems to be the perfect opportunity. I would kill for a PS5 patch for constant 60fps though. As much as I'm looking forward to the sequel I'd put money on it being pushed back to 2022.

9 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Sounds like you are at the point to decide if it's story or story+ for you to be honest.

There are a few "endgame" type locations/challenges which sit totally aside from the main narrative as optional bits (sounds like you've found one already ;) ) if you want to do them (you have to for the platinum btw). The difficulty does ramp up a fair bit in those though so be ready to face a bit more of a challenge going in. Good fun though!

Finished the story now, but not bothering with NG+, just hoovering up whatever is left. However, may have painted myself into a corner with my build as my luck and runic stats are really low. Should have paid more attention to how stats worked early on.

I am at least level 7 and currently...

Spoiler

...back in Nilfheim collecting mists.

To be brutally honest, having beaten the spectacular story (Loki! :omg:), I’m not really arsed about an extended grind.

Getting mists to open chests and get armour is taking me ages so may just whack it on story mode now and see everything there is to see at a more relaxed pace, relatively speaking.

Certainly some small improvements that could be made with Ragnarok but a brilliant game on the whole. I’ll have a session tomorrow afternoon and decide if I really want the platinum.

Cheesy, but I dropped down to story mode for the post-game stuff. Started out on normal but...

Spoiler

...earning enough mists to unlock the realm tears in Niflheim was going to take me forever. At least now I can gather 2-3k mists in a run and see all the game has to offer.

Finished the mountain trials. Gondul was still a pain in the arse on easy, no way I’d have beaten her on a higher difficulty. Just could get the timing on the dodging right. It’s cool there is a higher challenge for good gamers but having never been adept at boss battles I’m not too arsed about taking the cheap option.

One thing I’m glad I did is pop headphones in for the last few hours. Not only because the game’s audio is spectacular, but also really helps with audio cues from Odin’s ravens. Couldn’t hear them listening through the TV and over the sound of my Pro’s fans whirring. The axe callback noise also sounds so beefy through headphones!

And Christopher Judge should voice all future film trailers. His voice is so deep it makes Vin Diesel sound like he’s huffing helium.

11 hours ago, carlospie said:

That boss is the hardest boss iv ever fought. I literally wailed after I beat it. I cheesed the fuck out of it and used every super going and didn't care one bit. 

My problem is I’m rubbish at boss fights anyway. As soon as I get an opening, I fumble, throw my axe about a mile wide of the target, attempt a few bare-handed strikes because I’ve forgotten to recall my axe, and then she stomps on my head and I’m near-enough dead. All the while I forget to use Atreus’ specials because I’m so focused on trying to avoid the next wave of bullshit she throws my way.

I’m genuinely in awe of the people who’ve beaten her, especially on any of the harder levels (the video on the previous page is crazy)

Think I’ll have to set aside an hour or two, accept I’m going to die a lot and then hope I can become tuned to her movements and somehow fluke a victory.