EFL Championship 2016/17

Timmo

2 hours ago, BitterToad said:

That Villa/Wolves game was absolutely unbelievable. As much as I agree that The Championship is actually a lot more entertaining than the premier league in terms of the anyone can win it/be relegated factor, the standard of refereeing has to improve. Wolves were, as the good dr says, absolutely robbed. 

Appreciate that, always good to know you're not being too biased :)

Not a bad week for Fulham though, four points from Norwich and Barnsley is pretty good!  Four more than we got at least!

Another loss for us last night, that's one point from the last twelve.  It's not really good enough, we concede so many early goals.

I'll be going to my first game this season on Saturday, home to Leeds.

A loss there and I think Zenga's days are numbered.

That was certainly our worst league performance of the season on Sunday (I didn't have good feeling since we tend to not turn up when we're on Sky or playing Wednesday at home, plus that cheaty little cunt always scores against us*) but you still have to give Wednesday credit for showing how you grind out an away win against a good side. Game plan executed to perfection.

*A shame his goal wasn't the one he pulled out of the sky as his first touch there was properly world class.

26 minutes ago, Nayson said:

Woo! Villa win away for the first time since the opening day of the 2015/16 season!  We are up to a whopping 4 wins from our last 50 games.  Playoffs here we come! 

The ref must have had a blinder! ;)

Only messing!  Congratulations on your win, tough place to win at this season too.

Glad to see that game being followed up on though:

Jack Grealish Suspension

That's the second time that's happened to us this season, a Burton player got a retrospective three game ban after an elbow at Molineux so at least things are getting looked at.

Absolutely, he has so much talent and I've been worried he might waste it, could happen so easily.

I actually think Bruce making excuses for him doesn't help him.  He needs to know what he did, and actions like that, and going out on the piss all the time is damaging to his career.

He really should be one of the best players in the Championship.

On 19 October 2016 at 11:03, Rev said:

I would very much like to beat Cardiff. I don't like Cardiff, and this seems like the best chance in a long-time.

Winning at Huddersfield is pretty much the perfect preparation for it too.

You were unlucky not to win last night - three weeks ago I dread to think what the score would have been.

But a couple of good free agents and Warnock in charge means we battled very well against one of the best sides I've seen play against us for a good couple of seasons. Your passing and movement was exceptional.

I didn't see any of it, but that matches what I heard from people. We're generally useless against you, so it's no surprise we didn't get a win.

As early as it is there's a reasonable shout to say the top of the table could finish as it is now. It does feel like the automatic promotion spots have been all-but secured, they're the teams you'd pick from the start and they seem to be ticking along. Play-offs will be down to the end of the season, but if Huddersfield and Birmingham don't drop off then I think there's a reasonable shout to say the table could finish as it is now. I'd be delighted with that for Wednesday, mind, as we've really had a wobbly start.

1Newcastle

2Norwich

3Brighton

4Huddersfield

5Birmingham

6Sheff Wed

On 10/25/2016 at 07:54, dr_manhattan^ said:

will do!

we seem to do best against people and insects this season. 

Other mammals and birds seem to beat us. 

Probably because dogs can't look up. 

Just checked, 10th December. Just over a month to wait and see how the wolves design team cope with pitting a wolf against "The Cottagers". 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Just checked, 10th December. Just over a month to wait and see how the wolves design team cope with pitting a wolf against "The Cottagers". 

London's Original?

Spoiler

1342198801000.jpg

I realise that's completely the wrong end of London.  A wolf trying to blow a cottage down would be by far the best choice.  Just hope it's a cottage made of straw not brick! :)

9 hours ago, BitterToad said:

Haha, I'd had exactly the same thought. Whatever it is I bet some of the unused early sketches are funny. 

Possible breaking point for McCarthy and Ipswich today - we've been turgid for a long time but I think he's finally lost the fans today. On about 82 minutes, 1-2 down at home to bottom of the table Rotherham, a rousing chorus of "Your football is shit, your football is shiiiiit, Mick McCarthy, your football is shit" went on for about five minutes.

A great shot from McGoldrick saved a point with literally the last kick of the game. As Villa were total dicks and selfish and didn't take McCarthy off us then our entire season rests on Wolves doing the right thing and taking McCarthy back.  

7 hours ago, SuperMBo said:

Possible breaking point for McCarthy and Ipswich today - we've been turgid for a long time but I think he's finally lost the fans today. On about 82 minutes, 1-2 down at home to bottom of the table Rotherham, a rousing chorus of "Your football is shit, your football is shiiiiit, Mick McCarthy, your football is shit" went on for about five minutes.

A great shot from McGoldrick saved a point with literally the last kick of the game. As Villa were total dicks and selfish and didn't take McCarthy off us then our entire season rests on Wolves doing the right thing and taking McCarthy back.  

do you really think the problem is mccarthy?

I think the problems are more deep-seated than that.

4 hours ago, Tourist said:

do you really think the problem is mccarthy?

I think the problems are more deep-seated than that.

There are wider issues in terms of Evans not wanting to invest and the whole club just effectively ticking over and 'existing' rather than pushing for promotion or what have you. But McCarthy is effectively now a part of that problem - he's not playing people like Dozzell at all, Emanuel and Kenlock only come in when his favourites are injured, and then are immediately pushed out for the likes of Chambers when he's fit again. McCarthy will always play Chambers, Berra, Skuze and Douglas it seems if they are fit, and they're either out of form or not good enough. McCarthy has said that he has to pick Chambers when he's fit as he's the captain, but beyond him not being a Championship level right back, he's not a leader either - Brentford away he just disappeared, yesterday he just shouted and gestured - did nothing to raise the game or support people (and had one of his customary cock ups that needed Webster to save him from). 

My main issue with him is that we're just tactically barren - we play the same against everyone (hold for nil-nil, try and nick a goal), and if something goes awry we're stuffed. Newcastle score after one minute - we're stuffed, Skuze gets injured at home against Burton - we absolutely panicked, ended up with both Bru and Grant playing in his position as we didn't know what to do. Yesterday, 1-2 down at home to bottom of the table Rotherham we go something like 3,5,2 and no one knows what the hell they're doing - we got a throw in on the left and we stood about for 30 seconds before Johnny Williams ended up taking the throw-in as no one knew what to do with Kenlock having been taken off. Lawrence could barely walk at the end of the game but no one came across to support Berra when he had the ball on the left (because no one knew who was playing where at that stage) so he ends up having to receive the pass anyway - and then loses it because he can't kick it. And it's like that every game. 

McCarthy gets a lot of stick for playing 'hoofball' or whatever and I think that's unfair - however, I think he probably should just play a long ball game as that at least would be a system where the players knew what they were trying to do, instead of playing clipped balls at McGoldrick's neck and expecting him to control it, or high balls for Freddie Sears to somehow beat their centre half and flick on. That's my main frustration watching every week - we just muddle through tactically and then need a flash of brilliance from McGoldrick yesterday to save a point (AT HOME AGAINST FRICKING ROTHERHAM). Norwich at home was the one game this season where I think we've been good tactically and instead of thinking "That worked well against Norwich, however at home against Preston we will need something else" we seemed to go "That worked well, we should do that again, and again, and again ...".

Anyway, a load of stream of consciousness there - TLDR, we are not very good, I don't think McCarthy has got any idea how to sort it and I think we're going to be around the relegation zone this season so can either do something about it now or hope he keeps us up. I don't think he'll leave, and I don't think Evans will sack him because he won't want to pay the compensation, so I just hope that we buy a striker in January with the Murphy money and win more than we lose. Williams looked good yesterday when he came on so if he can keep fit then that's a bonus. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Mick McCarthy has done a great job at Ipswich. They would be in league one now without him. He's had no cash, saved them from relegation and always finished in or around the playoffs. 

Ipswich fans need to get their collective heads checked. 

He did indeed stop us from going down in 2012/13, and got us in the playoffs in 2014/15. He's had a good record (the no cash thing is contentious - we're not one of the big spenders but he's bought a lot of players and we spend a lot on loan wages) but last year took a better team than he had in 14/15 to seventh (and a long way off 6th - it ended up looking closer than it was as we won the last couple of games after playoff positions were already sorted and 3rd-6th were resting players) and played poor football. This year he's arguably got an even stronger team and we look to be on the cusp of a relegation battle. He's got himself into a weird antagonistic relationship with the fans where he has a go at them for voicing opinions and basically people have stopped going as it's dull - 15,247 there yesterday officially but it's a lot less than that. My row is all season ticket holders and there were at least 7 empty seats as people can't be arsed. The lads in their twenties at my work place would rather play Saturday league football with their mates than come and watch us drag out a nil-nil for £30. It's an option to say "You did a great job Mick, we'll back you" and I suspect that's what the club will do and we'll see where it goes, but the casual fan isn't interested in it. 

I'll still be there obviously, because I'm a twat with nothing better to do on a Saturday afternoon. 

Anyway, enough of my moaning - how about those Wolves programme front covers ...  

In all honesty, he's a good manager (as you know) and not the dinosaur that some try and paint him as. Wolves are hard to place this year - do you need someone like McCarthy in to steady the ship and avoid relegation and then, hopefully, grind your way to promotion next year, or do you actually have the makings of a good team that just needs someone a bit tactically adventurous to take to the next level, in which case half the division is looking for that guy so good luck with that. 

I think Ipswich need a change so hope you take him - in which case I can guarantee you three points at our place later this season as we're nice like that.