Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

9 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I think the writers have conveniently forgotten about the artificial singularity thing. And I guess nobody bothered to look into any of the other FTL technologies the show's dabbled with over the years.

I’m pretty certain Book told Burnham in Ep 1 of this season that everyone was affected except the Romulans, but then omitted to mention to a 1000-year old Starfleet officer who might be interested since they’d missed quite a lot, that they had also unified with the Vulcans. That was just an aside dropped in this week by the Admiral. My assumption up until this week was that the Romulans were still adversaries and had kept their tech to themselves.

I keep wondering, is it just us? Have our critical faculties been biased by a dodgy second season and we're willing it to be shit? No I don't think so. We were all actually willing to give it the benefit of the doubt this season and it started differently enough. I actually had hope in the second episode it was doing something different, and we'd go between two time periods throughout the season... But no.

She's been there a year. We know this because she won't stop fucking mentioning it and how much it's changed me maaaaan. In all that time she was apparently so busy getting new haircuts that she never once went on space Wikipedia.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

She's been there a year. We know this because she won't stop fucking mentioning it and how much it's changed me maaaaan. In all that time she was apparently so busy getting new haircuts that she never once went on space Wikipedia.

Maybe the lack of donations because they don’t use money finally put paid to Space Wiki.

51 minutes ago, Benny said:

I dare you to try to find a negative review of this week's episode on the internet. It'll only make you sad. The war is lost.

I couldn't believe it when I watched a couple of reviews on youtube last night. I was all ready to enjoy seeing cutting commentary on why it was so shit. The first one opens by saying "this is my favourite episode of Discovery so far." No way, it must be a crazy person. I'll back out there and watch another. "This episode wasn't my favorite" (yes! here we go!) "but it is top 2" (whaaaaaat?).

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

That's exactly what I said two days ago. Great minds and all that, although mine's faster and more thorough lol.

The thing is, it's not that there's anything wrong with a show that explores emotional issues or that Star Trek shouldn't do that. But it's so badly written and characters are so obviously fake that there isn't any true emotional content for it to explore, because none of it even makes sense. At least not if you're an actual adult with a working empathetic brain that doesn't cry crocodile tears when someone turns the pretty lights off.

Absolutely. They tried to counter me by saying how you saw Picard upset in Family and Generations. As if my point was they should all be emotionless robots. That's two examples in, what 170 odd episodes? Burnham's got the waterworks going at least twice every episode. It totally loses all impact when it's so frequent. 

That's before you even get to the scenes without crying where EMOTION is being desperately injected in with dramatic music and hushed voices where it's completely undeserved and unwarranted. 

I'd say let the stories speak for themselves but...they don't know how to write stories do they.

you should look at the writing credits of the entire writing team for this last episode. none of them have done anything other than shit new star trek. like they gave the biggest gig of their lives to complete unknowns. Just imagine if there was a world of competent sci fi writers out there they could have gotten on board.

51 minutes ago, Nicky said:

you should look at the writing credits of the entire writing team for this last episode. none of them have done anything other than shit new star trek. like they gave the biggest gig of their lives to complete unknowns. Just imagine if there was a world of competent sci fi writers out there they could have gotten on board.

This. There are so many excellent science fiction writers out there whose stories could easily be turned into screenplays by the many excellent screenwriters out there. 

Next Generation era Trek writers also seemed to have their noses in the latest Scientific American or New Scientist magazines to keep the fantastical tech straddling the line between bonkers and hard sci-fi.

Things like nano tech, hawkings theories and electronics like the handheld held PADDs did not need massive suspensions of disbelief. 

4 hours ago, Barnard said:

Things like nano tech, hawkings theories and electronics like the handheld held PADDs did not need massive suspensions of disbelief. 

I'm intrigued by things like the programmable matter and what they can do with holograms now (especially given what holograms in the TNG era could do) but the show doesn't seem interested in exploring that or the implications of this tech.

You guys know I've been enjoying this series of Discovery. That episode? DO NOT WANT.

Bottle episodes can be good. A constrained setting can spur a good writer to produce something very good with limited resources. As it stands and given how few episodes are left in the series I have to ask what the point of that shite was? Just complete trash. And much as I like Tilly I agree with everyone else that it only happened because not even the writers can remember the names of the other senior officers without looking them up.

Next week looks like it's dealing with whatever is wrong with Space Hitler. I'm onboard for that. Anything with Space Hitler I'm all for.

One other thing that just struck me. The reason I had to stop watching the Flash was due to Barry's major character flaw. One that he shares with Jesus Burnham. 1. Given a range of options Barry will always choose the worst one and 2. Barry will never ever learn from his mistakes.

Does that sound like anyone we know?

30 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Kurtzman, take note.

From the comments. It's spot on. 

"They really need Ira Behr and Ron Moore back. Go back and look at all the interviews with them. They had so much good advice and criticism that are still relevant to Trek today. Just look at the advice Ron Moore gave about Enterprise back in 2000 and it applies 100% to Discovery and the Pike show. "The STAR TREK past, it's challenging; it sounds like it's fun on one level, and I thought that was an interesting way to go for a long time. But it has a lot of pitfalls to it. You have a very complex future mapped out. If you are going to go into STAR TREK's past, say, pre-Kirk, you better have an iron-clad commitment to maintaining the continuity that's been established, or I think you are just going to lose everybody. Because if you go back before Kirk, and you start screwing around, and you just don't care what NEXT GEN or DS9 or VOYAGER established, or the movies, or even the original series, you just try to make it up as you go along, I think you just lost everyone. The whole franchise will just collapse, because it will have no validity whatsoever. If you are going to go there, you really better be prepared to truly put on the STAR TREK mantle and be the keeper of the flame."

The Tilly scene where the B cast of forgettables tell her to go for the Promotion was complete and utter cringe.

Definitely a poor episode this week,

Spoiler

Burnham's mother appearing as one of those Picard Show monks was just WTF, but not in a good way.

It was just shockingly boring. So, so dull. 

I hate modern tv's obsession with 'family'. No one can just do a job, their workmates have to be their 'family'. From Community to Sherlock to Discovery and beyond. Is it because so many writers have broken homes or is it what they assume modern audiences want friends with the way modern fandom works?

Either way. I fucking hate that type of pandering to an imagined audience.

Maybe the solution needs to be that Burnham is the cause of everything and she needs to wipe herself from existence to fix it all?  

I can't really remember last season but most of the reveals seemed pretty flat.

Also why are they all so obsessed with the federation?  I don't know much about Star Trek lore but It's in theory at best , what a galactic trading empire with a focus on peace and knowledge?

This season they talk about it like it's a cult and despite most people having lost their families and everyone they ever knew they seemed most gutted that the federation might not be around.

I guess the end of this season might finish with them all drinking some galactic kool aid rather than live without the federation?

From this video:

Spoiler

I forgot to point out when I first watched the episode (probably because I'd blanked it from my mind) at the amazing multiple types of gurning she manages to get through in the space of a few minutes in that scene. It looks exactly like the kind of "trying to force crying" thing that children do when they've just been told they can't have any more ice cream or something.

2 hours ago, Gommy said:

Also why are they all so obsessed with the federation?  I don't know much about Star Trek lore but It's in theory at best , what a galactic trading empire with a focus on peace and knowledge?

BURNHAM LOVES THE FEDERATION. LOVES IT! 

Also, can't follow any rules and doesn't think she belongs in it, despite repeatedly giving passionate speeches about how she loves it.

If the show had any wit they'd have something to say about the passionate defences she offers of something while not wanting to follow any of the precepts that underpin it because it's personally inconvenient, but no. They're dumb shits.