Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

3 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

I missed a giant chunk where my eyes were rolling too often to focus on the screen

Hide contents

Is this the actual Burnham or the mirror Burnham? I didn't see if she followed Hitler through the magic door.

Spoiler

She had her old haircut so I assumed it was mirror Burnham. They didn’t show her going through the door or anything.

4 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

I missed a giant chunk where my eyes were rolling too often to focus on the screen

Hide contents

Is this the actual Burnham or the mirror Burnham? I didn't see if she followed Hitler through the magic door.

Spoiler

After Space Hitler entered the door, everyone on screen from that point forward was an evil universe character. So absolutely nothing mattered narratively. Even more than usual.

So is there no limit on the range of the spore drive then? Because the mention of the galactic rim made me realise they could just teleport round the superhuman- creating galactic barrier and go and explore other galaxies, which you think the Federation might be interested in. I think that's what annoys me the most about this jump to the future; the utter lack of curiosity and imagination. They've travelled a 1000 years into the future and it just feels like the same old. 

Also,  the bloody mirror universe again? At least they upped the campness. The only things that were ever good about the mirror universe were Spock's beard and Kira's shiny bottom. 

This suffered from exactly the same problem as the equivalent two-parter right at the end of Enterprise:

Spoiler

Mirror Universe episodes, while inherently shit anyway, are doubly pointless when you don't even bring over your regular characters. There's no plot progression, no stakes, just a bunch of actors furiously hamming it up for a couple of hours like they're waiting for the rest of the pantomime to materialise around them.

I did quite enjoy Tilly's "last hairdresser left in the Southend nightclub" look though.

Spoiler

Reckon we might get a guest appearance from Jason Isaacs next week?

This season continues to feel cheap and nasty and claustrophobic. At least when they visited this setting in the first series the sets and production design looked impressive, even if the writing was as abysmal as always. Now it was all just conveniently redressed standing Discovery sets that we see every week, at least they still had the expensive looking costumes in storage. The supposedly 'grand' welcome party in the canteen set was hilariously low rent.

"The sphere data clearly wants us to foobar the whatsits!"

"Well, I guess that's all there is to it. The sphere data is an entity of pure knowledge accreted over millennia of exper... Hey wait a minute! That sphere is just two incompetent writers standing on each others' shoulders in an overcoat!"

The last three episodes of this have been deathly dull. Nothing is happening nowhere interesting slowly.

It's. So. Boring. 

It used to be frenetic and shit but now it's like they just can't be bothered.

A 2-parter where I genuinely don't care to see the next bit.

I'm getting strong Chekhov's Gun urges about the floating repair droids that are in almost every scene now.

Season 1 "Droids? That's a funny noise, is that a word? What does it mean?

Season 2, set about 5 subjective seconds after season 1 : "Careful you don't trip over the floating droid that's busily humming around the place, why don't we step over here to have a conversation, and maybe a bit of a cry, in front of the glass-fronted droid locker that now exists in every corridor intersection?"

It's just going to turn out to be visual noise isn't it?

its "star wars has droids we need them too. if people like them we can maybe get someone licence them!" 

And i think the dour exterior planets stuff is because someone watched The Expanse S4 and went "THIS LOOKS SO ALIEN AND COOL AND ICELAND IS A POPULAR HOLIDAY DESTINATION IN THE US, LETS MAKE SPACE LOOK LIKE ICELAND! BUT GET THIS.... WITH PARASITIC ICE!" while wanking each other off and scrawling the script in their own ejaculate.

I didn't mind this one, barring the dull start. Mirror universe Discovery is far more interesting than Prime. I am missing a lot of context though as I never watched the mirror episode(s?) in S1 as I gave up on it at about episode 4 (the one where they put a giant micro organism in nipple clamps to teleport through a network of mushrooms, I can't understand why I didn't carry on with it...)

I fucking love mirror universe discovery. It's so campy. Mirror Burnham trying to whisper, shout, laugh and cry at the same time was amazing.

I also love how shit the art performance was, as though it was a local school play not a performance for a Space Emperor.

Do you think Cronenburg just got in touch with the production stafff one day and was like "hey guys would you mind making me an extra?" and the writers got all excited about some actual talent being involved so they gave him a speaking role? Only he turns up on the day of filming in his giant hipster glasses and the script supervisor is like "oh, um, so, in the future they don't actually need glasses" and Cronenburg's like "what?" and then someone from the writing team rushes over and is trying to apologise to Mr Cronenburg while at the same time doing mental backflips over how they are going to make fucking glasses work in Star Trek and basically we'll find out in a couple of episodes that he's a hologram and the specs are his defence against blinking attacks or he's a temporal terrorist wearing a time visor or he's Geordi La Forge in disguise because who fucking cares any more?

On 11/12/2020 at 17:30, Death's Head said:

Mind you, hat bloke is blatantly a

Hide contents

Q

isn't he? I didn't think Disco would go there. 

That was my guess too. Although there’s no shortage of other races he could be with similar powers.

That was annoyingly stupid up until Space Hitler went through the door. Then it became entertainingly stupid.

It really does annoy me though when Discovery, and indeed the Abrams movies introduce nonsensical pseudophysics for the sake of a single plot point, especially when they potentially limit what you can do in future storylines should they stick.