EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

Basically Derby and/or Newcastle have tapped him offering big wages. He'd have been happy to stay for sure if it hadn't happened.

Pretty outrageous that someone you're paying huge wages to can just refuse to step out and there's not much you can do about it. Any other profession outside of sport would be instant dismissal.

He's a proper little shit, I'm pretty easy going where football is concerned but he really boils my piss. One of his first games in England was against us and I've never seen someone dive so blatantly and so often, after the match Zola was asked about it and was like "Oh I dunno, maybe there's something wrong with his boots" :lol:. Weird that he hasn't thought to change them in the last four years. Very good player aside from that though.

In other news it didn't take long for the old 'We made them look like Barcelona' and 'We should be beating the likes of Huddersfield' comments to get an airing.

Brentford away yesterday for Ipswich.

The good

Nice pubs - we ended up in the Griffin; nice beers, bottle bar and burgers for sale in the garden, mixed fans, good atmosphere

Good security / staff - small things but they were all joking, high fiving kids going in etc. 

The first half - I thought we were pretty good, the better team and it was just a pity we didn't put one of our chances away 

The bad

The leg room - I bought seats rather than standing as I'm an old man. It was one of those rare occasions where people did actually sit down. Which was a pity as the away end seating section was seemingly designed for nobody above about five foot eight. I'm not exactly a giant (six foot one) but it was painful. 

The second half - man we were shit. Not only shit but just seemed to mentally disintegrate in a way that is completely at odds with McCarthy's team up until now. Gave away a needless corner, didn't bother marking and then, post the goal, just collapsed. Really, really bad - just couldn't see us scoring and making a game of it. 

Wolves mid-week away before Norwich at home next weekend ...

Still, the Olympics are going well. 

14 hours ago, Baring said:

Really surprised he did it. He's a proper fans favourite. 

He's a great striker, so many teams would snap him up.

He must feel Wednesday don't have a chance or they pay him pennies? 

As far as I'm concerned he's a Championship player and he's not good enough to be in the Premiership. If he was, he'd be at Watford now as it's not like they had a massive clearout.

He is very good at this level, but clearly he's got an attitude problem and if we're looking to move upwards I don't think losing him is that bad. If there is a £12m offer floating around, get £13.5m and go shopping. Sell him to Newcastle though, they need strengthening if they're going to avoid relegation. Lol.

We were bloody awful against QPR today - terrible game with both teams cancelling each other out, but no flair or pace or excitement evident at all. Rangers had two shots on target all game as acored them both (headed goal from free kick and a penalty) and we had one (crap) shot in the 93rd minute which barely counted as a shot.

That's 300 minutes of football so far for Cardiff (2 league and a cup game that went to extra time) and 0 goals. But we haven't got any decent strikers. Long season ahead I think.

Guys... Fulham are 4th with a +2 Goal Difference. 

I'd be more than happy with a top half of the table finish given the disastrous last few years but hopefully this streak of being COMPLETELY UNABLE TO LOSE will continue all year and we'll win it with record points. 

Probably. 

23 hours ago, Rev said:

As far as I'm concerned he's a Championship player and he's not good enough to be in the Premiership. If he was, he'd be at Watford now as it's not like they had a massive clearout.

He is very good at this level, but clearly he's got an attitude problem and if we're looking to move upwards I don't think losing him is that bad. If there is a £12m offer floating around, get £13.5m and go shopping. Sell him to Newcastle though, they need strengthening if they're going to avoid relegation. Lol.

He's wimped out and apologised.

(I'd still sell him.)

Rumour is that he threw a paddy when he found out Fletcher was on twice what he is, and others got pay rises.

Wednesday should tell him he can have a rise if he grovels and tells the world how much he loves them and has no plans to leave, before completely going back on it.

9 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Wolves v Ipswich programme cover for tomorrow night:

:)

Am I reading too much in to that to think that the tractor is perched on the edge of a precipice, about to topple over and fall in? 

I'll take a draw.

2 hours ago, merman said:

Well, I'm quite happy with a point from the first East Anglian derby...

...but I am absolutely livid over the disallowed goal. Replays show Douglas was onside. Second time in a week we've had a good goal chalked off.

Yeah thought we played well - would have taken a point before hand but ultimately think we were unlucky not to get all three. The second incorrectly disallowed goal in a week is pretty galling; the quality of officiating in the Championship is just terrible. I think Mick got the tactics spot on today - similar to the play-off semis the season before last, we countered their higher skill and footballing ability by forcing the tempo and chasing everything down. I hope that we don't think "Well it worked against Norwich so it will work wonders against they shitter teams" and play the more creative people like Bishop and Grant from the start against Preston. 

We had about 24,000 there today I think - even allowing for the game being on TV that's poor for what is probably going to be the biggest home game of the year. Very good atmosphere though, although I've got a bruise of my shin from where I got pulled into the pseudo-hoolies' celebrations when we equalised (Championship problems!). 

On 17/08/2016 at 21:52, Timmo said:

Shane Duffy managed to score two own goals and then get himself sent off tonight. He also scored an own goal in his last match. Nice one m8

Just gone to Brighton for £4.5m. Not a bad price for a goalscorer in today's market.

Selling it seems - Murphy to Newcastle is the hot rumour. In two minds really - if they offer silly money for a 33 year old then I feel that, given the financial situation of the club, we should take it. But I know we won't spend whatever money we get on players - it will just disappear (with a loanee as part of the deal or something), so we'll lose our best striker, directly to a club that (in theory) we're competing with for promotion (it's the opposite of Marcus Stewart joining us from Huddersfield). 

On the plus side, it will clear a path for Brett Pittman to claim his rightful spot as the best player in the division. 

34 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

we'll lose our best striker, directly to a club that (in theory) we're competing with for promotion (it's the opposite of Marcus Stewart joining us from Huddersfield).

WE DON'T MENTION THAT