Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

11 hours ago, OneDvBmbr said:

Absolutely typical that this is the one thing not delayed by COVID-19. 

Have we not suffered enough?

It’s been delayed, we had a trailer for it 9 months ago. I think everyone was expecting it to air immediately after Star Trek: Picard.

45 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’d have preferred a delay to the year in which it’s going to be set. 

You could, you know just now watch it.  Not really bothered with Discovery after the first couple of episodes.  Worth a watch or not? 

6 hours ago, davidcotton said:

You could, you know just now watch it.  Not really bothered with Discovery after the first couple of episodes.  Worth a watch or not? 

Nope, unless you want to watch it purely to appreciate what televisual agony it actually is.

TBH, I’d have to admit at this point I’d rather have no Trek than really embarrassingly bad Trek. I couldn’t even bring myself to even start watching Picard. :seanr:

I'm looking forward to seeing what a Star Trek show looks like in a time period so far away from the ones we know.

Like the technology difference? Has some disaster happened to regress things a bit? Because a few hundred years previously the Federation were time travelling like motherfuckers.

1 hour ago, Flub said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what a Star Trek show looks like in a time period so far away from the ones we know.

This ain't a Star Trek show.

Like the technology difference? Has some disaster happened to regress things a bit? Because a few hundred years previously the Federation were time travelling like motherfuckers.

This will not matter to Kurtzman.

7 hours ago, Flub said:

Here's what'll happen: technology will have become super super super shit, due to loads of wars and things (even though that generally makes technology improve and stuff but this is KurtzTrek) so that a ship from the 23rd century can be super powerful.

Also, Burnham will cry. She might laugh once or twice. You know, for the trailers. Then she will become the founder of Federation 2: Electric Borgaloo.

12 hours ago, Flub said:

Andromeda has already done this. 

I look forward to the twist where’s it revealed it isn’t the future, it’s the past, and MICHAEL BURNHAM put Khan on Botany Bay, gave Cochrane the idea for warp drive, invited the Vulcans to make first contact and was Archer’s Beagle in disguise. 

• 1 month later...

s2 ep 9 (afer a long break) - it's just hilariously shit isn't it

one and a half seasons of robot lady with no backstory then we compress it all into a 2 mins intro and then do THAT? bahahahaha hilariously bollocks. You earn this stuff you don't just drop it in 1 episode having ignored the character for so long. Next week the 1 blue eyed lady turns out to be BORG after finding out she loved puppies in a pre-credit roll of shite.

Really really clunky duologues with Pike and Admiral as well as Burnham and Spock . Just terrible terrible writing in this episode from top to bottom. It is like every worst star trek episode ever written compressed into one gloriously awful whole. the S31 bridge scenes were embarrasing - the Spoke Burnham chess thing utterly ludicrous.

The signposting with red eye was rubbish and the trip to the station was poorly realised. I got a smile and a chuckle from burnham's two handed Kirk-esque smack to the head but that was it.

All the stuff in the last few mins would've carried massive weight and been meaningful IF we had made that character mean anything and built them up - but they didn't so errrrrrrr pfft we all shrug.

Oh and then the ultimate "everything is because of YOU" moment - ffs the antithesis of Star Trek and every criticism of discovery distilled into one sentence. BURNHAM!!!!!

Drivel, utter drivel.At this point I hope the red angel kills all of them.

Yes I know I am way behind the curve and you all know this but I love star trek to I can't help it :D

s2 e10 - BRUNHAM BURNHAM BURNHAM BURNHAM ( I think that was the episode title)

The Memorial is hilarious in trying to make you feel sad about a character they didn't bother to flesh out at all. TOS may as well have had a 5 minute memorial for red shirt who dies to a salt monster while Spock sang one of his hits.

Back to the episode... the spock monologue is quite funny and almost steps out to punch the 4th wall and scream "It is fucking ridiculous that everything is about BURNHAM"

S31 arrive with gruff man and mirror-yeoh - my heart sinks. I see mirror-yeoh has gotten a studded leather tailor to remind us she is EVIL MIRROR - old trek would be proud of such daft signposting

It's MEEEEEE it's all about MEEEEE the plot screams at us - more seriously this plot has parallels with Time Squared so it could be clever and subtle so let's keep minds Open shall we

Oh well that openness didn't last! We get exposition from our engineers to explain that the red angel, formerly a mysterious ethereal being - who knows what it might represent, maybe it is like the 2001 monolith ... NOPE it is a burnham plotline!

And now we get a decent scene between Saru and S31 gruff captain. It's rumbling long it isn't THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS but yknow its making progress. Then the door opens and its fucking BURNHAM - "Heyyyyy I heard you were talking about me - Saru fuck off I need to talk aobut me some more with S31 gruff man - MEMEMEMEME".

A Time Crystal? I mean it's technobabble taken to the extreme... don't bother slingshotting the sun or Chroniton particles just get a time crystal down the Klingon market!

My absolute favourite WTF moment was The hardnosed Admiral who is all about getting the job done and grrr "get on with it PIKE" is now Troi and giving therapy sessions? This feels like the scriptwriters wrote characters/motivations and ideas onto pieces of paper stuck them in a bag and pulled the ideas at random. Admiral hardass - gives therapy to? - recently dead doctor. FFS!

Then onto Spock/Burnham - This was something they built up over the season(s) and it is just a damp squib - another heart to heart with no heart. And then another ITS ABOUT BURNHAM.

If we are going to catch the red angel we have to let me die? DO ITTTTTTTTTTT.  As the scene continues and makes it all serious I realise I cared more about robot lady :D 

And then - welllll - that ---- reveal ... that was on a par with Beverly Crusher shagging her grans gardener from beyond the grave!

Was Discovery just building towards Burnham as some sort of answer to all of Star Trek. The series will end with a montage of her in TOS sending the Botany bay on its way, then in VOY doing and oopise and causing it to catapult it far away, then DS9 she chats to the prophets and tells them to make Sisko special, then lands in a bar and goads two Nausicaans to stab that near baldy ensign in the chest before finally causing a time distortion that causes Dr Mcoy to go to the past and fuckup the timeline of Joan collins!

Oh and I wrongly thought there were 10 episodes in S2 so had a song in my heart as it stumbled to a conclusion - then that reveal  - then realised there were 4 more to watch.

I'm sad now and need another break!