God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

11 hours ago, carlospie said:

That boss is the hardest boss iv ever fought.

Martyr Logarius (Bloodborne): Hold my beer. :omg:

I'm joking as this one was definitely up there in my list of hardest fights as well and it's such a jump up in this game from everything else it feels like a real shock. 

My approach was...

Spoiler

I made sure I had everything up to max (mist armour, fully levelled, everything - literally my save is in that arena as it was the last button I pressed in the game). Technique wise I found my best attempts were to be defensive for the majority of the time and then get a flurry of attacks in when she has a short breather. If you can get her stun up then you open up a bigger attack window which is then time to spam the special attacks. 

Also keep Atreus ready with ammo at all times to ping her if she starts hovering as nothing good comes from that move set and just one arrow will knock her back down again and interrupt it.

Phew...

Spoiler

Spent some time maxing Kratos’ armour before heading back to say hi to Sigrun.

First attempt this afternoon got her down to one bar. Wasn’t even mad when she rallied and ruined me despite being so close because I finally knew I could beat her.

After a few more close runs went away to fill my rage meter, and this proved decisive. Gave me the option to get back some health when I stunned her and could unleash rage attacks. Conserving the second bar was helpful too as she doesn’t stay still long enough to fully unleash rage (at least not with my skills)

Was really comfortable on my eventual victory, right until her last two bars when my realisation I was close almost let her back in. It’s amazing how quickly you can go from near full health to ‘HEAD’ sounding panicked as she unleashes her beefier moves. Knowing I was close I kind of panicked and just spammed attacks, fortunately had runes charged. Finally saw the R3 prompt and then hammered the button as I ran towards her. Felt amazing when the victorious cutscene played.

Even on easy that felt like a real challenge, albeit never one that was unfair. She is just really, really quick leaving little room for error (imagine there’s no room on harder difficulties) Do like how the other eight set you up for her too. Another bit of excellent design in a brilliant game.

So relieved to have that out the way. Now can spend a leisurely few hours hunting the remaining treasure and a dozen or so ravens that are left to get the platinum :)

4 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Solid work, well done :sealclap: 

I did get a rush of blood, ooh let’s try on normal... noooooope. I’m glad I stuck with normal for the main game, but for the optional stuff afterwards ‘easy’ was like a nice reward.

So amped for the sequel...

Spoiler

... the axe mechanic is blatantly now a set-up for Kratos to steal Thor’s hammer, isn’t it?

I started this last night and it seems excellent so far. I whacked it straight on Hard hoping for a "brutal but not as brutal as Sekiro" experience. It's certainly tough, with big health bars for enemies and a teeny-tiny one for Kratos, but certainly manageable.

Am I going to be banging my head against a wall if I persist playing on Hard as a first play-through? I like my combat tough and engaging so I properly learn the intricacies rather than coasting, but don't want it to be a slog.

I played on hard first time and found it extremely challenging in places, but not unfair. It’s also one of those games that gets slightly easier after a few hours in when the pace of the combat and the camera perspective properly click. Be warned though, you’ll meet a fair few one hit kill baddies when you’re under-levelled, but that’s all part of the fun of exploring.

On 23/09/2020 at 09:39, CarloOos said:

I played on hard first time and found it extremely challenging in places, but not unfair. It’s also one of those games that gets slightly easier after a few hours in when the pace of the combat and the camera perspective properly click. Be warned though, you’ll meet a fair few one hit kill baddies when you’re under-levelled, but that’s all part of the fun of exploring.

I played again last night and am still struggling with what difficulty to choose. It's rock-hard on Hard, but I can see what I need to do. I love figuring out how to win, and lusting after the upgrades I'm yet to unlock to tip the balance in my favour.

However, I spent about 40 mins on an early fight against a Revenant, 2 heavy Draugrs, and then 2 ranged Draugrs drop in, one of which is purple. I worked out how to beat all those enemies but there was so little margin for error with my little health bar that I just couldn't manage it. Before I turned in for the night I dropped it to medium then tore through the fight with 80% health remaining.

Hmm. I do really like the challenge but I want to get through the game. Is it one of those games that actually gets objectively easier once you upgrade?

14 minutes ago, Pob said:

Is it one of those games that actually gets objectively easier once you upgrade?

In my opinion yes. I played it on normal but the hardest parts of the game were the first 4 hours and then the end game bosses. The bit in-between was very beatable once you get the upgrades flowing.

Just my 2p worth but a bit like Fallen Order I feel it's a game to enjoy the story and scenery as much as the challenge of combat. I don't think it's as tight a combat system, or as rewarding a challenge, as something like a Soulsborne game, but it is a richer, more vibrant and more accessible narrative. For me it's about dialling in a difficulty that presents a challenge to overcome but doesn't break the momentum in enjoying those aspects too much.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

In my opinion yes. I played it on normal but the hardest parts of the game were the first 4 hours and then the end game bosses. The bit in-between was very beatable once you get the upgrades flowing.

Just my 2p worth but a bit like Fallen Order I feel it's a game to enjoy the story and scenery as much as the challenge of combat. I don't think it's as tight a combat system, or as rewarding a challenge, as something like a Soulsborne game, but it is a richer, more vibrant and more accessible narrative. For me it's about dialling in a difficulty that presents a challenge to overcome but doesn't break the momentum in enjoying those aspects too much.

Haha, exactly. At the moment it seems like there might be a gulf between Normal and Hard, and I want somewhere inbetween! If I was just 50% tougher I feel like it would be fine. When I dropped it down to normal I felt about 300% tougher.

Maybe go normal for a bit and then pump it back up to hard a bit later on when more is unlocked? I'm not entirely sure where you are up to but the game opens up a few hours in and provides a lot more places/paths to explore so you can control your enemy level a bit more.

Okay so I soldiered on on Hard last night and didn't hit any more brick walls. I've started to get some gear upgrades which is helping, and I defeated the second troll and the first ogre without too much bother. I've just warped to the realm of Alfheim, and progress is good. In fact, if I'd realised that the red pickups refill your rage meter then the fight I was stuck on two nights ago would've been much easier! :facepalm:

Absolutely brilliant game so far - I look forward to every fight. Throwing that axe is just as satisfying as I'd hoped!

I'm playing this at the moment as well - not on hard though, normal only, my  abilities in (combat) games are no great shakes.  The camera has caused me a bit of gyp in some fights, follows  you around sometimes so you can't see where there enemy is , directional markers notwithstanding.

When I originally played it I gave up after the 1st confrontation with Baldur(?) , multi stage boss fight with an irritating shit that early in the game annoyed the crap out of me, restarted it and pushed past it , great decision, it's a wonderful game and some of the set pieces are eye boggling.

5 hours ago, lolly said:

I'm playing this at the moment as well - not on hard though, normal only, my  abilities in (combat) games are no great shakes.  The camera has caused me a bit of gyp in some fights, follows  you around sometimes so you can't see where there enemy is , directional markers notwithstanding.

When I originally played it I gave up after the 1st confrontation with Baldur(?) , multi stage boss fight with an irritating shit that early in the game annoyed the crap out of me, restarted it and pushed past it , great decision, it's a wonderful game and some of the set pieces are eye boggling.

That fight is frustrating until you realise you’re not supposed to win it. I do like how Kratos’ tendency to destroy everything in his path is scaled back from the player early on; he’s much less potent in the earlier stages, with a lot of fights feeling like they can go bad quickly.

Obviously that changes with each new area and upgrade. Played on normal (mostly) too and found it a firm but fair challenge. It’s a wonderful game, and fantastic evolution for the series.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's one of those "how far through am I?" posts:

I've just scaled the corpse of an enormous hammer-wielding giant and am trying to get a chisel to craft a key to Jotenheim or something. Feels like I'm maybe a third through. I'm going to try to make this the swansong for the generation and get it finished in the next two weeks, before the XSX arrives.

55 minutes ago, Pob said:

I've just scaled the corpse of an enormous hammer-wielding giant and am trying to get a chisel to craft a key to Jotenheim or something. Feels like I'm maybe a third through. I'm going to try to make this the swansong for the generation and get it finished in the next two weeks, before the XSX arrives.

I'm saving it for the vast improvements on PS5. 

3 hours ago, Pob said:

Kind of depends on how much of the side stuff you have done/want to do. If you are focusing on the main chapters I'd say you are a tad under half way from memory. 

1 minute ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Kind of depends on how much of the side stuff you have done/want to do. If you are focusing on the main chapters I'd say you are a tad under half way from memory. 

I've done all the the side stuff I can so far, and sailed all round the lake of nine accessing everywhere that was open.

I gather that a lot of optional content is kind of super-tough post campaign stuff?

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

I've done all the the side stuff I can so far, and sailed all round the lake of nine accessing everywhere that was open.

I gather that a lot of optional content is kind of super-tough post campaign stuff?

Technically speaking you can access everything before the end of the campaign so it's up to you if/when you do that. Of the optional bits most of it is a little bit more challenging than the main story but is fine, however there is one particular difficulty spike which is next-level tough and a big step change from the rest off the game.

I’d recommend going for the side stuff, time permitting, of course. It’s doable in two weeks, but depends on the time per day you have.

Its an attainable platinum too, and one that lets you savour the gorgeous world Santa Monica built. Would be a fine swansong for the generation.

I finished the main story last night, a full 8 days ahead of schedule! I properly fucking loved this game and have been playing it as much as possible this last week. With most games I have to admit I've got one eye on the progress meter, half-hoping it's coming to an end, but I never really felt that with this, despite it being quite lengthy.

I really, really loved the combat, to the point that I often found myself sprinting forward in the hope that more Draugrs would come out of the ground ready to have their skulls cleaved in two. I just couldn't wait to get stuck in again. I don't play many melee-focused games as there is usually quite a steep learning curve and lots of buttons and combos to remember. Between Ninja Gaiden and Sekiro, both of which I loved, I've picked up and drifted away from Devil May Cry 3 and 4, Metal Gear Rising, NG2 and probably a few others. I've also never got into Dark Souls or Bloodborne.

I found this, on the second-hardest difficulty, had a really well-pitched combat system, after an insanely tough first few hours. It's a bit button-mashy but I made an effort to integrate a load of different moves into fights and I found them endlessly fun. Creating space for an executioner's cleave, freezing an enemy in place with an axe-throw then spartan-kicking his buddy into a bottomless pit, taking a second to switch stances then unleashing those spinning axe combos, slowing time with a deflect - just so many satisfying and meaty techniques that perfectly complimented the raging mountain of fury that I was inhabiting.

I haven't attempted to defeat any valkyrie yet, nor have I visited the optional realms. To be honest I can't wait to get back to it. I like the structure of a relatively direct main path but with extra post-story content and rewards for those who want more. It's a good leaf to take out of the loot game playbook.

All in all, this was a superlative way for me to end this console generation. I need to reflect on it a bit more, but it way have made it's way into my top 10 of the generation.

It's my 2nd best game on the PS4 after Horizon Zero Dawn. Looking forward to playing it again on the PS5 at some point next year.

I'm loving the end-game stuff. I've done three valkyries - brilliant fights. I'm also addicted to Niflheim (Realm of Fog). A roguelike maze/random battle generator with lovely loot is the perfect post-story activity. They've nailed the structure of this game.

Couldn't get far into Muspelheim though - I can barely last for two minutes in the "survive for five minutes" challenge.

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

I'm loving the end-game stuff. I've done three valkyries - brilliant fights. I'm also addicted to Niflheim (Realm of Fog). A roguelike maze/random battle generator with lovely loot is the perfect post-story activity. They've nailed the structure of this game.

Couldn't get far into Muspelheim though - I can barely last for two minutes in the "survive for five minutes" challenge.

Has it been confirmed if there are cross saves/cloud saving on PS5? 

Finished it earlier this year for first time and I just did the main quest (didn't want to do sidequests as they add a lot of bloat) 

Would like to pick it up again and do some side stuff if it's decent. 

3 minutes ago, Ry said:

Has it been confirmed if there are cross saves/cloud saving on PS5? 

Finished it earlier this year for first time and I just did the main quest (didn't want to do sidequests as they add a lot of bloat) 

Would like to pick it up again and do some side stuff if it's decent. 

It'll be the same game, so yes. It has an unlocked framerate option so it'll be 60fps.

28 minutes ago, Pob said:

It'll be the same game, so yes. It has an unlocked framerate option so it'll be 60fps.

Em... I was asking about saves. :)

So when I load up GoW my save will be there even though Sony don't do cloud streaming. 

Might’ve misunderstood you - all PS4 games will just work unless they’ve had some kind of next-gen makeover in which case it’s up to the developer to try to make it work. 

Ah I see - I confused you with the 60 frames talk.