Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

How many minutes in S4 Ep1 will we be before Burnham is crying, doubting whether she belongs in the Federation again? I reckon five.

Then she'll break every Federation law, risk everyone selfishly, and somehow rediscover her love of Starfleet through these actions.

16 hours ago, GwiDan said:

You’d at least want to give them some competency tests in current technology and geopolitics wouldn’t you. 

To be fair, the Admiral bloke did slip in that the Romulans had reunified with the Vulcans literally five minutes before Discovery went off to do some key diplomacy - what more do you need ?

Theres a LOT of rumours out there that this has been shitcanned, with lots of reshoots in S3 that didnt include any future story threads. This is fueled even futher by the warp into the sunset, the classic music and the Roddenberry quote at the end. even as far as the Actors guild or whoever it is, removing entries for Discovery from their future involvement while keeping the Strange New Worlds or whatever it is fully on there.

6 minutes ago, Nicky said:

Theres a LOT of rumours out there that this has been shitcanned, with lots of reshoots in S3 that didnt include any future story threads. This is fueled even futher by the warp into the sunset, the classic music and the Roddenberry quote at the end. even as far as the Actors guild or whoever it is, removing entries for Discovery from their future involvement while keeping the Strange New Worlds or whatever it is fully on there.

Where have these been circulating? All I can see is stuff about it being renewed for a fourth series.

1 minute ago, jcafarley said:

Where have these been circulating? All I can see is stuff about it being renewed for a fourth series.

via a few of the largeish youtube star trek discovery reviewers. The horrible HeelvsBabyface among them of which i can remember. But something being renewed and "pre production" is worlds apart from something actually being filmed and being in production

2 hours ago, Nicky said:

This is fueled even futher by the warp into the sunset, the classic music and the Roddenberry quote at the end.

I think the classic music played at the end of season 2 as well. I assumed it was Disco's thing.

I'll be sad if it is cancelled. It's been one of the few TV shows that different generations of my family have been able to watch and discuss during the past few years. 

14 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

I think the classic music played at the end of season 2 as well. I assumed it was Disco's thing.

I'll be sad if it is cancelled. It's been one of the few TV shows that different generations of my family have been able to watch and discuss during the past few years. 

I'll be ecstatic.

3 hours ago, Nicky said:

I'll be sorry if it goes, because while a lot of it has been absolutely terrible, it has had flashes of potential and somewhere here buried very deep there is the possibility of a decent Star Trek show. I'd like it to figure out what works and what doesn't, and - well - be better. TNG and even Enterprise managed to turn it around after two seasons, maybe Discovery could do it after three.

But with the departure of Michelle Yeoh, and Doug Jones out of makeup for the whole of the last stretch, I did wonder if something was up. And that odd plot with the musical notes definitely feels like it was lost in the edit somewhere. 

48 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

What age ranges, as I could never see Discovery being in the 6pm BBC2 slot? It wasn’t as gratuitous as Picard but there’s bits you wouldn’t want youngsters seeing. 

20 hours ago, DonRumsfeld said:

What age ranges, as I could never see Discovery being in the 6pm BBC2 slot? It wasn’t as gratuitous as Picard but there’s bits you wouldn’t want youngsters seeing. 

The youngest is 12 and the oldest is 70-ish (and to clarify, we're not watching it in the same house at the same time). There's an episode guide somewhere that gives time codes for segments that may be frightening or inappropriate for younger audiences and offers suggestions to mute/skip forward.

It's off topic, but I looked up the UK broadcast time for Enterprise. I was surprised to find Channel 4 aired the early episodes on Sundays at 6.30pm. I thought it would be later, given those cringe-worthy decontamination scenes.

As far as I'm aware they're actually shooting season 4 now.

How long Discovery lasts will depend on the length of the contract Netflix signed would be my guess. Apparently CBS got a ridiculously good deal out of them where Netflix are essentially covering the entire cost of production for international distribution rights,

13 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

TNG and even Enterprise managed to turn it around after two seasons, maybe Discovery could do it after three.

TNG and Enterprise were good shows that ironed out their flaws after a couple of seasons.

Discovery is utter fucking dogshit. There's no saving it.

13 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

But with the departure of Michelle Yeoh

Straight into her Section 31 spin-off.<_<

There's always a chance that Discovery could transform into something good after three seasons. Why not? It's highly, highly unlikely though unless they completely replace the production team.

Oh no, they're not still doing the Section 31 show are they? I thought they'd shelved that in favour of the Captain Pike show.

Section 31 has the two worst characters in the whole of Star Trek (beardy fake Klingon dude, and Space Hitler) and was responsible for all the worst bits of the worst season of Discovery. It's going to be a flaming wreck before the opening credits have even rolled.

32 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Straight into her Section 31 spin-off.<_<

There's always a chance that Discovery could transform into something good after three seasons. Why not? It's highly, highly unlikely though unless they completely replace the production team.

Yes. This is where the TNG comparison is so flawed. Season 1 and 2 of TNG weren't bad at all. The production values just got better from season 3 onwards and the scripts got more consistent. Discovery would need a complete change of characters, writers and producers. I can't help thinking the only reason Lorca and Pike stood out in their seasons is because they were decent actors. Saru aside the rest of them are dreadful.

I think only a couple of episodes were reworked from Phase II. I think the issue was more that it took them a while to decide exactly what TNG was going to be, with only TOS and the movies to draw on for inspiration and characters still being developed.

I am currently rewatching TNG and have reached the end of S4. Season 1 and 2 are not great but if you sat me down and gave me the choice I'd watch them instead of Disco.

Hell I'd watch Enterprise S1 and 2 above Disco!

I might even grit my teeth and suffer Voyager instead of it - ok that might be going too far as I really did bounce off Voyager hard - never finished watching it can't even recall how far I got.

9 hours ago, Harsin said:

As far as I'm aware they're actually shooting season 4 now.

How long Discovery lasts will depend on the length of the contract Netflix signed would be my guess. Apparently CBS got a ridiculously good deal out of them where Netflix are essentially covering the entire cost of production for international distribution rights,

they're in pre production but nowhere near filming. also netflix is done. they're finished with discovery.

6 hours ago, Death's Head said:

Weren't a lot of early TNG episodes based on recycled Phase 2 scripts? I imagine when those ran out they were able to forge their own identity a bit more. 

"The Child", which opens TNG season 2, is the only recycled script from Phase 2, and that was only because there was a writers' strike on. They needed something that was already finished that didn't need much work to get into production.

There's good stuff in TNG series 1, and series 2 is even better, but it's obvious that it's still far from cooked. I think the arrival of Michael Piller as head writer for season 3 is the moment the show really becomes the TNG we know and love. Piller's main aim was to have episodes that were about the characters, and that the stories should be built around them. And it worked, brilliantly.

If Discovery could learn that lesson, it could improve significantly. It just takes good writing. Right now, although I find it passable, we're three years in and I still can't remember the names of any secondary members of the bridge crew.

I’m not sure you can really save Discovery without essentially changing its whole setup. It’s currently the Michael show. Which is a shit idea and so so far from the basic Star Trek template. For me they have to go back and build a core crew we focus on. Episodes picking out one or a small number of members. As it stands it’s not Trek to me.

It also needs for a lot less to appear to happen. By that I mean that in reality fuck all actually happens in an average Discovery episode but it spends all its run time showing this. There’s no time for the mess hall. Or holodecks. Or any of the non-core episode story character/crew building. The main episode story should be no more than 2/3rds of the episode and then let.

Finally, it’s too complicated. Trek’s story of the week formula used really very simple setups, progressions and resolutions. In Discovery I can hardly follow what is going on most of the time. It’s story is ‘noisy’ for won’t of a better word and I end up disengaged.

Of course none of the above would need changing if it was good at what it was shooting for. But it’s not very clear what that was and it’s shit.

45 minutes ago, layten said:

TNG series 3 gave us the likes of 'The Best of Both Worlds', 'Yesterday's Enterprise' and 'Sarek'. After 3 series of Discovery...?

Unification III :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by GwiDan
got the name wrong in my outrage