Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

Interesting. I can definitely see a bit of Elba in his looks, obviously much younger. 

Similar to how I can see some Jim Carrey in that Flash actor:

hartley-sawyer-fired-the-flash.jpg

That being said, I'm definitely aware of the issues relating to how white people see black people (I understand that the typical white person is much worse at recognising a black person than, for example, a person from the same race - https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/nyregion/the-science-behind-they-all-look-alike-to-me.html?auth=login-google) so wouldn't have commented if it hadn't been brought up. 

So whilst I can definitely see a bit of Elba in his performance, I acknowledge why this is potentially problematic. I also acknowledge that whilst white actors can resemble other white actors it is a bit different due to the sheer quantity of white actors whilst comparing a black actor to one of the few very well known black actors is probably very condescending in itself and further highlights the lack of diversity issues regarding film and tv. 

Sorry,  I didnt mean to derail the fun or have a go but as McCoy says above, we aren't quite there yet with diversity in film and TV without statements like that leaping out. Don't forget Idris himself had to go to America to be taken seriously as an actor. And this is also the country that goes into fits of apoplexy when a black family appears in a supermarket ad.

2 hours ago, McCoy said:

Interesting. I can definitely see a bit of Elba in his looks, obviously much younger. 

Similar to how I can see some Jim Carrey in that Flash actor:

hartley-sawyer-fired-the-flash.jpg

That being said, I'm definitely aware of the issues relating to how white people see black people (I understand that the typical white person is much worse at recognising a black person than, for example, a person from the same race - https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/20/nyregion/the-science-behind-they-all-look-alike-to-me.html?auth=login-google) so wouldn't have commented if it hadn't been brought up. 

So whilst I can definitely see a bit of Elba in his performance, I acknowledge why this is potentially problematic. I also acknowledge that whilst white actors can resemble other white actors it is a bit different due to the sheer quantity of white actors whilst comparing a black actor to one of the few very well known black actors is probably very condescending in itself and further highlights the lack of diversity issues regarding film and tv. 

If it's any consolation, I can't tell tbe Solo guy, the Goldfinch guy or the Baby Driver guy apart either.*

All the Chris's looked virtually identical to me for years too.

*Edit. It's possible these are all the same actor, for all I know.

I definitely get some Idris Elba vibes from him, in looks and intensity. It's not just the Black British guy in sci-fi thing. He's nothing like, I dunno, John Boyega or Noel Clarke for example.

Maybe a bit Paterson Joseph though, from when he was in Survivors.... Not so much from Peep Show though :D

Just watched this episode.

It was FANTASTIC. Tilly, Reno, Adria, Stamets - all my favourites. The joke about eating. The 4th wall joke about “where have you been Reno?”. Technobabble.

Airam was back! Although not actually there. Lorca was back! Although not actually there. Detmer got stabbed! Burnham got stabbed! Everyone got shot and/or stabbed! Carl HAD HIS SCARY VOICE.

Best episode ever.

No, not good. Not Trek. It didn't make any sense. 100% discovery.

Spoiler

They changed species so they didn't scare the Kelpian? So... the actual Kelpian turned into a human, because he'll be ok with humans. Than the actual humans turned into a Bajoran and a Trill. I might me too drunk and misunderstood something there, but that made no sense.

Then the end where Discovery mushroom jumped away, and the chain ship jumped too? Is that a thing? Can Discovery take nearby ships with it when it mushroom jumps? So it could have taken the Voyager J (or whatever letter it was) along for the ride wherever as backup?

I'm either too drunk to understand what I just saw, or not drunk enough to accept it.

4 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

To try and take something positive from the episode, were those tentacles from the orion ship (reminiscent of the pakled ships from Lower Decks) and the mind control device they used in Stamets borg technology?

Why would that be a positive? Who wants to see them ruin the Borg?