Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

4 hours ago, sir podger said:

Hide contents

don't equate Burnham to Riker.

Burnham is like Reg Barclay in the episode where he got a brain upgrade from an alien probe - yeah everyone told me not to do something, but i'm doing it anyway - but without the charm his persona upgrade carried with its new found confidence.

Spoiler

I could have said Harry Kim and Chakotay, but come on, it’s Harry Kim, nobody would believe that. 

I'm going to have to come back to read all the spoilers in a day or so. I started watching it and my god, this one will take a few sittings to get through.

Spoiler

You're Spock's sister, you're perfect to talk to the Vulcans... They don't know who she is, she was wiped from history!

Also, stop almost crying again and again. FFfffffuuuuuuu.

Then,

Ensign Tilly, pls be my 1st officer. You are overqualified because you've fallen through a wormhole.

I'm out. I'm not drunk enough for this yet.

2 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

Hide contents

You're Spock's sister, you're perfect to talk to the Vulcans... They don't know who she is, she was wiped from history!

I completely forgot about that actually. The idiocy reaches new heights.

58 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

I'm going to have to come back to read all the spoilers in a day or so. I started watching it and my god, this one will take a few sittings to get through.

Hide contents

Also, stop almost crying again and again. FFfffffuuuuuuu.

Then,

Ensign Tilly, pls be my 1st officer. You are overqualified because you've fallen through a wormhole.

I'm out. I'm not drunk enough for this yet.

Is it time to check the ip addresses of people in this thread. Because clearly the Discovery writers are simply trolling us all at this stage. 

I actually liked this episode a lot. Seemed like a proper “court room” Trek, Burnham’s mum was basically Guinan, and there was a lot of lore in there. Too many tears, no Reno, and no Georgiou Face Kick though.

But fuck yeah Tilly! Yass.

like a proper court room drama, if it was writen by idiots, had no concequences worth caring about, no substence or anything that made it interesting. and they called it Unification III. becuase the world revolves around burnham, there was never any doubt or worry that shit was going to go bad. This is what happens when you write an utterly overpowered unbelievable and unlikable character, acted by a person who can't do anything other than "constipated cry face / whispered voice / look into distance"

Roll on the next episode of the Burnham Show.

With the benefit of hindsight I'm wondering if the future Burnham and Discovery should have jumped to should have been whatever the real world gap is between Star Trek Nemesis' release was and today, transplanted into the Trek universe?

That is: Nemesis came out in 2002 (18 years ago) and was set in 2379, so make Discovery jump to 2397 (2379 plus 18). Then it could share a universe with Picard or at least draw upon some modern Trek characters and lore.

It's painful watching the Discovery crew find out about established tenets of Trek fact like the Trill and the Romulans. And clearly they have no access to Wikipedia on the ship despite the upgrades because they keep getting shocked by new revelations on a weekly basis. Surely Vulcan's status would have been one of the very first things Burnham would have checked, A YEAR AGO WHEN SHE BLOODY GOT TO THIS TIME PERIOD. But no, Oded Fehr had to tell her. And he now loves because she ticks the VAME box for diversity.

I got drunker and finished the episode. I'm now going to go back and enjoy reading all your spoilers. I can't remember much about what happened other than I was bored, confused, and raging because she fucking cried AGAIN.

Spoiler

I can't remember how her Mum ended up in the future despite watching every episode of season 2. Did she get there and send the suit back for Burnham? I don't know. Also, did Saru get it on with the Vulcan lady at the end?

14 hours ago, McCoy said:

Oh dear, as with most episodes I've hit a point where I just have to stop watching and do something else for a bit. 

If anyone can't work out what that moment is it rhymes with 'command program' Billy. 

The earlier bit with Burnham trying to work out the cause of the Burn was close enough to giving up. I had issues with my broadband this morning and Vodafone tech support was fucking useless. Still, I'd rather take their help over someone who's come from the year 1220 who suggests they take a look at the router because once they used a pigeon to deliver a message. 

Haha, I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one who had to pause the episode and back out because it was all too much to take :lol:

9 hours ago, deKay said:

I actually liked this episode a lot. Seemed like a proper “court room” Trek, Burnham’s mum was basically Guinan, and there was a lot of lore in there. Too many tears, no Reno, and no Georgiou Face Kick though.

But fuck yeah Tilly! Yass.

sketch1606551789367.png.b83f2161837285cb82dc058a8315b25e.png

The Tilly thing was incredibly dumb, and if I was that Admiral guy I'd now be seriously questioning Saru's decision making abilities.

Spoiler

At least Burnham made sense in context of the show. As the episode points out many times, Tilly's an Ensign who's only command experience was pretending to be evil Tilly for a couple of episodes. I Ictually don't mind her as a character, but she's not a Commander.

Of course, she did fly through a wormhole hundreds of years into the future. That would make her uniquely qualified if it wasn't for, I don't know, every other officer on the ship.

Can I point out for a second just how fucking sickening it is that:

Spoiler

In the context of everything else, Burnham the Chosen gets to have her mum back? Literally the entire crew has lost every single member of their family, or everyone they ever knew or loved, that wasn't on Discovery. Burnham has had an entire year to process this grief. Everyone on Discovery on the other hand would be pretty much at the highest levels of psychological stress right now...

So basically Detmer is the only member of the crew at this point who is actually showing any true emotions.

This would explain everyone else clapping Tilly while they're all in the denial phase, let alone Saru promoting her because he's probably all like: fuck it.

And all this while Burnham swans around doing whatever she likes, and breaking everyone's trust like this crew didn't just give up everything they had to follow her, then to cap it off she has the gall to burst into tears at the slightest hint of someone telling her no. People who currently would be genuinely suffering mentally from just having lost nearly everyone from their lives and would be just about keeping it together.

16 hours ago, Death's Head said:

They've got this programmable matter, right, that can become anything? Why can't it become dilithium?

It can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals, moving parts. It doesn't work that way. But it can form solid metal shapes.

Knives and stabbing weapons.

Absolute crap. Glad to see I’m not the only one stopping half way through to take a break from the boredom. Did that really have to be a whole episode? Basically nothing happened.

And i wish I’d never noticed the whispering!

its doing my head in now. SPEAK UP

it doesn’t make everything sound meaningful, it’s just fucking annoying.

I’m trying to recall if any other shows do it now.

1 hour ago, IcEBuRN said:

It can't form complex machines. Guns and explosives have chemicals, moving parts. It doesn't work that way. But it can form solid metal shapes.

Knives and stabbing weapons.

But they're using it in the controls of the ship and the spore drive. And dilithium is a crystal, not a machine so it has a stable shape.

(And regarding moving parts, their ships literally split apart to turn around.  That's got to be more complicated than replicating a crystal?)

Alright here's another one - holographic dilithium. I mean one of the ships we saw in the Federation hidey hole was entirely holographic wasn't it? Just stick some holo emitters near the warp core. 

I me I know its all nonsense tech but they've literally put solutions right in front of us. Oh and still no mention of Romulans non-dilithium warp drives. Meh.