The Terror - AMC and Ridley Scott to produce version of Dan Simmons' novel

Loved the first half of this then felt it really dragged to get to the conclusion and overall was left with a bit of a 'meh' feeling towards it.

Like many things it was just too long. 

27 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Loved the first half of this then felt it really dragged to get to the conclusion and overall was left with a bit of a 'meh' feeling towards it.

Like many things it was just too long. 

This is just bonkers, the show got better and better every episode.

3 hours ago, ZOK said:

I thought this was fantastic from start to finish, and the last episode was great. Such a treat to see a show where the ending is decent and makes sense...I can really dig Crozier finding his peace there.

This. It's an underrated masterpiece.

Slightly off topic, but any suggestions for Jared Harris stuff to watch? I've only seen him in this and Chernobyl but he's bloody brilliant.

NB I am not watching The Expanse. Tried too many times and can't get past episode 2.

13 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Slightly off topic, but any suggestions for Jared Harris stuff to watch? I've only seen him in this and Chernobyl but he's bloody brilliant.

NB I am not watching The Expanse. Tried too many times and can't get past episode 2.

He's not in it all the way through but he was a standout in Mad Men.

2 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

They're the hardest eps to get through!  And he also has some great bits after that. Nevermind!

44 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

He was in an episode of Fringe I watched last night, for all of about 5 minutes.

He's in a few episodes but not sure how much he is actually in those episodes.  It's been ages since I watch Fringe!

15 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Only half way through, but as I've read the book I just feel like it's zooming through everything too quickly.

Interesting, what sort of stuff is in the book that's had to be cut out of the series?

8 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Interesting, what sort of stuff is in the book that's had to be cut out of the series?

I'm only half way through the series, so not sure about the rest, but just the general sort of thing from book adaptations.  There were quite a few more trips out from the ships by various scouting parties in the book, a lot more detail on exactly what was happening to the ships (in terms of damage, etc.) as the ice sets in, a few more incidents with the bear. 

One thing that seems a bit wrong in the TV adaptation is just how cold it is, and how much they have to wear.  The book goes into great detail about the number of layers of clothing they wear, and the great rigmarole of entering and leaving the ship, and nobody in the TV show seems to be wearing nearly as much clothing as they have to in the book, or is taking nearly as long to get dressed and undressed.  

All understandable tweaks for the screen, but feels like its zooming through the book events.

Even my mum is six episodes into this now, thanks to iPlayer. (She never usually watches anything.) Has it been broadcast at all over here before? I'm wondering if it's finally finding a much wider audience.

2 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

I'm only half way through the series, so not sure about the rest, but just the general sort of thing from book adaptations.  There were quite a few more trips out from the ships by various scouting parties in the book, a lot more detail on exactly what was happening to the ships (in terms of damage, etc.) as the ice sets in, a few more incidents with the bear. 

One thing that seems a bit wrong in the TV adaptation is just how cold it is, and how much they have to wear.  The book goes into great detail about the number of layers of clothing they wear, and the great rigmarole of entering and leaving the ship, and nobody in the TV show seems to be wearing nearly as much clothing as they have to in the book, or is taking nearly as long to get dressed and undressed.  

All understandable tweaks for the screen, but feels like its zooming through the book events.

I would have happily seen this run to twenty episodes rather than ten so they could go into the minutiae of Arctic clothing removal, but I do think that would have made it a tough sell.

21 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Even my mum is six episodes into this now, thanks to iPlayer. (She never usually watches anything.) Has it been broadcast at all over here before? I'm wondering if it's finally finding a much wider audience.

It was originally broadcast on AMC over here. As that channel is only available with BT TV (Or was at the time. I'm not sure about now) it probably didn't get many viewers. I YAAR'd it at the time. I recently finished my third viewing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this tonight and thought it was excellent, huge thanks for the recommendation as otherwise I would have missed it completely.  

Best thing I've seen in quite a while, maybe since Chernobyl. Can't believe how much it has flown under the radar, at least I don't remember people talking about it when it was first released! 

On 26/03/2021 at 13:19, Papaya Dance said:

Jared is in the first two episodes of The Crown playing George VI. He elevates everything he's in.

19 hours ago, ckny said:

Anyone watched season 2? We yarred the first two episodes and just couldn’t get in to it at all. Worth sticking with or not?

It has it's moments but it's a very different show. We watched it all each week at the time but I don't think we would watch it again. Whereas we've watched the first season three times.

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t think I’ve enjoyed something as much as this since Chernobyl.

I got a bit obsessed with the Franklin expedition; read Michael Palin’s Erebus, which was really good.

There’s a documentary on More 4 about finding the wreck, haven’t watched it yet.

I’m also listening to the audiobook; most of the way through now. The TV adaptation is definitely better, but I’ve enjoyed the different bits and the extra details.