The Terror - AMC and Ridley Scott to produce version of Dan Simmons' novel

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-terror-tv-series/

Excerpt from the article:

he good news: AMC has greenlit a television series based on Dan Simmons‘ The Terror, an acclaimed historical horror novel that could make for thrilling TV. The weird news: it is reportedly an “anthology series” and I literally have no idea what that could possibly mean in this context. Seriously.

The news comes our way courtesy of Variety, who say that AMC has ordered ten episodes that will premiere in 2017. Ridley Scott and David W. Zucker of Scott Free will executive produce the series alongside Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert. David Kajganich (True Story) and Soo Hugh (The Killing) will act as showrunners, with Kajganich writing the series.

Simmons’ book is historical fiction, exploring what might have happened to Sir John Franklin and the crew of the HMS Terror when they vanished while exploring Northwest Passage between 1845 and 1848. But it is also a grisly horror story, as those not killed by natural causes are picked off one-by-one by some kind of creature. Here’s the official description for the novel:

The men on board HMS Terror have every expectation of finding the Northwest Passage. When the expedition’s leader, Sir John Franklin, meets a terrible death, Captain Francis Crozier takes command and leads his surviving crewmen on a last, desperate attempt to flee south across the ice. But as another winter approaches, as scurvy and starvation grow more terrible, and as the Terror on the ice stalks them southward, Crozier and his men begin to fear there is no escape. A haunting, gripping story based on actual historical events, The Terror is a novel that will chill you to your core.

I've not read the novel (although it's one I keep meaning to), so it's curious as to how this will be anthologised. The only way I can imagine it is that it works as some sorth of True Detective-type thing, with a different story each season tied by a common theme. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

• 1 year later...

AMC US on 26 March and AMC UK on 24 April. Jared Harris and Ciarán Hinds!

There's allegedly a teaser here, but it's blocked for me, apparently restricted to the UK

Found a copy, but if they're restricting the original, it may not stay.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Enjoyed some of the novel but gave up on it when there were one too many dips into the past. The creature became a side-plot when the balance should’ve been vice versa. Be interested to see if the tv series falls into a similar trap. 

The novel really goes on a one way trip to crazy town towards the end, have to imagine they’ll have altered that a bit.

Speaking of crazy town, it’s a shame Dan Simmons turned into a frothing right-wing crank.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone watching? I've watched the first two and it's very good. The cast are excellent and the two captains (Ciaran Hinds and Jared Harris) have a proper gravitas about to them. It looks great, the ships look exactly as I'd pictured them and it's all nicely grim.I don't know if this will be sufficient to fill an entire season but so far I'm digging it. 

5 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

Anyone watching? I've watched the first two and it's very good. The cast are excellent and the two captains (Ciaran Hinds and Jared Harris) have a proper gravitas about to them. It looks great, the ships look exactly as I'd pictured them and it's all nicely grim.I don't know if this will be sufficient to fill an entire season but so far I'm digging it. 

Yep, it’s great so far, and the actors are well chosen. Plus, up to episode 3 at least, it’s avoided bits that made it easy for me to put the book down. 

Thought the first 2 episodes were brilliant. Agree that the casting is spot on. 

If you liked the book then Simmon's more recent The Abominable, about an Everest expedition in the 20s, is worth a read. Similar to The Terror, he does a great job of conveying the brutal conditions and it's really well researched as well as being a gripping tale.

Finished this last night and thought it was a solid 7/10...

I haven't read the book so I assume...

Spoiler

The 'bear' creature (with human like features in the face) was some kind of Inuit spirit, summoned by the woman to take revenge on the crew for first killing her father(?) and then the group of Inuit killed by that creepy Hickey character.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

I was looking for ways to watch this without subscription - but they've put the first episode up on Youtube for the next 24 hours - woop! Shame they aren't doing the same with the rest of it so I'm secretly hoping it will be shit. More info on where to watch the season here: http://tv.bt.com/tv/amc-on-bt-tv/the-terror-watch-catch-up-amc-bt-tv-11364266149569 

It's not shit at all. 

Yep, its quite good based on that first episode. Slow paced but I like the setting and the cast. The visuals are great too. I had trouble understanding who was who and their roles as so many names get thrown at you and referenced. Is Jared Harris (grumpy one) one of the captains, or a first mate? Are there two captains or more? Who is the famous guy they reference in the theatre and why does everyone stand up, or is it the name of a ship?

Didn't find it tense or scary but hopefully that can improve as it goes on. Not that I'll know unless I yarr it thanks to the very limited viewing options!

There’s two captains, one for each ship. But Franklin (Hinds character) is senior in terms of the expedition. 

While there are are a lot of characters, it shouldn’t take long to get to grips with them. In my experience anyway. 

Watched the first two eps last night and it was really engrossing stuff. Is it oddly edited, though? Certain scenes started which didn't seem to follow on logically from the previous one. Eg in the first episode it showed ice breaking in front of one of the ships as it moved forward, then literally the next second it's night time and both ships are completely stuck in the ice. Similar things happened a couple more times which caused some confusion but I wasn't sure if it was deliberate or if I'm a victim of a prankster uploader*.

* I'm not changing my ISP just to watch something.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 18:28, wev said:

for those that have watched all of it

Reveal hidden contents

what did Collins see beneath the ship near the start?

I thought that was the body of the seaman that fell overboard and drowned earlier?