Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham

6 minutes ago, Papaya Dance said:

Are you all mad in the head? I'm 25 minutes in and it's just as dreadful as ever. The only blessed relief is we've not seen BURNHAM yet. I'm guessing that's why it feels like it's a better episode.

It's orders of magnitude better than last week's episode. I know, I know. A very low bar.

Yeah, it was a lot better than ep 1 and the ending showed why.

It was still very, very poor though. 

Spoiler

The alien guy died a needlessly horrible death from that phaser blast. Yeoh takes FOUR hits from it and still does AWESOME KUNG FU, then does a one-shot-no-look-kill.

The bare bones of a half decent trek episode were in there but I can't even bring myself to list every point where it fell down because there were so damn many.

Burnham's fucking face was the very worst bit, mind.

28 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

When I posted this 18 months ago I could not have predicted the true horror of S3 Tilly, who is practically spherical and made almost entirely of chins. 

Yes, how dare a woman not be the perfect Hollywood stick insect? There's no need for this bodyshaming shit.

5 minutes ago, readonly said:

Yes, how dare a woman not be the perfect Hollywood stick insect? There's no need for this bodyshaming shit.

There's not and you're absolutely right, but there is an argument to say that in a utopian starfleet future obesity would have been eradicated.

But of all the things to beat this show with a stick about, one of the actresses being chubby isn't high on my list.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

When I posted this 18 months ago I could not have predicted the true horror of S3 Tilly, who is practically spherical and made almost entirely of chins. 

That's really mean to be honest. Do you have to mock the woman for her physical appearance?

9 hours ago, Flub said:

That's really mean to be honest. Do you have to mock the woman for her physical appearance?

It is mean although I did laugh at it. 

The problem with Tilly is that for so many reasons she really shouldn't be in Star Fleet as she's just bumbling and shit. I'd much rather see some of the other bridge crew fleshed out than spend so much time on Tilly. 

If Philippa Georgiou had been around when Weyoun first turned up, the Dominion war may never had happened. 

What a bad ass! :hmm:

(Have I missed something about her being genetically modified like Bashir? As that would have been a great way to explain her Khan style toughness)

2 hours ago, Barnard said:

If Philippa Georgiou had been around when Weyoun first turned up, the Dominion war may never had happened. 

What a bad ass! :hmm:

(Have I missed something about her being genetically modified like Bashir? As that would have been a great way to explain her Khan style toughness)

Nothing, other than the fact she is from the Mirror Universe.

I did enjoy this episode and feeling a little bit more optimistic about this series as a whole. Still not proper Trek though, I like to think it is occurring in its own parallel universe.

Hmm, okay, actually quite a strong opening sting. The camera could calm the fuck down as usual and I still want to vom, but it turns out removing Burnham is an instant improvement.

Spoiler

Oh great Burnham is still the most important thing on everyone's minds, despite someone with a very real injury just getting waved off. BUT I actually really like how Saru basically tells everyone to shut up about Burnham and do their fucking jobs.

I don't care what anyone says about the rest of the show, but Saru is a genuinely enjoyable creation. Just the way he walks is just a lovely little bit of characterisation. Yes I said something good about the show, I'll call Dignitas shortly.

Spoiler

The whole saloon thing seemed pretty on the nose, but hey, they're probably jealous they're not writing for The Mandalorian.

... Only then they double down and have the baddies be space cowboys wearing actual spurs :lol:

Spoiler

Michelle Yeoh knows Kung Fu, so of course there has to be another bloody fight where loads of people get killed. Of course the saving grace is Saru objecting, but "this is not who we are" is a bit rich when he just, I assume, killed a few people. I think space Hitler's only purpose on the show going forward is going to be to do all the nasty shit that "Starfleet" wouldn't normally do to get out of any situations that the writers can't work out how to solve without violence and killing, because they're not good enough to write actual Star Trek.

From a critical perspective, taken as just a dumb sci fi show, that episode actually wasn't bad. There's an important difference between something being actually bad, rather than just silly guff. 

Bad writing, structural and logical problems, leaps of internal logic and non sensical character interactions plagued the second season, hence why it was one of the worst written things to ever grace televisions. And the first episode of Season 3 felt like an extension of that.

But this episode, silliness aside, is not actually glaringly bad from a structural or screenwriting perspective. So considering its the same writers I can only assume they took a few classes or something before writing this episode, as it's at least fairly workmanlike in execution so, for once, amazingly, it is an episode of Star Trek Discovery that isn't objectively bad.

The main downside is it is just a series of problems for the characters to overcome. There isn't actually any character development or progression in most of the scenes. It's a nothingness with some shiny and some cheap sets.

Spoiler

Like the Denver thing. What was that about? Does she have PTSD? The episode took ages suggesting to us something was very wrong but then just... Nothing. She's back to normal.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

The main downside is it is just a series of problems for the characters to overcome. There isn't actually any character development or progression in most of the scenes. It's a nothingness with some shiny and some cheap sets.

Hide contents

Like the Denver thing. What was that about? Does she have PTSD? The episode took ages suggesting to us something was very wrong but then just... Nothing. She's back to normal.

I'm assuming you mean Detmer? 

Spoiler

I personally think there might be something of the old Control there somewhere inside her head somehow. Either way they played far too heavy on something being up with her the whole episode for it to be brushed under the carpet at the end.

Hey as long as she doesn't end up like full Cyborg lady (Atram?) and actually becomes a fleshed out part of the cast!

4 hours ago, Benny said:

I was just going to say that this episode reminded me very strongly of Lost in Space (the new one). Now that's a great series but it's shallow as a puddle and it's just as you say, a new problem each time that you know the characters will overcome by the end of the episode. I guess you could say the same about traditional, episodic Star Trek though? There was something about this episode's Wild West saloon that felt comfortingly familiar, like they were circling around the edges of something that might actually work for the show.

I known it's nerdy but it really annoys me that they've jumped forward 900 years and the USS Discovery should be the technological equivalent of a wooden sailing ship yet all of their technology seems quite compatible with the current era (they can repair their technology, they can communicate on video feeds etc). The 'great burn' only happened 100 years ago, so they still had 800 years of normal tech development.. i.e. the year 1220 compared to current technology.

Sorry, nerdy, but it annoys me.

• Commander Jameson changed the title to Star Trek Discovery - S3 streaming now - Everything Was Burnham