Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

Spoiler

Quick! Blink at the lie detector really fast!

They mentioned Ensign with the conn was in charge again. I thought she was the Captain. They don't know how naval vessels or command structures work.

Spoiler

The Admiral talking about how a replicated apple is made of shit really didn't sound very Star Trek at all. They just wanted him to say the word "shit" a few times because they think it's cool.

Spoiler

Burnham running around without any shoes on doesn't make any sense. It's trying to reference Die Hard without actually understanding anything about Die Hard.

8 minutes ago, Death's Head said:
  Hide contents

It's quite something that the supposed bad guys are suing for peace and taking care not to hurt anyone while the good guy is chucking people out of airlock.

This is the most egregious part so far.

Spoiler

The Federation is actually trying to resolve things diplomatically while our heroes are just straight up fucking over the galaxy. If it wasn't for the green lady murdering someone in an earlier episode this could have been more interesting in terms of whether her methods were justified etc.

Spoiler

I'm also really uncomfortable how they use a disabled guy to represent the "other" side of an argument but then it's okay he's just been misled, he can't really be evil if he's in a wheelchair... I dunno something just feels off.

Well, blow me down, I rather enjoyed that. 

Now will go and read what Benny has posted and probably change my view but it passed the bog standard entertainment test which Discovery doesn't normally do! 

Spoiler

The chat between the Admiral and Green face was probably the closest the episode could have come to approaching something meaningful. Unfortunately negotiations broke down because we can't have nice Star Trek things.

Spoiler

What Burnham does to Stamets is hilarious. It also facilitates the Burnham tears mandate for this episode :lol:

Also, I'm not sure why Stamets was so upset, she just sent him to the space station so he was out of harm's way.

10 minutes ago, Benny said:
  Hide contents

Oh look it's Deus Ex Masphere data here to save the day :lol:

I mean, really, THAT was the use they finally had for it :lol:

Spoiler

I mean, couldn't the sphere data have done something useful while the ship was being taken over? It literally had control of the whole computer. 

Spoiler

Emerald Green wanted the federation to help give them legitimacy but I thought earlier on in the season it was established that the federation was now largely a none event?

We spent a number of episodes with the crew fawning over the federation of years gone by and not only are their headquarters hidden but finding a representative was difficult as supposed federation outposts had not been in touch with the federation for years? Didn't Michael just promote the one guy sh  found?

Spoiler

Bracing myself for several episodes of Tilly issuing commands in a nervous voice and following them all up with “Ummm, if that’s ok with you ?”.

This will happen weekly until a scenario in the final episode where she issues a command that could potentially send someone to their death; maybe Burnham, Asian Man Who Stands At Glass Screen or Blonde Lady Who Walks Around At The Back (thank you, whoever coined those character names a couple of pages back). There will initially be some pushback, and she will bark “You have your orders, dammit !” and everyone will nod approvingly whilst realising she’s come of age. Then Saru and Admiral ‘Bloke From The Mummy’ will promote her.

My prediction from November. I take very little pleasure in getting this nearly bang on, and we still have a whole episode for the last sentence to come true.

As for this week, I enjoyed the Admiral/Osyraa stuff actually. Burnham continues to whisper, cry, and whisper while crying, and is the main reason I have to watch the show using subtitles, being a bit of a deafy. Her dialogue doesn’t get any better when you have to read it.

19 hours ago, Benny said:

Which of course shouldn't really work if you have a personal teleporter

There was a scene early on explaining personal transportation want available for reasons.

I thought that episode was alright in isolation, which seems to be the case for most of the Frakes ones. There was some really dumb writing when taken in context though.

Spoiler

Stammets yelling at Michael about how Discovery came to the future for her probably ranks highest. No you didn't, you came to the future to stop Control destroying all intelligent life. You know, the one you already killed.

22 hours ago, Benny said:
  Hide contents

I'm also really uncomfortable how they use a disabled guy to represent the "other" side of an argument but then it's okay he's just been misled, he can't really be evil if he's in a wheelchair... I dunno something just feels off.

I don’t necessarily disagree about the character but I can’t really begrudge them bringing back Kenneth Mitchell, who played Kol and other Klingon characters in the earlier season but was since diagnosed with ALS and is wheelchair bound.

Yeah it was only a commentary on the character.

Spoiler

And he literally turns up and has an arc from "bad guy to maybe not a bad guy" in seconds, it just felt weird.

Spoiler

Is this the wrong moment to tell you that I love you for the first time?

Do the writers have any idea how people actually talk. Never once when I have first said those three little words have I phrased it as 'i love you, and this is the first time I have told you that'. 

On 01/01/2021 at 14:13, Death's Head said:
  Hide contents

It's quite something that the supposed bad guys are suing for peace and taking care not to hurt anyone while the good guy is chucking people out of airlock.

No wonder they had those no smoking signs on the enterprise if this is what the fire suppression system does.

Ridiculous isn't it? If I recall my Technical Manual correctly (and of course I do, come on) it's meant to be handled by localised forcefields that suppress the flames so it seems they've become far more lax about safety nearly a millennium later.  Mind you, considering the entrance to Starfleet headquarters has no handrails maybe that's how they get their kicks in the future considering they seem to spend all their time just hanging around.