Gaming Movies

DJ Sack

Would you be interested?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You'll need to read this post before you can answer the poll, sorry.

Ive been thinking, some of us really enjoy the stories to games, even after you've played them you'd like to experience some of the cut scenes again just so you can experience some of the wonderful emotions that come flooding from them.

I have a lot of spare time at the moment and im very interested in doing this but more so if other people are interested.

What i propose is that i will play through some games, EG MGS, shenmue, skies of arcadia etc. anything thats cut scene heavy and film the cut scenes in sequence plus any small important gaming bits and edit them into a sort of movie. It'll be mostly cut scenes as watching someone play a game is extreamly dull, although i'll include small bits to make the story link together that little bit better. Id be looking to offer them in parts which i'll host and also sell on dvd's for a couple of quid.

So who'd be interested? Or is it a crap idea?

Here I reveal my saddest truths.

Somewhere I have a 4-hour video of all the cutscenes from MGS.

I also used to have videos of the cutscenes from Final Fantasy VII and VIII, but I mislaid them.

Fortunately I recently came across a utility to rip FMVs from Playstation games.

I ripped all the FMVs from Final Fantasy VII and VIII into AVI format.

Then I burned them to VCD.

*Insert world's biggest blushing smiley*

MGS would be my first one as its short and is actiony, although im thinking of waiting for twin snakes due to the better graphics, some codec scenes would be kept, maybe over the top of in game action and they would only be relevant ones.

Fortunately I recently came across a utility to rip FMVs from Playstation games.

I ripped all the FMVs from Final Fantasy VII and VIII into AVI format.

How do i rip the movies out of PSX games?

Final Fantasy 8 being my main priority.

You'll be wanting the PSX Multi Converter (PSXMC). You scan a PS disk for movies, and you can watch them straight through the converter, or convert and save them to AVIs.

The only problem is, quite a few PS FMVs are played in tandem with streamed audio, so things like the ending of FFVIII will have the 'wrong' audio playing, because the stream isn't part of it.

http://www.zophar.net/utilities/psxutil.html

Go for it -- there's plenty of games I would have done this for if I'd had the patience and technology at the time.

Perhaps the next step after ripping all the footage is for someone to edit it into something watchable. In many cases there will be a need to include some gameplay footage to explain what is going on between cutscenes. Getting someone to 'perform' the gameplay in an entertaining fashion is a challenge in itself.

With some PC (FPS) games it's made easier because you can record demos and edit them / place cameras etc. afterwards.

For some console games it might need a bit more ingenuity, or at least lots of replaying the same bits. I wonder if you could rig up two controllers to the same port so a second person could act as the 'cameraman' (controlling the camera-stick)?

Also, seeing as many games use the bulk of their cutscenes/voiceovers to give the player instructions of what to do next, these could be intercut/dubbed over the associated gameplay.