Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

7 minutes ago, readonly said:

Me too. The last two episodes have shown a promising upswing in quality. It actually feels like Star Trek again.

Yep, it does. The doctor's bedside manner needs a little work though.

bits of that did feel like Star Trek. The other bits (all the bits with burnham) were shite. plus don't reference Arium or whatever the fuck she was called and her joke funeral as though it was a massive thing, and expect us to care. and yeah more melodramatic crying and music swells. It's as though someone in the writing room wants to try write some sci fi, but the other people in the room are all going "How do we make people feel connected to this?, Where can we plant some crying??" just FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFFF

says a lot when theres a collective "shut your goddamn mouth" enacted by the admiral and we all cheer.

I have no idea why, but I always like Oded Fehr in stuff. He always seems to the play the same character: you start off thinking he is a baddie, but it turns out he's a grumpy dude who is mostly good, but he will still kill you if you cross him.

The Burn and the wibble field disturbance that delayed the ship's passage through the time sphincter will have been caused by Burnham detonating the magic spacesuit.

She will well up when this completely shocking truth is revealed.

4 hours ago, readonly said:

Me too. The last two episodes have shown a promising upswing in quality. It actually feels like Star Trek again.

I'm glad you're able to enjoy it. S3 has so far been an improvement. It's maybe not a bad sci-fi show.

But it feels nothing like Star Trek. It's got Tilly in it.

This made _no fucking sense_.

Time travellers from the past are verboten? We're all fucking time travellers from the past. That's how time fucking works. Am I a threat to the galaxy if I awaken after a bit of a lie in?

Star fleet is crippled due to the impossibility of long-range travel, so of course they'll show an aggressive indifference to the arrival of a ship with a demonstrated ability of instantaneous unlimited-range travel. Especially so if that ship is positively, disgustingly, _gagging_ to help out. The ship is a hilarious antique, let's put it out in harm's way!

The tiny ancient seed vault (an artifact of inestimable value) is obviously fucked - on emergency power, in a dangerous ion storm, everyone inside is dead, completely defenceless in a hostile universe.

All it needs is a new caretaker! Hopefully one that is 1000 years behind the curve! We'll leave it where it is! It'll be fine!

5 minutes ago, ryanm said:

Star fleet is crippled due to the impossibility of long-range travel, so of course they'll show an aggressive indifference to the arrival of a ship with a demonstrated ability of instantaneous unlimited-range travel. 

They were probably put off by the nodding dog yes man of a captain and his first officer Jesus. Only with none of the humility.

5 minutes ago, Barnard said:

Just incase you're not sure. The holograms are the ones with the metallic sounding voice. <_<

"Our AIs have evolved quite a bit since your day"

"Oh really? The AI in my day almost destroyed all life in the galaxy. This obnoxious asshole sounds like complete dogshit and can be alt-f4ed by blinking"

"HIGHLY EVOLVED!"

While I'm glad that Space-Hitler's ability to analyse and exploit inscrutable future-tech by smashing it with a chair and then clawing through the shards didn't seem to go anywhere in this episode, I have no confidence that she'll not have cobbled together a neutron bomb out of it at some convenient point in the future.

2 minutes ago, ryanm said:

While I'm glad that Space-Hitler's ability to analyse and exploit inscrutable future-tech by smashing it with a chair and then clawing through the shards didn't seem to go anywhere in this episode, I have no confidence that she'll not have cobbled together a neutron bomb out of it at some convenient point in the future.

When she's able to ascertain and then perfectly replicate with her eyelids the frequency of a hologram's emitter, you'd think she'd have a better use for that fancy badge than smashing it with a chair.

So.....  if someone blows up the ship with a load of seeds and stuff, with seemingly no defences, they're a bit fucked, right? That makes sense. Yeah. Burnham. 

It's got to be the omega particle though hasn't it? It's the only thing that would make sense. So it definitely isn't that. Is it?

The Burnhamverse. 

But then, control was definitely the Borg. But is wasn't. Or was it?  Who knows? Certainly not anyone who was watching. 

S3 is definitely more Trek than the previous, but it's still not making much sense. 

I've edited this about five this about five times now, if it's still wrong, ah shit. 

52 minutes ago, ryanm said:

She had to brutally kick something. That contractual obligation reared its head again.

Benny my boy. I enjoy your mid watch rants! :lol:

I've had a couple of other thoughts...Is focusing on Burnham that bad? I mean, they did it with Sisko. So I guess the concept isn't terrible, they're just fucking it up with the writing. 

The music... Shirely that's got something to do with the burn? Like, some harmonic resonance bullcrap which causes the dilithium to explode? I'll put 50p down on that theory. 

26 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Benny my boy. I enjoy your mid watch rants! :lol:

I've had a couple of other thoughts...Is focusing on Burnham that bad? I mean, they did it with Sisko. So I guess the concept isn't terrible, they're just fucking it up with the writing. 

Did they? I mean, yeah, Sisko was one of the lead characters and important to the narrative but there's plenty of episodes where he barely appears and othrt cast members take the lead. 

Plus you can have an important character without needing to show them all the time. The Visitor is one of the best episodes ever and he's definitely the focus of it but appears for like 5 minutes in the whole episode. 

This episode they could have kept both Saru and Burnham back and gave command to one of the other characters which would have been interesting but no, Burnham once again has to take over and be the focus of the show. I mean, in season 1 of TNG we have an episode where Geordi (the helmsman at that point) is placed in charge of the ship and its a decent narrative. Discovery seemingly has no confidence to do that with any of its less featured characters. 

And good old Burnham. Spent weeks whining about finding the Federation. They find the Federation and the first thing she wants to do is start a mutiny because she doesn't like being ordered around. Thank fuck Saru put a stop to her nonsense. 

And yeah, Discovery finds the Federation and they find out it has a way of traveling which could save the Federation and they seem to be staggeringly indifferent to what this could mean for the future of the Federation. To the point they then send out a 1000 year old ship, with this universe altering technology still on board, on a dangerous mission. It boggles the mind. Its like a Royal Navy ship docking in Southampton and saying they've got a cure for Coronavirus. And then being sent to the Arctic to reunite a lost penguin with its mum. 

It'll be the opposite: turns out Dilithium is formed by the harmonics of music, so when everyone in the galaxy forgot how to get down and boogie all of it dried up. Burnham will discover this and will become an ambassador for the Federation's "teach the galaxy how to make music again" program, as she roams the galaxy equipping ships with sound systems, like Discovery's newly retrofitted vuvuzelas that blare wherever she goes.

(Of course everyone will ignore that you can't hear anything in space)

9 hours ago, Papaya Dance said:

Saru well versed in painters from a thousand years into the history of a planet he's not even from. Clever guy.

I'd never heard of that artist. Still can't recall the name but I'd wager a chunk of cash that he wasn't the creator of the Renaissance.

9 hours ago, ryanm said:

This made _no fucking sense_.

Time travellers from the past are verboten? We're all fucking time travellers from the past. That's how time fucking works. Am I a threat to the galaxy if I awaken after a bit of a lie in?

Star fleet is crippled due to the impossibility of long-range travel, so of course they'll show an aggressive indifference to the arrival of a ship with a demonstrated ability of instantaneous unlimited-range travel. Especially so if that ship is positively, disgustingly, _gagging_ to help out. The ship is a hilarious antique, let's put it out in harm's way!

The tiny ancient seed vault (an artifact of inestimable value) is obviously fucked - on emergency power, in a dangerous ion storm, everyone inside is dead, completely defenceless in a hostile universe.

All it needs is a new caretaker! Hopefully one that is 1000 years behind the curve! We'll leave it where it is! It'll be fine!

Massive logical flaws in this episode as you point out some, but I too thought that about the seed bank. Crazy.

19 minutes ago, drmick said:

Massive logical flaws in this episode as you point out some, but I too thought that about the seed bank. Crazy.

Yeah. I mean, why didn't they just scan Discovery and let them be from the start? They have ridiculously advanced tech, that can read the fucking prions in your brain. They don't need discovery, if they've already scanned it thoroughly, they should have accessed everything, WITH ACCESS TO ALL IT'S SYSTEMS AND LOGS, and made an easy assertion of it's crew, and the magical spore drive, then be looking to replicate it. Urghh, it doesn't make any sense!

*I'm coming back next week.

11 hours ago, ryanm said:

The Burn and the wibble field disturbance that delayed the ship's passage through the time sphincter will have been caused by Burnham detonating the magic spacesuit.

She will well up when this completely shocking truth is revealed.

Spoiler

I didn't watch the second season but didn't her mother make the suit? If so, the song will be something her mother programmed in for her and has gone across space and time.

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Did they? I mean, yeah, Sisko was one of the lead characters and important to the narrative but there's plenty of episodes where he barely appears and othrt cast members take the lead. 

Plus you can have an important character without needing to show them all the time. The Visitor is one of the best episodes ever and he's definitely the focus of it but appears for like 5 minutes in the whole episode. 

This episode they could have kept both Saru and Burnham back and gave command to one of the other characters which would have been interesting but no, Burnham once again has to take over and be the focus of the show. I mean, in season 1 of TNG we have an episode where Geordi (the helmsman at that point) is placed in charge of the ship and its a decent narrative. Discovery seemingly has no confidence to do that with any of its less featured characters. 

And good old Burnham. Spent weeks whining about finding the Federation. They find the Federation and the first thing she wants to do is start a mutiny because she doesn't like being ordered around. Thank fuck Saru put a stop to her nonsense. 

And yeah, Discovery finds the Federation and they find out it has a way of traveling which could save the Federation and they seem to be staggeringly indifferent to what this could mean for the future of the Federation. To the point they then send out a 1000 year old ship, with this universe altering technology still on board, on a dangerous mission. It boggles the mind. Its like a Royal Navy ship docking in Southampton and saying they've got a cure for Coronavirus. And then being sent to the Arctic to reunite a lost penguin with its mum. 

Now I know how bad discovery is if people are using season 1 TNG on how to do things right!

Some more things I noticed to hate.

1) Burnham doesn't talk, she "emotively whispers" most of the time.

2) After ignoring the crew's names for 2 seasons, they've gone in the opposite direction - "Hey Helmsman Dave, are you ok Dave? Well done Dave, you did it Dave. Dave."