Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

I remember her species name but that is about it. I mean she was used here and there but otherwise more background scenery, I had even forgot her involvement in Android ladies death last season.

Spoiler

Saying that I enjoyed this episode, I liked the remnant Federation and their grey uniforms, would be great if they dumped the blue uniforms for the grey but they probably won't.

Would like to understand if that is the actual Voyager, just retrofitted hundreds of times over the years (it sure looked like it from the shape of bow).

Was that guy interviewing Yeoh's character from future Section 31?

2 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I remember her species name but that is about it. I mean she was used here and there but otherwise more background scenery, I had even forgot her involvement in Android ladies death last season.

Hide contents

Would like to understand if that is the actual Voyager, just retrofitted hundreds of times over the years (it sure looked like it from the shape of bow).

Spoiler

The latest in a line of new ones, surely? I can't recall refits getting letters added, just new replacements.

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

The latest in a line of new ones, surely? I can't recall refits getting letters added, just new replacements.

Spoiler

Aye, you'd think the original voyager would be decommissioned and turned into a museum piece as soon as it returned from the Delta quadrant. And all of the Enterprises iterations were entirely new ships, any that were retrofitted didn't have their registration changed.

This is kurz-trek though so who fucking knows.

I quite enjoyed that one, but is anyone going to remember that the Romulans don’t use dilithium for their warp drive? And don’t impulse engines use dilithium as well?

And yeah I loved seeing all those future ships with detached nacelles and organic hulls etc. It was great. But you’re telling me in all that time and with all this great technology no one’s tried devising another method of propulsion? Nice bit of Borg tech and they could be opening transwarp corridors. Surely Species 8472 weren’t using dilithium? Or you know, ask the Romulans.

But yeah it was alright. And David Cronenberg was brilliant!

2 hours ago, Death's Head said:

I quite enjoyed that one, but is anyone going to remember that the Romulans don’t use dilithium for their warp drive? And don’t impulse engines use dilithium as well?

And yeah I loved seeing all those future ships with detached nacelles and organic hulls etc. It was great. But you’re telling me in all that time and with all this great technology no one’s tried devising another method of propulsion? Nice bit of Borg tech and they could be opening transwarp corridors. Surely Species 8472 weren’t using dilithium? Or you know, ask the Romulans.

It's possible that, after the catastrophe that destroyed Romulus in Picard, they went back to being isolationists once they'd gotten their society back together?

9 hours ago, Flub said:

I don't hate the show. I've really enjoyed this series so far. Needs more Tilly though.

NO. She is rubbish, I mean, really just dumb, and annoying at the same time.  

I am deffo enjoying this season though, and using the Sisko algorithm  to justify Burnham being space jesus.

12 hours ago, Harsin said:

Tilly's actress has to be a bit worried now they've introduced another younger manic pixie space girl.

spacer.png

Who?

Tilly is great. The scene with her, Stamets and Reno was the best bit of the episode. Although Hugh’s entrance on the bridge was close.

Shame they’ve got rid of another character (Nhan) who was just being fleshed out. And the New Blonde Woman on the bridge came out of nowhere - who the hell is she?

6 minutes ago, deKay said:

Shame they’ve got rid of another character (Nhan) who was just being fleshed out. And the New Blonde Woman on the bridge came out of nowhere - who the hell is she?

I thought I must have missed something, but I wasn't going to rewatch the last episode to check. They really have just thrown a random onto the bridge. Going by the examples of how the writers "fleshed out" Ariam and Nhan, next episode we'll learn blondie's name and tragic backstory before she sacrifices herself for the crew, giving Burnham another reason to cry.

She was the noname who came through the wormhole last season with the crew, we've just found out now what her name is because WRITING. and Tilly is good? what alternate fucking timeline are we on here? she's cancer. along with Burnham they're the two most un-star fleet like abominations we've had in any trek to date. Tilly makes Wesley Crusher seem like a bastion of award winning characterisation. I have no idea why a certain subset of the fandom rally around Tilly so fervently. I'd love an honest answer to this from either dekay or Flub, as you're both absolute bonkers.

I’ve been through it before but I love her nervous bumbling and runaway tongue. She’s one of the few characters with an actual character - her, Stamets, Reno and Saru are those who are actually consistent in their mannerisms and ethos. Everyone else either has no personality, or it bounces all over the place.

Also I probably fancy Tilly a bit.

Saru i get. he could slot in to any Star Trek from the past in a heartbeat. but the rest? Stamets is dull as fuck and his arrogance seems to all be tied to some sort of personal justification and defence of his character and sexuality. it's dull, its so 21st century.  Reno is out of place comedy relief and doesnt work as a character but only as a plot device character. a "when we think someone needs something done, but its going to bore the shit out of the audience, lets include Reno" Tilly is just a car crash. She'd never have passed star fleet entrance exams, never mind being placed on the top secret very dangerously powerful starship Discovery. Even as an Ensign. And she's supposed to be working on Command? Even if i try to suspend the disbelief of all this, it just doesnt make any sense.

Stamets works for me for those reasons.

Reno isn't out of place. She's the comedy in engineering like Reg or Scotty, only different.

Tilly is very, very clever. She might not have sense, she might not have confidence, she might not have a part of her brain which tells her when not to talk, but she's bloody intelligent. That's how she passed and ended up on Discovery.

I get people not liking these characters, but they ARE characters.