IGNORED

God of War (2018) - Magni-ficent!

Ooh, a native Dualsense control option with it's own menu.

I'd love to play this, it looks incredible and I'd be able to whack it up at 4K and 60fps...but I absolutely rinsed it on my PS4 Pro, well, still got that bastard hard last Valkyrie to beat but combed every inch of the world and completed everything else. Too many games that need playing to go back to something I (almost) fully completed. Sigh.

24 minutes ago, amc said:

Ooh, a native Dualsense control option with it's own menu.

Oh this is interesting, I wonder if it's statement of intent going forward for more ports as that's pretty excellent for PC controller support which has always often be lacking.

I've not bought this mainly because I already finished it and found all the secrets already. I bought the port of Horizon but mainly because it was £10 and I had never played the DLC. For any one who has never played it though, it's £30 on CD Keys right now on PC and it's a properly excellent game

So did this get a 60fps increase on PS5 (well, I know it did, now, but only since about an hour ago). Might install it and give that Valkyrie another bash. Maybe 60fps somehow transforms me into less of a shitty player. Probably not.

Need to bone up on everything that got a boost, knew about GoS, TLoU2 and FF7 but seems like plenty more benefit. To Google.

3 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Rumour is Ghost of Tsushima next. Like yourself I'm gagging for Bloodborne though.

Really hope so. 

Basically not played on the PS4 for about two years as the kids and wife have the TV 90% of the time so missed out on Tsushima as all gaming is done on my laptop.

Anyway back on topic this is now downloaded and ready to go. Adored this on release and it’s been a fair few years since I played it so for my middle aged memory this is likely to be like a new game!

It does indeed look great on PS5.

The only slight negative I’ll give to the game’s visuals at this point is that lighting isn’t so accurate (so much is pre-baked), and the colour palette is a bit oversaturated (which tends to be a thing in a lot of games imo…).  Gen9 games are starting to highlight these Gen8 games’ graphic limitations a little now.

The PC version sorts this out to a degree with better shadows and ambient occlusion etc., but the base topics I mentioned remain.  Graphics overall are still head and shoulders above most games however, largely (and perhaps sadly) a function of the no doubt massive production budget that the game will have got.

This is a beautiful PC port. It’s fantastic in ultrawide which really enhances the cinematic presentation. I’m finding I can see intricate details on the characters/enemies/models better than the previous 4 playthroughs (lol)

could this be the year I finally complete this? it feels a bit easier on pc. wonder if it is because of NVIDIA reflex or just placebo effect.

do you know what NVIDIA reflex does on a controller? is that just a mouse thing? 

This looks and runs way better than I expected on my 970, lol!  Not quite 60 fps, but a promising start, that some tweaking will help. 

One minor annoyance though, I'm playing using a 360 controller, and it seems like it's way over sensitive, like, the range you need to push left stick to make Kratos walk is very very small. Changing look speed right down doesn't make much difference either. 

Will have to try and find some way to alter the input curve, I like being able to walk and lan the camera super slowly! 

(or just steal one of the kids' ps4 pads) 

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

What is Nvidia Reflex?

I would guess it's just from playing in 60fps if you hadn't been before.

I did play on 60fps on the PS5. but this feels more responsive than that somehow. my monitor is 144 so it is either that or NVIDIA reflex. the latter is meant to reduce input latency but I understood this was a mouse thing. maybe it isn't.

NVIDIA is making a big deal about implementing it for GoW so I am assuming they must think this is a good showcase for the tech. granted that has not stopped them before from advertising a feature with a graphic card or game that can barely run it or does not work at all. 

EDIT: some spoilers on that trailer. 

Spoiler

Just finished this on PS5.

I hated it the first 5 times I tried to play it.

I managed to get through it this time.

It's very underwhelming and I can't remember the last time a game was so overrated.

I don't like the camera angle with melee combat, I don't like the combat really at all.

It's got hardly any cool moments and the end climax was really disappointing.

IMO nothing really surpasses the knock at the door in the front end of the game.

That bit is excellent....the rest, nah.

The puzzles are so basic and numerous it felt like tomb raider for a good 30% of the time.

The rest of the time it was like I've run out of ammo in Gears of war.

The whole God Going Straight story line is a bit iffy too.

I'd probably give it a 6/10 because the art direction and technical side of things were somewhat flawless. It's a really technical achievement (for a PS4 era game)

I’m on my first play through on PS5 and really enjoying it. Yes there are tomb raider vibes etc. but it’s all nicely put together and very slick, with a ‘weighty’ feel to the gameplay. 

If I hadn’t started in Story mode I likely would have bounced off of the game straight away, it’s a bit easy at times but I don’t have time to die and retry repeatedly. 

4 hours ago, Oz said:

watching that prompt to press B instead of O is jarring every time. :D

Does it swap (or let you swap) button prompts if you're using a DualShock? All PC games need this.

Btw, I swapped the confirm and dodge buttons when I played this on PS4. X to confirm, O to dodge makes more sense for my Fromsoft-wired brain.

7 hours ago, Harrisown said:

it felt like tomb raider for a good 30% of the time

That’s good because Tomb Raider 2013, which Cory Barlog also worked on, was brilliant.

I think there’s a lot to be said for quality and polished UX, which both games have in spades