Vemsie

The contenders:

Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell)

James Earl Cash (Manhunt)

Garret the thief (Thief)

Code 47 (Hitman)

Rikimaru, Tesshu, Ayame (Tenchu).

I've not nearly played enough games cause out of these I've only played bits of Hitman (the PC version) which I didn't like that much because of it's clumsy controls and hit and miss AI and Thief which I loved. One of the most tense games I've ever played.

What's you favorite stealth game and why?

Thief 2, for it's amazing atmosphere, tension, light engine, sound propogation and most importantly, the middle ages/industrial religion settings. Slugging a guard on the back of the noggin with the blackjack after stalking him through the shadows, before picking up his prone body and dumping it in a nice dark place. Water arrows! The ace police station level. And the haunts :P and their rattling chains *shudder*

If they fuck up Thief 3, I'm going to kill........McNeillR

Hey what about...

link from Ocarina of time/ wind waker?!!!

Indyana Jones from the arcade style Fate of atlantis (the serchlights)

The bloke from Another world... sneking was normally more helthy

Mario tip toeing past the Parana Plants in 64 (needed nerves of STELL!!!)

.... but seriesly... hmmm

Garret the thief (Thief)

THIEF

all the other games you mentioned nick it's idea's.

THIEF 3 IS COMING!!!!

Except the original Metal Gear games came out yonks before theif, thus solid snake wins.

Yes, the early Metal Gear games' use of light and locational sound was spectacular :rolleyes:

I'm the Queen of Stealth. :rolleyes:

Isn't Snake the only one who can potentially not be seen the whole game?

There are people who have successfully "ghosted" every level on the Thief games - that is - completed each level without being seen or otherwise detected once.

I'm the Queen of Stealth. :)

Isn't Snake the only one who can potentially not be seen the whole game?

Surely not? He has to fight 10 bosses! Plus in the lift after taking out Liquid Snake in the Hind D ("that takes care of the cremation" :rolleyes:) he is ambushed by stealth camoed guards.

I still pick Snake as the best. Though thinking about it, my most enjoyable stealth gaming experiences have been in the first two Oddworld games.

He's the only character with any kind of depth, too.

"I don't want that kind of world!"

"Then why did you come here? Why do you continue to follow your orders while your superiors betray you?"

*pause*

"I'll tell you then... you enjoy all the killing, that's why!"

"What... no..."

"I saw your face when you did it! It was filled with the joy of battle!"

"But... that was..."

"There's no use in denying it, we were created to be that way..."

"...created?"

Snake has depth? He's as deep as a puddle.

MGS had crippled stealth sections (top down 3rd person, yeuch) strung together in a linear fashion, punctuated with mini-games, set-pieces and cut-scenes.

Thief wins every time. It's first person. It's non-linear. It's pure stealth. If you're spotted, you _can't_ fight (playing on hard). It's fantastic.

I just heard that Thief 3 has a 3rd person mode. God, hope they don't mess it up. Fingers still crossed.

--Sam

Play MGS on hard, and you can fight out. If you're good enough. If Thief is anything like System Shock, fighting isn't an option simply because the controls aren't made for it. :rolleyes:

Snake really is a deep character. MGS questions Snake's (and the player's) responsibility as someone "just following orders" or "trying to survive". It's the only game I've played that makes you feel like a bastard for succeeding.

Play MGS on hard, and you can fight out. If you're good enough. If Thief is anything like System Shock, fighting isn't an option simply because the controls aren't made for it. :)

Snake really is a deep character. MGS questions Snake's (and the player's) responsibility as someone "just following orders" or "trying to survive". It's the only game I've played that makes you feel like a bastard for succeeding.

Hang on - "if"?

Plaaay iiiit! :rolleyes: