rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
iwan_canobi

Prop Making, 3D Modeling and Printing

That's so cool! I've been thinking about getting a 3D printer for my daughter. I'm much more into the human side of it and she's pretty good with computers and programming so I thought it would be beneficial. 

What model of printer did you get?

Mine is this one - 

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__84282__Malyan_M180_Dual_Head_3D_Printer_UK_Plug_UK_Warehouse_.html

It's went up in price a bit with the pound being crap. I got it because it was pretty much plug and play, there are so many you can get cheap now, but most of them require a lot of assembly and setting up. This one just worked out of the box. It also has dual extruders, so you can print different colours / materials at the same time. I'm just starting to experiment with that, this was the test print - 

tf5oU0M.jpg

I also got some flexible filament, it's kind of rubbery but really cool. Managed to fix a toilet seat by designing and printing my own well nut -

mz4QsYY.jpg

I'd really recommend getting one, there's so much you can do with them it's unreal! I haven't got to making any more props yet, but have a load in my to-do pile! Just found today someone has made a full 'vera' gun prop from Firefly for printing, so might give that a bash!

• Upvote 2

Not sure there's another thread about this sort of thing, but glad I found this. I ordered myself the Original Prusa i3 mk2 at the end of November and today got my dispatch note. It arrives Tuesday! :D

Can't tell you how excited I am to start making stuff.

In the wait time, I've made myself a small maker area/space, been buying tools I'll need, and watching soooo many vids on YouTube by channels like Tested, 3DPrintingNerd, Punished Props, etc. 

The wait has been excruciating, and I wish it arrived tomorrow so I had the weekend to build it; but still, it's real and it's making its way from Prague to me :D

Will be sure to post up the things I create (I'm an artist in the games industry so I have plenty of experience to create my own stuff rather than purely files from Thingiverse or similar. 

• Upvote 1

Built myself a vacuum former over the last couple of days. Still waiting for the bits to make a frame for heating the plastic in, but it draws air :)

Also, this arrived today :D

prusa_i3mk2.jpg

• Upvote 1

So I've had my 3d printer for just under 2 weeks but decided to start something big. 

Little back story: I work for Full Fat Games who made a game called Agent Dash several years before I started there. During my time we did a major update / engine change to the game, and a colleague and I were asked to make some high resolution sculpts of title character Agent Dash and his missus Joanna Goodtug (who I sculpted) for marketing purposes. 

These never got used, but I asked my boss if I could print the pair. 

These will get painted, but here's the current progress. All printed, several iterations of priming and sanding. 

I've also printed a base for the pair, and am halfway through making a second copy of the whole lot for the other artist. 

Base + characters stands about 28cm tall and I have to say I'm really proud so far. Hoping I can do them justice with the paint job. 

IMG_20170129_105509.jpg

• Upvote 9

Sorry, just saw these replies, thought this thread had died! Those characters look awesome! How are you finding the Prusa? Looks like a great piece of kit and all the reviews are excellent. 

Ive still been printing loads and did a few upgrades to my machine. Most prints though are RC related, but I've got a codsworth from fallout 4 waiting for sanding and painting, just need some time!

@iwan_canobi I've not had experience with other printers but the quality I'm getting has blown me away to be honest. I have friends who print and they've been equally impressed given the short time I've had it.

Made some progress with the painting; just need to clean bits up, varnish, then prepare the base :)

IMG_20170206_012910_838.jpg

• Upvote 3

Cheers guys.

3 hours ago, iwan_canobi said:

That's an awesome paint job! How did you achieve that look? Lots of layering?

Just kept switching the colours in my airbrush, then going over with several washes and dry brushing to grime it up. I also scratched the surface a bit in places to get some highlights from the plastic breaking up a bit.

Sadly I made the mistake of varnishing it afterwards and it's gone really dark.

Ah well, you live and learn.

Amongst other things I also got round to printing the baby Groot pot that's done the rounds recently, but haven't painted it yet.

IMG_20170214_001941.jpg

I've been cleaning up my Youtube channel in order to be able to post timelapses of prints and painting, more often. Currently there's nothing great on there, but I hope to improve it. I also designed and printed a camera mount tonight which needs a few tweaks but will allow me to fix the camera to the printers bed/carriage so the timelapses will look a lot better in future. Any likes/subs/shares appreciated, if only so I can eventually get a custom URL that matches my channel name - https://www.youtube.com/user/FozZph3uS

• Upvote 1

Finally got around to sorting the base and getting these 2 glued into place. The piece is by no means as polished as I wish it was, but it's been a great learning experience as my first big print and finish project. 

FB_IMG_1487665812057.thumb.jpg.eff31001b7aa5646038cd3cd1a018416.jpg

FB_IMG_1487665850629.thumb.jpg.dc7f9ccc21adc6a1529b0e1dc0330502.jpg

FB_IMG_1487665839140.thumb.jpg.dff077b1e188dd7d8326c683cbbabe2f.jpg

FB_IMG_1487665865919.thumb.jpg.6a27836b872e7e5094f73bb07033ce0b.jpg

FB_IMG_1487665905940.thumb.jpg.58e973b89df1ea337ba32031aa6f04fc.jpg

FB_IMG_1487665881225.thumb.jpg.29ed3cfe45db9902d1862990b4470738.jpg

• Upvote 2

Guess this is a decent place to post this?

I need to make an alien (as in the film alien) head type mask for a short film test. So that kind of long cylindrical shape. Does anyone have any good advice for a decent base? I was thinking of getting one of those cheap animal (horse?) masks on ebay, gluing big blocks of balsa around it and then carving it into the basic shape. There's probably a far better and easier way tho! Any ideas?