EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

93419999.jpg

That logo big enough for you?

So we've now fully Americanised; please refer to the sport as Soccer from now on.

Opening fixtures;

05/08 19:45

Fulham v Newcastle United

06/08 15:00

Birmingham City v Cardiff City

Blackburn Rovers v Norwich City

Bristol City v Wigan Athletic

Derby County v Brighton

Huddersfield Town v Brentford

Ipswich Town v Barnsley

Nottingham Forest v Burton Albion

Reading v Preston North End

Rotherham United v Wolverhampton

07/08 12:00

Queens Park Rangers v Leeds United

07/08 16:30

Sheffield Wednesday v Aston Villa

Welcome to Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, Barnsley, Wigan and Burton!

My predictions:

Top 2: Newcastle, Sheffield Wednesday

Playoffs: Derby, Norwich, Wigan, Brighton

Relegated: Barnsley, Preston, Blackburn

I'll do a bit of a preview for Derby if we actually sign anyone.

I predict a long season of mediocrity for Ipswich - I stopped posting in the thread last season as all my posts would have just said "It was dull" and everyone else was so excited and positive about promotions and play offs and what not.

Still got my season ticket and tickets for Brentford away though, because I'm an idiot. 

Fuck it, I've changed my mind - WE'RE GOING UP! 

Hello from the Villa contingent. We've not been here since 1987 so it's going to be something of a shock to the system to be in a division where we will probably spend nine months being somewhat underwhelming as opposed to being utterly utterly shit. 

On 22 July 2016 at 12:04, SuperMBo said:

I predict a long season of mediocrity for Ipswich - I stopped posting in the thread last season as all my posts would have just said "It was dull" and everyone else was so excited and positive about promotions and play offs and what not.

Still got my season ticket and tickets for Brentford away though, because I'm an idiot. 

Fuck it, I've changed my mind - WE'RE GOING UP! 

Random jumble of thoughts/predictions: Two summer signings for actual real money is a bit of a novelty. Have no idea what to expect from either of them, but from what I hear Webster is going to be first choice CB with Smith and Berra fighting for the other spot. Also, we may actually see Teddy on the pitch this season, which will be nice. Dozell to be a regular starter by the end of the season. Annual McGoldrick injury prediction: out from November to March. Great to have the derby days back - always one of the highlights of the season. Home kit makes me want to vomit. Do we know who our first choice keeper is yet? Murphy to continue in more familiar <10 goals per season mode. Attractive football an increasingly distant memory. Just enough in terms of results at various points in the season to suggest playoffs may be a possibility before reality kicks in. 

Would obviously be absolutely delighted with sneaking into the playoffs, but I suspect that an unexciting season of unexciting football will end, unexcitingly, in something like a 10th place finish. 

Only Blackburn and Rotherham fans are less optimistic than Ipswich fans, according to the EFL fan survey.

Still, there are some decent young players in the squad and the two arriving this week (Grant Ward and Conor Grant) look decent.

Wednesday: Dunno. I don't think we're in a position to look at automatic promotion spots, but equally I'm not that sure what we need to improve. Maybe a central defender, maybe a defensive midfielder who is a bit calmer. But really, things are looking good. Contracts have been given to the right players, new signings (notably Fletcher and Abdi) both seem ideal...Yeah, it's all pretty good.

As long as we don't massively under-perform, I'm happy.

Huddersfield - no idea really. I'm just glad we're finally trying something different, thinking outside the box has been long overdue in a division where we can't really compete financially and it's resulted in a massive change in feeling around the place. Crap football and a stream of uninspiring managers had ground everyone down a bit but a new outlook and generously discounted season tickets have lead to a general air of positivity and togetherness for the first time in years. Of course, all it'll take is a rough start and everyone will be moaning again but that's football I guess.

The chairman has trusted the manager with a bit of the cash we've brought in from sales in the past couple of seasons so there's been a lot of new faces added to the threadbare squad overly reliant on loans from last time, most are from Europe (particularly Germany as you might expect), a couple from the lower leagues and a couple of Premiership loans but none with any experience of the Championship so predicting anything is difficult. Sky bizarrely had us 9th favourites to win the division which suggests the bookies don't really know what to make of us either. Pretty much anything could happen but I'll be happy with some good football and staying reasonably clear of trouble.

Wolves: 12th to 6th

Big transition year for us, and the Championship is so competitive I just don't see us going up.

Hope Dicko and Graham come back from their cruciate ligament injuries without issue as they will be important players for us.

This all might change if we manage to pull of the signing of Talisca from Benfica.

Point for Cardiff at Brum and sounds like we are still lacking in front of goal like last year.

Sole nonsense though as new signing, Jazz a Richards apparently refused to do the ayatollah (head slapping thing we do) on numerous occasions and got booed and showered with Jack Bastard chants as he used to play for Swansea.

Not clear if he deliberately refused, which is a bit daft of him as it's not the same as refusing to celebrate against our West Walian friends.

But sounds like the fans acted like complete twats and there is the inevitable outrage on social media/message boards that he should never play for us again.

Knowing our fans - he is fucked now as even if he apologies, slaps his head every game twenty time - he'll still get grief unless he plays out of his skin very week.

Promising signs at Portman Road today - first half was pretty much exactly the same as last season and we were lucky to be nil-nil (Bialkowski pulled off yet another outstanding save - their guy was pretty much already celebrating and couldn't quite seem to be able to work out why it was a corner). 

Then - enter the new guys. Grant Ward scored with his first touch and would go on to score a hat trick. Conor Grant looks like he could be very good - I wouldn't be surprised if there's some agreement with Everton where he has to play a certain amount of games as, presuming he lives up to the hype, he's too good for the likes of us. I didn't see much mention of it in the reports, but the corner he took that basically lead to Ward's third was brilliant - it eluded their keeper and defence and caught Murphy completely off-guard (he's used to our corners hitting the first defender) and he should have scored before it then fell to Ward. With the game a bit more stretched, McGoldrick and Murphy looked a lot more threatening. Of course we also gave away two terrible goals but that's just what we do - feel a lot more confident after the second half that we'll score at least one more than a lot of teams in the league. I also liked the look of Webster at the back - again, we're prone to falling asleep and letting in goals from nothing but he can trap and pass a ball, which is an exciting development. 

In Mick we trust! 

The good thing this season is that if you're a Wednesday or Ipswich fan you can just pick whichever is doing better and pretend they're your team since for some reason Wednesday have decided to play in an Ipswich shirt this year.

I have no idea why. 

Blimey you aren't kidding - how do you mess up stripes?

Town fans have been in uproar (to a given value of uproar depending on how much attention you pay to fan websites) over the fact we're wearing blue shorts instead of white - how did they get that shirt past the Wednesday fans?  

I like a weird shirt every once in a while, Villa have a stripy one once a decade or so and we are overdue another but as long as the club revert to tradition after then I'm cool with it.  Now we are in an era where clubs change their shirt every single season then a radical departure from time to time seems less insulting than "oh, we've just changed the collar a bit this year."

As for Villa on the pitch, same old same old unfortunately.  Looked OK in patches, the forwards showed potential but they've clearly not played together before or even had much time on the training field together considering how late in the day we signed McCormack but hopefully they will develop an understanding as time goes by.  We looked flat footed in midfield, especially at the base of our midfield but hopefully Aaron Tshibola can add some much needed physical presence there, he looked decent in his late cameo.  We shot ourselves in the foot again though, yet another goal conceded from an individual error. It's heartbreaking to see it happen with such regularity, we've basically got new everything this year so maybe tying the mistakes to the guys who stunk the place out last year isn't fair as it's an unhappy coincidence but fuck, its hard work seeing the same shit again and again and again.  

Naughty Forestieri.

I'd still have him at Derby (don't really care how nice our players are, only how good they are) if it comes to pass but refusing to play is downright unprofessional.

Player power continues to get more and more out of hand.