Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

Such a shame my sub ran out before the finale.

It really is. I didn't have the energy to review it as I watched. Was looking forward to your take. It wasn't THE dumbest episode of the series. That's the only positive I can give it. Lordy lord it was fucking dumb though.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

Netflix put their prices up, so I won't be watching it until something new comes on Netflix worth subbing for. The relief is palpable.

Have you heard of Star Trek: The Next Generation? That's on there. Worth a watch.

Spoiler

Cover me Book I have a plan.

Oh and btw this plan actually does nothing to try and get you out of the perilous situation you are currently in it mainly involves you covering me while I do a runner and leave you to fend for yourself still outnumbered.

Spoiler

Didn't they have those stupid huge internals for the turbolift in one of the JJ Abrams trek films too? I remember being pissed off by that in one of those films too. I mean, we've seen what a turbolift shaft looks like in loads of trek before; it looks like a lift shaft, not some giant cavern.

Anyhoo, in the positives, I like the look of the season 4 uniforms; a little bit st:tmp. 

But then crowbarring in "WE LOVE STAR TREK, WE REALLY DO!", with the (entirely out of context as far as I could make out?) Gene Rodenberry quote and the original series music, really annoyed me.

Oh, and a crying child destroyed the UFP? Meh...

Fuck sake. I keep pausing it because it's too awful. I'm gesturing wildly at the screen and looking up at the ceiling most of the time because I just can't make eye contact with the thing,. I'm currently half way through and I've come in here to read @Benny blow by blow account so I don't have to watch the last half and his bloody netflix account has expired. 2021 is so much shitter than 2020 now I have to watch the last half. Fuck me it's bad.

I gave up two weeks ago. Got halfway through the episode with all the holograms where everyone had inexplicably been changed into a different species and realised I no longer cared about any of these characters or what happened to them. In fact I barely even bothered to follow the plot any more. So I stopped watching. I haven't felt since then that I've missed out on anything, and in fact I wish I'd done it two weeks earlier which would have saved me from the Space Hitler two-parter.

Good luck to everyone sticking with it. I'll continue to check in here because the horrified reactions of everyone in this thread is absolutely the best thing about this show. I look forward to the time when @Benny renews his Netflix subscription, watches three seasons of this in a week and goes absolutely fucking insane.

Utter, utter shit from start to finish. But especially the finish

Spoiler

What could they do to ensure GC Zombie doesn't watch season 4? Captain Burnham. Captain fucking Burnham.

I made the mistake of watching season 3 after a shit season 2, but I thought going into the future was an interesting idea. They fucked it up. I have no reason to watch any more.

Spoiler

So a key thing at the start of the season was that long-distance comms across the Galaxy were no longer possible - but Burnham can just send a message to nuVulcan just using her bog standard communicator.

The entire plot of this sodding season is that long distance travel is no longer possible because of THE BURN, yet they can send a whole sodding fleet halfway across the galaxy.

As a proper 90s Trekkie I have to agree that the two worst sins for me were the impossibly large Turbolift system, and the garbage chute style warp core ejection system.

2 hours ago, Harsin said:
  Hide contents

So a key thing at the start of the season was that long-distance comms across the Galaxy were no longer possible - but Burnham can just send a message to nuVulcan just using her bog standard communicator.

The entire plot of this sodding season is that long distance travel is no longer possible because of THE BURN, yet they can send a whole sodding fleet halfway across the galaxy.

To do nothing. I hope they kept fuel receipts. 

I burst out laughing when I pressed Play and the time on it was 1hr and 2 minutes. :lol:

Spoiler

Book recovered from that excruciating pain pretty damn quickly!

And looks like someone on the writing team remembered about the personal transporters. A bit of throwaway dialogue that they're using "jammers" so can't use them.

Spoiler

Wait....

So.. "how do we get out of the big ship we're trapped in so we can go rescue our friends? Well, we can eject the warp core and blow ourselves out of the hole and hope we won't get destroyed"

But then wheelchair-scientist guy goes "Well, actually, maybe Booker can use  the spore drive".

1) In the original plan, how were they going to get back to the dilithium planet without a warp drive?

2) if they try to use the spore drive instead, why do they still bother to eject the warp drive? They could just spore jump out of there...

It's akin to Season 2's "Wahoo! We destroyed the mad AI, Control... Well, I guess we may as well still travel 1000 years into the future for some reason."

Whether by accident or design (judging the quality of most of the scripts you have to assume the former) the writers have however with:

Spoiler

The reveal that the mighty Federation was brought to it’s knees not by some deadly new enemy or super weapon, but the anguish of a grieving child, come up with literally the most Gene Roddenberry Star Trek concept since Roddenberry himself

Overall better than last season and I guess I will be back for the next.

Well that was dumb. I sighed when I checked the running time and realised there was still twenty minutes more nonsense to wade through.

Spoiler

It's a small point, but am I right in understanding that the the latest Instant Character You Should Care About claimed she could hold her breath for ten minutes, while... talking normally and clearly not holding her breath?

There's so many daft bits of writing like that. Even if the episode made sense, we're once again treated to a season finalé where the crisis is resolved by punching the problem in the face. Yay Star Trek! Remember Star Trek? If not, we'll try to remind you what show this is supposed to be in the credits.

i dont watch it since "that incident" but I read up on what caused the Burn...

[

Spoiler

It is a very Roddenberry and a very TNG outcome but the execution sounds woeful..

Reminds me of the TNG episode Survivors with Kevin and Rishon and his killing of an entire species, the Husnock, with a single thought.

The most amusing part though is that TNG did it in one episode with some great performances and it felt like a momentus thing that was contained in a 45 minute episode... Discovery has to take a whole season and amp everything UP TO THE MAX...

it shows how they fundamentally misunderstand Trek even if they can seemingly come up with a "Roddenberry Trek" solution/idea.

Also interesting that it wasn't the finale meaning they can't even stick to their own plan.

For those of us who gave up on Disco when do we get the Captain Pike show to hang our hopes on only to be dashed :D

41 minutes ago, Clipper said:

For those of us who gave up on Disco when do we get the Captain Pike show to hang our hopes on only to be dashed :D

Filming starts next month, according to Wikipedia, so maybe late this year at the earliest? There's no official word yet.

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

i dont watch it since "that incident" but I read up on what caused the Burn...

[

Hide contents

It is a very Roddenberry and a very TNG outcome but the execution sounds woeful..

Reminds me of the TNG episode Survivors with Kevin and Rishon and his killing of an entire species, the Husnock, with a single thought.

The most amusing part though is that TNG did it in one episode with some great performances and it felt like a momentus thing that was contained in a 45 minute episode... Discovery has to take a whole season and amp everything UP TO THE MAX...

it shows how they fundamentally misunderstand Trek even if they can seemingly come up with a "Roddenberry Trek" solution/idea.

Also interesting that it wasn't the finale meaning they can't even stick to their own plan.

To scale it back they should have had the Burn affect a massive area of the Federation. An area that contained the headquarters and the founding members. Have the Klingon and Romulan civilizations  unable to enter the area for fear of losing ships. Discovery turns up. Can spore jump into where the Kelpian kid is because it doesn't need warp. 

Hang that around Roddenbury's Star Trek Bible. With the areas unaffected by the Burn becoming a bit lawless to allow a little bit of play with the Roddenbury ideals. 

I managed to write this in the bath with one hand. CBS should definitely hire me.