rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

@FiveFootNinja, it is indeed a fantastic game. The platinum is very achievable, as well - you can get it in one playthrough and it encourages you to see everything the game has to offer. I'd recommend going for it.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

@FiveFootNinja, it is indeed a fantastic game. The platinum is very achievable, as well - you can get it in one playthrough and it encourages you to see everything the game has to offer. I'd recommend going for it.

I probably will give it a go. I've got the platinum for Bloodborne and Spider-man already so it would be rude not to add this to the collection too.

• Upvote 1

I never bothered with the birds and runes. When I have to rely on guides for collectibles, I'm out.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I never bothered with the birds and runes. When I have to rely on guides for collectibles, I'm out.

Yeah, generally I prefer that if a game does have collectibles it has some sort of mechanic/map inside the game to help find them, even if it doesn't get unlocked until after the main campaign is over or something.

I'm on 33 of 51 ravens finding them as I go so far so I'll see where I get to but I'm hoping there aren't too many to mop up at the end.

I'm loving this too - I'm not sure if I'll go for the platinum but it's a solid game that's a joy to play.

Roughly at level 5 - no idea how far in I am but just unlocked the 

Spoiler

Blades of chaos

The resulting carnage with the frost twats who are immune to the axe was simply delicious. :lol:

I may have actually roared.....

• Upvote 3

I've done a short sprint this weekend on the main quest line stuff pretty much from where you are @Boothjan, partly because it was a kind of locked in path, but also I felt like I needed to resolve a few things :) However I have just... 

Spoiler

...forged Tyr's sigil.

It feels a bit like I'm entering the final Act and was a bit of a natural beat, so I have gone back to exploring for a while. Midgard is now at 91% complete with lots of the areas now fully done. And I've just taken on a favour that has lead me to a new, large area, which I think should take me to somewhere near 95% complete looking at the lists. I also went for a wander around...

Spoiler

...Muspelheim and completed a few trials and have just crafted a very tasty set of armour. 8-) And with that went and kicked another Valkyrie back to Valhalla (but also got absolutely pummelled by two others that I tried so there is work to be done).

As it stands I've used a guide for about 8 of the ravens if I haven't been able to track them down after a good explore of an area, and feel fairly vindicated as several of them have been very obscure to find. But everything else has been discovered through natural movement around the areas, or some more dedicated exploring to try and mop up missing bits. I don't feel too bad about it though as I've not hit collectable fatigue like I have with so many other games. Still loving this and hoping to wrap up the story this week and then see how much is left over to do for the platinum.

• Upvote 2

I just finished this for the first time last night. 

Amazing game, one of the best this gen. Going from TLOU 2 and then playing this. What a double header. 

• Upvote 4

Well it's 2am... and for about the 10th obsessive night in a row I've stayed up too late and just turned off God of War with heavy eyes... except this time with a new platinum trophy on the shelf. :omg:

What a thoroughly kick ass game. I posted previously that I had a bit of a slow start with it, but my word does it open up into something truly epic. I still feel the combat is just not quite as tight as it could be (some really great games have been ruined by Bloodborne) but what it lacks in finesse there it makes up for in giant sized bucket fulls of breathtaking scenery and set pieces. The story is solid too and, as a fan of all things norse, I loved how they weaved things together and brought some of the sagas to life in interesting ways. Also, as a father of a young boy, there were even a few little touching character moments that I would not have put money on going into this blind. Dad of War is strong.

If I had one complaint...

Spoiler

Sigrun is a total pain in the arse. After smashing through pretty much everyone else in the game with a handful of attempts I ended up trying her after my first runs through Muspelheim and Nilfheim, just before the final mission. However after about 15 attempts and - in frustration of not getting her past 50% health - left her and polished off the story/Baldur, did another few runs around the challenge realms to max my armour and upgrades to get to level 9 and then came back to finish business.

She isn't a difficulty curve, she's a vertical cliff compared to everything else and not in really in a good way as it's too much of a gear shift (and that's from someone who likes a soulsborne challenge). She was definitely my 'Martyr Logarius' of this game, but I got there in the end and she's flying free of her curse now. :D 

It's a really really solid game though and yet another fantastic PS4 exclusive. Sony have smashed it this generation and credit to them. Horizon Zero Dawn is downloading as we speak which I plan to get onto after a little indie game palette cleanser.

"Cheer for your father's victory boy!"

gow.thumb.jpeg.b8060d9076d1d58fd82c08a7889ae8b4.jpeg

• Upvote 6

@FiveFootNinja - great stuff. Glad you went for the platinum. It's the best way to get the most from the game.

Re your spoiler, I also struggled with her. I played the game on hard, but this was the only time I had to drop it down a notch after spending hours bashing my head against that wall. Thankfully, the game doesn't punish you for doing so. Watch this if you want to feel bad about yourself:

Spoiler

The concentration :lol:

• Upvote 2

Thanks @Jamie John I ran it on normal but dropped it down for some speed runs of challenges to get resources faster.

Just got an email from PlayStation with my stats and it reckons I spent 54 hours on it which is more than I thought. 

Re: Your video in the spoiler... wow! I’m so many levels below that skill wise. Very impressive.

• Upvote 1

What difficulty was it on? 

Fuck.... that!!

I have started playing my NG+ save again and this really is / was a stellar title. I put it on the 3rd of the 4 difficulty settings and was getting obliterated by the very first Draug encounter so stuck it back down one but now it’s far too easy. The difference in those two settings is bonkers. You go from being able to only take 2 hits to having at least 6 or 7 on your chin. It may be because a lot of my gear is still only level 5 and I have some upgrading to do?

Anyway, this and my NG+ on LoU2 will keep me busy until Ghost next week. Just reflect on those 3 titles, all exclusives among several other exclusives and it just confirms how strong that Sony stable really has been this generation. 

Looking forward to getting more of this played and striking a balance with the difficult increase once I upgrade a bit more. But being able to take only 2 hits in the first battle, where enemies really go wild on their unblockables makes me wonder what the holy fuck happens in that final difficulty, because right now it feels the only place they have to go is enemies being able to kill you by staring at you for more than 2 seconds :)

Max difficulty ... and he's using Level 1 weapons, to boot.

5 hours ago, smac said:

That vid was insane.

That bloke's nuts. He's done damageless speed runs of all the From games, including Sekiro :blink:

Thanks for posting it; shows how bad I was at this game.