IGNORED

Bands incorrectly dismissed as 'one hit wonders'

Naysonymous

I was singing the praises of Underworld at work recently.  Someone in the room thought they were one hit wonders: 

I mean obviously they won't ever recapture the total crossover success of Born Slippy but I was still taken back that someone would consider them to be a one hit wonder when they've got a back catalogue full of critically acclaimed work and they've toured the world for decades but apparently it's a thing.  While I'm sure it's possible to debate what counts as a hit and what doesn't I have to believe that it's possible that there are loads of really successful artists out there who get the one hit wonder tag even if they don't deserve it at all.  Thought it might make for an interesting thread for those who want to defend the honour of a band or artist they love.  

People still seem surprised when I tell them that Mr. Oizo (of Levi's ad fame) has done stuff since "Flat Beat". The Church came out in 2014, HitF in 2015 and he has another release on the way in autumn. Maybe they didn't share the same success of FB, but to think he's disappeared entirely is inaccurate.

Any artist ever that has an anomalous hit song, then goes back to being loved by fans of their genre without bothering the pop charts.

eg, A Tribe Called Quest.  Loved by the general public for Can I Kick It, then forgotten about.  Lauded by hip hop fans as one of the greatest.

Bowie was a one-hit wonder too for a while. Space Oddity became in danger of being his nemesis, he was paranoid about being labelled a one hit wonder. Both "The Man Who Sold the World" and "Hunky Dory" phases passed without a single hit, until Ziggy Stardust changed all that.

Blind Melon - billed as one hit wonders, due to the No Rain video receiving heavy MTV rotation. They actually released two great (albeit one underappreciated at the time) albums, full of fantastic songs showcasing the enormous talent of Shannon Hoon (RIP).

Babybird

I know that most people class them as a Brit-pop era flash in the pan with just You're Gorgeous to their name but Stephen Jones was banging out some serious stone cold classics as Babybird for years before and after that track.

He's still at it, releasing tracks on bandcamp under a few guides. http://thestephenjones.bandcamp.com/music

Most of his stuff is quite soundtracky/instrumental these days, rather than the dark & twisted pop songs he was known for.

I've got to post this track here, one of my favourite songs by any artist, fantastic video too:

14 hours ago, Camel said:

Any artist ever that has an anomalous hit song, then goes back to being loved by fans of their genre without bothering the pop charts.

eg, A Tribe Called Quest.  Loved by the general public for Can I Kick It, then forgotten about.  Lauded by hip hop fans as one of the greatest.

In what universe would anyone assume ATCQ were one hit wonders? Everyone's gran and his dog can probably name every track off People's Instinctive Travels without breaking a sweat, let alone people who actually know hip hop.

There are people living in undiscovered rain forest villages who could tell you when Bonita Applebum came out. And they probably own Award Tour on coloured vinyl!

I feel like that applies more to The Beastie Boys really. Not doubting dino_jr's experience with his/her friends but to me it felt like they were everywhere through all of the 90s. MTV absolutely hammered most of their videos (particularly Sabotage) and the press constantly fawned over them. And not just the music press either, style magazines fucking loved them too.

Not that I was complaining, I ate up all I could get.

On 14 July 2016 at 13:43, larrydavidsanger said:

Most people think Sparks were just This Town Ain't Big Enough but they've been pretty consistent throughout

SPARKS?!?!

Fucking hell. Beat the Clock, which you've not even mentioned, was in the top ten, and in the charts for six weeks! Who the hell are these 'most people'?

This is officially the worst thread in the Music folder.

It's true though, most people would probably only be able to name This Town by Sparks. I know they've had other hits, but they've been overshadowed by a single behemoth of a track.

Same applies to pretty much all those bands listed above, I think that's the point of the thread.

Another example: Lots of people only know Tori Amos for someone else's remix of Professional Widow, which was as far removed from the original track as it could have been. She's still great though and had loads of hits & albums.

On 13 July 2016 at 23:11, Rsdio said:

I feel like that applies more to The Beastie Boys really. Not doubting dino_jr's experience with his/her friends but to me it felt like they were everywhere through all of the 90s. MTV absolutely hammered most of their videos (particularly Sabotage) and the press constantly fawned over them. And not just the music press either, style magazines fucking loved them too.

I'm thinking that 'No Sleep Til Brooklyn' might just have been big enough in the public consciousness to have managed to have escaped the 'one hit' curse.

That said, I think it wasn't until 'Sabotage' that they became 'known' again - and that was 8 years later.

On 13/07/2016 at 21:00, cubik said:

Babybird

I know that most people class them as a Brit-pop era flash in the pan with just You're Gorgeous to their name but Stephen Jones was banging out some serious stone cold classics as Babybird for years before and after that track.

He's still at it, releasing tracks on bandcamp under a few guides. http://thestephenjones.bandcamp.com/music

Most of his stuff is quite soundtracky/instrumental these days, rather than the dark & twisted pop songs he was known for.

I've got to post this track here, one of my favourite songs by any artist, fantastic video too:

I got hooked when I heard this aged 14:

Hadn't seen the Unloveable video before, great.

Still have a big soft spot for You're Gorgeous, but he's definitely had some great songs, Bad Old Man was always a favourite of mine.

Looks like Spotify have some Babybird listed under Baby Bird if anyone is looking for Unloveable or more recent Babybird releases.

For me Fountains of Wayne, largely known for Stacy's Mom had a lot more about them than just that song.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19 July 2016 at 13:28, Venice Cull said:

I'm thinking that 'No Sleep Til Brooklyn' might just have been big enough in the public consciousness to have managed to have escaped the 'one hit' curse.

That said, I think it wasn't until 'Sabotage' that they became 'known' again - and that was 8 years later.

I wasn't old enough at the time, but "No Sleep 'Til Brooklyn" was popular enough (amongst others) to be featured in a parody track title from Tony Hawks back in the day.