Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

People seem to absolutely love it though. I've seen loads of posts on Twitter (from people who genuinely don't otherwise appear to be mad) absolutely praising S3 to the skies. It's been described as the best Star Trek series ever, the best crew, amazingly emotional... I can't go on.

It genuinely only seems to be this thread on RLLMUK that recognises it as the absolute drivel it clearly is.

IMDB reviews seem pretty damning too:

"Not Star Trek. Too much crying"

"Cancel the series. Now."
"Absolutely idiotic just terminate the show and bury it deep into the Delta Quadrant"

"This whole season was all over the place!"

"Put it out of its misery"

"Let's fly? Let's not"

Those are all from the most recent page for the last episode, although the overall score for it is 6.5.

In my office, I have one colleague who also thinks it's rubbish, while another seems to really like it.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

People seem to absolutely love it though. I've seen loads of posts on Twitter (from people who genuinely don't otherwise appear to be mad) absolutely praising S3 to the skies. It's been described as the best Star Trek series ever, the best crew, amazingly emotional... I can't go on.

It genuinely only seems to be this thread on RLLMUK that recognises it as the absolute drivel it clearly is.

People are easily swayed by high class visuals and high production values.

30 minutes ago, GC Zombie said:

So why do people like Discovery?

It's vaguely Star Trek-y and I like some of the characters. That's about as deep as it goes.

Speaking for myself, in the middle of all this shit it gave me something to look forward to every week, even if its entertainment value was pretty slight. Under different circumstances I don't know if I'd have carried on watching past season 2.

It is, at least, better than Picard, which was so, so poor that there's no way I'll be back for a second run, pandemic desperation or no.

9 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's been described as the best Star Trek series ever, the best crew, amazingly emotional... I can't go on.

We’ve talked about this before, but three seasons in, and I genuinely still don’t know any of the Bridge crew’s names except for Saru and Burnham. I can add Tilly and Stamets to the total list of crew members I can remember the names of. I just had to check Detmer’s name by typing ‘metal face woman in Discovery’ into Google.

A huge failing of the show - have a massive cast, but then don’t make it a proper ensemble piece. The writing would still be bobbins, but at least you might actually care about some of the characters then.

15 minutes ago, Jammy said:

We’ve talked about this before, but three seasons in, and I genuinely still don’t know any of the Bridge crew’s names except for Saru and Burnham. I can add Tilly and Stamets to the total list of crew members I can remember the names of. I just had to check Detmer’s name by typing ‘metal face woman in Discovery’ into Google.

A huge failing of the show - have a massive cast, but then don’t make it a proper ensemble piece. The writing would still be bobbins, but at least you might actually care about some of the characters then.

What do you mean? Black-lass-at-helm-who-can-hold-her-breath-for-ten-minutes has had some amazing character work. She's always exchanging tension-filled glances with metal-eyed-woman. And she can hold her breath for ten minutes! What more do you need to know.

26 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

What do you mean? Black-lass-at-helm-who-can-hold-her-breath-for-ten-minutes has had some amazing character work. She's always exchanging tension-filled glances with metal-eyed-woman. And she can hold her breath for ten minutes! What more do you need to know.

:lol:

I actually did a search for the crew’s names, and was going through them thinking “Nope, not heard that one” for most of them. It’s daft, because of course this would be the case, but I hadn’t even processed that Tilly isn’t actually her first name. Sylvia, in case you were wondering.

You weren’t wondering.

This shit never happened with DS9 or TNG, or even Voyager. I only watched a couple of seasons of Enterprise when it first came out and I can still remember a lot of the character names.

As much as I like the actor, I'm not really sure what the point of the inclusion of the wheelchair actor is. He doesn't serve a useful point to the plot, and if he is lined up to replace someone it has to be Stamets, Tilly or Adira.

On 09/01/2021 at 13:40, Gambit said:

I'm genuinely shocked that the cause of the BURN wasn't BURNham.

But how did the ship crash into dilithium planet in the first place, eh?

Burnham.

19 hours ago, drmick said:

As much as I like the actor, I'm not really sure what the point of the inclusion of the wheelchair actor is. He doesn't serve a useful point to the plot, and if he is lined up to replace someone it has to be Stamets, Tilly or Adira.

The actual actor has ALS. He used to play a Klingon.

22 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Imagine having Tig Notaro in your show and basically forgetting about it most of the time.

This is the biggest crime Discover is guilty of. SHE IS A QUEEN

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

It's literally staggering they have nothing for her to do. Awful writers.

I mean to be fair she might have only wanted to be in a limited number of episodes. That's fine but she was in enough for them to have given her something real to do. The fucking clods.

(darts into the disco thread)

She is literally the only thing good in Disco*

(darts out again - that fucking Vulcan episode finished me off "Spock probably turned out this way cos of you crying lady - fucking hell")

* ok yes Doug Jones is great.

On 11/01/2021 at 18:08, readonly said:

It is, at least, better than Picard, which was so, so poor that there's no way I'll be back for a second run, pandemic desperation or no.

(back again dont mind me)

Nope

I could take Picard and edit the whole series down to make a decent two parter out of it as a coda to TNG - Picard suffering Irumodic syndrome babbles about stuff and gets told off for Hubris and then visits Troy and Riker for pizza and Data is finally laid to rest...  Admittedly it wouldn't be too different to All Good Things told from another standpoint.

I couldn't edit a single episode out of 3 seasons on Disco.

3 minutes ago, Clipper said:

(back again dont mind me)

Nope

I could take Picard and edit the whole series down to make a decent two parter out of it as a coda to TNG - Picard suffering Irumodic syndrome babbles about stuff and gets told off for Hubris and then visits Troy and Riker for pizza and Data is finally laid to rest...  Admittedly it wouldn't be too different to All Good Things told from another standpoint.

I couldn't edit a single episode out of 3 seasons on Disco.

"I can edit 10 episodes down to 1 by removing the entire plot and all the new characters" is hardly a glowing review, though.

9 minutes ago, readonly said:

"I can edit 10 episodes down to 1 by removing the entire plot and all the new characters" is hardly a glowing review, though.

did i SAY it was glowing :D

I just said it was better than Disco :D

I think I enjoyed the episode of Picard which featured Troi and Riker more than any episode of Discovery I can remember.

That’s probably a damning indictment of both of the new shows actually, in many contexts, but especially the character development. Can you imagine a Star Trek show in 2040 where Burnham makes a guest appearance and you’re delighted ? Saru maybe...

5 minutes ago, Jammy said:

I think I enjoyed the episode of Picard which featured Troi and Riker more than any episode of Discovery I can remember.

That’s probably a damning indictment of both of the new shows actually, in many contexts, but especially the character development. Can you imagine a Star Trek show in 2040 where Burnham makes a guest appearance and you’re delighted ? Saru maybe...

I dunno... maybe if they did  a new version of the Voyager episode Coda it might be fun to watch and watch and watch and watch

EDIT

Spoiler

Ok I will admit to googling that episode name! I recall when watching Voyager, and disliking most of the cast, I really enjoyed the episode where we just saw them die over and over again in a loop :D

Just watched the finale. Why does every single sodding moment have to be so melodramatic? To repeat what others have said, I don't give a shit about any of them. That one bit where they were all dying through lack of oxygen just got the biggest partridgeshrug.gif from me.

I wanted the green lady to totally smash Burnham's face in and win.