Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

58 minutes ago, deKay said:

No Reno this episode though, I noticed. Shame. She was more of a complete character after ten minutes than Beard Lad and Asian Dude on the bridge have ever been.

They seem to be bigging up Fish Man this season, he got a seat at the top table despite (I think) not being seen before last episode. 

No doubt they’ll give him half an episode of back story then kill him off like they did with Robot Lady. 

I thought we would get away with no tears from Tilly this week but no, she has to go and cry yet again.

I did enjoy seeing the Trill homeworld and the "spawning" ponds as they were in DS9.

It was ok and the focus on crew mental health as a reoccurring theme this season will be interesting seeing as it was never fully tackled on shows like Voyager (where it would have been an issue).

7 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Did we find out why...

Reveal hidden contents

....the computer was speaking oddly before suggesting saru throw the crew a big lovely party? I glazed over.

Saru explained it being

Spoiler

That giant red sphere they found last season that scanned the ship seemed to transfer some of itself into the ships computer and is now actively trying to look after the crew or something. I had to read it up because it confused the hell out of me!

I did notice is it not the voice used in that mini epsiode set many more years in the future (where Discovery is empty).

• Commander Jameson changed the title to Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham
On 07/11/2020 at 06:39, IcEBuRN said:

c'mon guys, that was OK.

I think some of you are just looking to hate it. You can pick holes in any TV show if you're trying, and damn you're trying...

I went in to season 3 wanting it to be good. I don't want to hate it. I go in to every episode trying to find the good in it, so far I've been disappointed. (with the exception of ep2) I hope the next episode is the start of a great run for discovery, I really do!

On 07/11/2020 at 06:39, IcEBuRN said:

c'mon guys, that was OK.

I think some of you are just looking to hate it. You can pick holes in any TV show if you're trying, and damn you're trying...

I'm really not trying. They're ramming the holes down your throat, you don't have to try.

If some of you guys honestly find this thing so dreadful, why on earth are you still watching it? It's ok to shit on a show when it's just not being good sometimes. But, we're 3 seasons deep now, and some of you have literally nothing good to say about it, ever. So why are you putting yourself through this? :lol:

4 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

If some of you guys honestly find this thing so dreadful, why on earth are you still watching it? It's ok to shit on a show when it's just not being good sometimes. But, we're 3 seasons deep now, and some of you have literally nothing good to say about it, ever. So why are you putting yourself through this? :lol:

I was talking to a friend about this. If Discovery wasn't carrying the Trek name I would have given up on it long ago. I did give up on it midway through season 2 but he told me that it got better at the end so I watched it all (I didn't agree with him lol).

I still have hope that it becomes something great. TNG was mostly bobbins at the start but that turned into something special. Discovery could still do that, and because it's carrying the Trek name I really want it to.

30 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

If Discovery wasn't carrying the Trek name I would have given up on it long ago. 

Inversely, if it didn't have the Trek name I would probably enjoy it enough. I've watched plenty of poor TV sci-fi and dragged some enjoyment out of it. I watched Killjoys for goodness sake!

If it even said it was a proper reboot it could go off and be shit on it's own. And I'd just happily watch the old stuff. But it feels like it's dragging everything else down with it and I need to watch it to witness how. 

4 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Because trying to deconstruct why it's objectively bad is fascinating. And it helps you more appreciate why better writing works where this doesn't.

5 hours ago, IcEBuRN said:

Are you telling me you've never rubber necked as you go past a terrible car crash?

For me, I think there is potentially a good show in Discovery but effectively every decision they make goes the opposite direction. 

I get what they did in Season 1 focussing it around Burnham and it sorta worked there. But the show has had to continue to twist and convolute itself to keep Burnham as the main and, arguably, only character and I don't understand why this is so fundamentally important to the creators and writers. Burnham as a character, and the actress who portrays Burnham is well, fine. Not amazing, not completely terrible just fine in the grand tradition that Star Trek has of having plenty of pretty average actors around. 

The show simply needs to grow beyond Burnham.  She doesn't need to disappear but it would benefit from reverting to the usual Trek formula of having an ensemble cast and episodes where each cast member gets their own plot. Look at Riker in TNG. Good character, alright actor but the show didn't need to make every story about him or, indeed Picard. Burnham could happily fill that role if the stories were not so insistent on trying to involve her in every single storyline. 

Currently, I look back at Season 1 and the series showed a degree of promise at that point. Burnham was, then, a flawed but interesting character although already we saw hints that the whole universe would soon revolve around this single character. Lorca was interesting, as was Tyler to an extent. The resolution to Season 1 was indicative of the problems ahead where the Tyler arc sorta just limped to a WTF conclusion, Lorca went from a morally challenged character to a hysterical over the top crazy villain in the space of an episode whilst actual space nazi Georgou then joined the Discovery crew for... reasons. 

Season 2 introduced us to Pike who was a good addition, but also gave us a world ending plot which revolved around... Burnham, again. The plot was also pretty bobbins in any event. 

So far with Season 3, in addition to the show's still slavish devoting to having Burnham drive every important plot, I just feel the characters we're left with are going to struggle to headline the show particularly when no real effort is being made to make them interesting characters in their own right. There was a plot in the last episode which could have been given to any number of the characters but once again it went to Burnham.  And this is what I cannot work out, surely in the writer's room they discussed the plot, discussed who would beam down to the planet and did they really once again think we needed another Burnham plot/show? Are the writers not bored of Burnham to a degree?  Why not give this plot to any of the other characters. That's what I cannot work out, that why the writers really think that everything that happens should or needs to revolve around Burnham.

We've had characters in other series who got the lion's share of the stories - TNG: Picard, Data, Voyager: Janeway, Seven and the Doctor but even in those shows if you looked at the first two seasons, for better or worse you could find a Worf story, or a Paris story or a Quark story. Whereas with Discovery you get the feeling that whatever story they come up with will end up being the Burnham story. 

Got to say though I am enjoying this series a lot more than the first 2, that your post is spot on.  They are definietley making more attempt this season to flesh out the other characters, but there is still a long way to go.  As you say the latest episode despite being enjoyable had absolutely no reason to have Burnham as the one being chosen to accompany the main plot character down to the planet.  They quite literally have the Doctor say it should not be me dealing with this medical emergency it should be Burnham!!!!!  :doh:

I watched two episodes of Star Trek on Sunday.

One was the latest episode of Discovery and the other was the TNG episode 'Skin of Evil' (the one where Tasha Yar dies).

Watching them next to each other, it was so stark and obvious that the writing on TNG was far superior. It's worth noting that Skin of Evil isn't even a particularly good episode of TNG. It's from the first series when they were still finding their feet and things are generally a bit clunky. Despite that we had well defined characters who each had some nice moments throughout the episode. The thing that really struck was the funeral scene at the end of the episode. The crew go onto the Holodeck and a holographic Tasha Yar gives a message to each character. There's no blubbing or hugging but plenty of pretty competent face-acting and a general sense of contained grief, affection and respect for a dead crew member.

This is in such contrast to the constant blubbing, hugging and emotive speech giving seen in Discovery. Discovery, is full of talk about how the characters' feel yet it's all so superficial - real emotion is generally internal but you get the impression that the only thing that's inside these characters is another badly written monologue that's desperately trying to be poignant.

On 09/11/2020 at 16:44, Waggo said:

Got to say though I am enjoying this series a lot more than the first 2, that your post is spot on.  They are definietley making more attempt this season to flesh out the other characters, but there is still a long way to go.  As you say the latest episode despite being enjoyable had absolutely no reason to have Burnham as the one being chosen to accompany the main plot character down to the planet.  They quite literally have the Doctor say it should not be me dealing with this medical emergency it should be Burnham!!!!!  :doh:

Spoiler

Did I misunderstand, or did the Trill also imply that they wanted Burnham for a symbiote joining at some point too ?

That episode wasn’t terrible regarding the main plot points, I thought they were pretty Trek. But making Burnham the de facto saviour again, and also all the fucking crying, is what grates.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Did I misunderstand, or did the Trill also imply that they wanted Burnham for a symbiote joining at some point too ?

Spoiler

Spoiler

I understood that to mean the Trill would be looking to rejoin The Federation if Burnham and co can get the band back together.

I was chatting with my wife about this and trying to explain my annoyance at Burnham being Space Jesus. She didn't get it and just said "Isn't it obvious that she is some super important character to the universe and will be revealed to be that, sooner or later?".

Have to admit that I hadn't considered that. Maybe it is intentional... Maybe she is Space Jesus.... 

Jesus Burnham
Long hair                    ✓      ✓
Came back from the dead      ✓      ✓
Group of devoted followers   ✓      ✓
Arrival marked by lights
in the sky                   ✓      ✓
Bent the laws of physics     ✓      ✓
Adopted                      ✓      ✓
Can fucking do anything
without everyone losing
their goddamn minds          ✗      ✗