rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gone fishin'

The ZX Spectrum Scene - What The Hell Is Going On??

It seems like a really strange time for spec-chums. First I read that the admin of World of Spectrum is giving up on the site due to the amount of threats he's receiving. Then I see on Facebook that the admin of YS Rock n Roll Years is giving up due to "violent and graphic death threats." Watching George Bum's videos and I get it that they're quite divisive, but again he says that he often gets threats. 

I mean, what the fuck... I mean hell.. Is going on???

I get it that WoS is looking really tired now and since the original admin left its gone a bit downhill (database still doesn't work properly, the hooks to the database are broken so that cool app that played spectrum tapes through your phone stopped working) but death threats??? 

It's a shame as there's some great things happening (well, hopefully the Spec Next will happen, although no recent updates is worrying)..

Here's one of George Bum/Funky Spectrum's videos.. I think they're quite funny!

https://youtu.be/hrFAeDIWyrM

• Upvote 3

I keep seeing the YSRNR guy tweeting about WOS and such, didn't know it had got to that kind of level.

Regarding the Spectrum next, hopefully the guys will be at Revival Soltice at the end of the month. Retro Asylum will be hosting talks with them and other guests on stage.

As for WOS, it's certainly true that it's lost its mojo since Martin stepped down.

Preaching to the converted, but it just seems on the internet generally slinging death threats at people you don't agree with is the norm and it really gets me down. It comes to something when some entitled arsehole thinks it's a good idea to threaten someone because the website they claim to love isn't being maintained the way they would like it. Simply pathetic.

• Upvote 4

Had been wondering for a while what had gone wrong with WOS. I just thought it was strange that one of the biggest retro gaming sites for one of the best loved systems had fallen into such a sorry state.cant say it had crossed my mind to threaten anyone over it though.

Nick who runs the YS site and the chap who runs the WOS site are both very passionate members of the Speccy scene.

The issue seems to have started when Nick enquired as to the progress of development on the new WOS site and the chap now running it wasn't really able to show much for X number of years work.

What's not helped is that since then Nick has continually requested updates and the other chap has nothing to provide.

I believe this has escalated into legal proceedings. I'm not sure where the death threats mentioned on here and Twitter have come from. Not nice to hear.

Really, Nick needs to stop stirring, and the chap running the current WOS site needs to pass the task over to someone who can produce visible results in a decent timescale.

I'm sure there are plenty of people with the ability who would volunteer to help out with WOS. There's no need for any of the rancour.

It's slightly more complicated than has been summarised here.

Lee is now preparing to pass the WOS site onto new management.

What I can't understand is how such a simple piece of hardware (not a diss, BTW) has so many poorly implemented hardware updates. Take the recreated spectrum dead-flesh keyboard, put a relatively small FPGA and some SDRAM in there and wallop! job done.

The MIST Fpga hardware is way overspec'd (no pun intended) but has an amazing Speccy implementation (with some tinkering inside the case) you can even load tapes from a tape deck.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=30124

Missing the keyboard and has loads more RAM than is required (was built for Amiga and ST fpga implementations) but it could be done with lesser components for loads less money and it's all open source.

Can't understand how all these other jokers have made a such a mess of such a simple architecture device.

• Upvote 2

I'm not familiar with the speccy scene, but I dip into the WoS archive and forums fairly often.  I guess I don't read that broadly on them, cos I had no idea there was any strife.

I've just been put onto George Bum by reading this thread.  I'm not sure I'm proud of it, but I've found his videos to be massively entertaining.  I've no idea how seriously to take some of the stuff he says, though.

Is there a topic on one of the forums that'd outline the whole situation and how GB fits into it?  I'm intrigued...