rllmuk
LaParka

Pokemon TCG

Right, done it. Diamond and Pearl trainer kit for now (water/fighting) then ultra prism theme decks for his birthday plus a Groudon EX single, Charizard coin and some dice. 

Update: got my son the Mach Strike theme deck for his sixth birthday along with some dice 

I took his to the Southampton Pokemon league yesterday to play some friendlies. 

• Upvote 1

He really enjoyed it. Played one game against me, one against another six year old, and two against other adults. 

Some very competetive decks there,  some people played kindly (but not too kindly) and some didn’t. 

Is anyone still playing? Been getting into TCGO in the last few weeks and found myself starting quite the collection of cards. Would be awesome if others on here fancied trading swaps? 

Playing but physical only. Bought 12 x Gaurdians Rising boosters each with a 60 card folder at £1.75 each and pulled full art Tapu Lele GX and Lycanroc GX. 

Doing a few mods to the boys deck then will try him on the competition in October. 

On 29/07/2018 at 11:59, CovisGod said:

Is anyone still playing?

Yeah, my wife and kids are kind of obsessed with Pokemon, and TCG is one outlet. I have two decks, one I built myself and one I bought. I've only lost twice with the deck I bought, which is a Guardians Rising built around Solgaleo. I fancy it's almost comically overpowered compared to all the others we have (I think we have a dozen or so pre-built decks, and a depressing number of booster packs). Honestly, I've never been beaten in a straight up battle, the two or three times I've lost with it it's because I ran out of basic pokemon, so lost by default. It's essentially the benchmark for testing decks in our house, like "yeah but can it beat daddy's deck?"

I'm quite happy with my custom deck, though. I went with the same ratio of trainer/energy/pokemon as my Solgaleo deck, just to have something to aim for. Something like 16 energy, 24 pokemon, and the rest trainers. Playing this Solgaleo deck taught me it's all about the trainers, as there are loads that let you rifle through the deck to get him evolved as quickly as possible, and also to mitigate damage. Then, every other go, you're doing 170 attack. My custom deck (is there an easy way for me to build it online and list it here?) is all green energy and built around beedrill and his swarm move. It's crap though, and I barely get to use it even with 3 of him in the deck. However, only worrying about 1 energy type is excellent, so it's loads of other green guys plus neutrals. One is Snorlax, my favourite pokemon. The other is Lugia. God damn, I'd be screwed without Lugia. Wife and kids have bought so many of those EX and GX sets that they've all got multiple EX cards per custom deck. Lugia has a move of 60 damage + 60 if attacking an EX. 

I recently rebuilt my son's deck. He basically had 60 pokemon, and could barely use any because of the lack of energy. So we stripped most of them out, added trainers, energy (lightning only), and pokemon in the same ratio, and then focused his deck around his Pikachu GX and a shiny Raichu. The Raichu is particularly good. It has a big second attack which sheds all 3 energy, but then his primary attack causes him to gain an energy from the discard pile. Once my lad got that concept, he was away to the races. It's actually competitive against the one I built. 

Here's what I have for the boy to try at pokemon club tomorrow (no league as they have championship and I wasn't organised enough)

2 Lucario (UPR-67)

1 Gabite (FLI-61)

1 Gabite (UPR-98)

2 Rockruff (GRI-73)

1 Lycanroc GX (GRI-138)

1 Lucario GX (PR-SM100)

1 Tapu Lele GX (GRI-137)

1 Diancie ♢ (FLI-74)

1 Buzzwole (FLI-77)

2 Riolu (UPR-66)

3 Gible (FLI-60)

2 Garchomp (FLI-62)

4 Cynthia

1 Energy Recycler

2 Enhanced Hammer

2 Guzma

1 Super Rod

2 Field Blower

4 Ultra Ball

2 Evosoda

3 Choice Band

3 Brooklet Hill

2 Professor Kukui

2 Pal Pad

2 Strong Energy - Special

2 Double Colorless Energy - Special

10 Fighting Energy - Basic

It's expanded because of the super rod, strong energy and evosoda. Might need to work a standard deck if I'm going to put him in the competitions.

You've got a lot of things in there that need to evolve which might scupper you if you face anything that can attack on the first turn.

Is Rare Candy still legal in Standard? That was my preferred way of evolving, would usually play 4-1-4 of each stage and it was usually pretty consistent.

Does anybody here collect PSA graded cards? Really got into it recently and was wondering whether anybody had some nice collections to show off!

Recently opened up a YouTube channel for Pokemon Cards. I open Pokemon Cards, it's exactly how it sounds haha.

I've just started to get into learning how to play the actual game but it's taking me a bit longer than I was expecting it too. Need to find some people in my local area who actually play it as I don't think I'm going to be able to persuade me girlfriend. ;)

• Upvote 2

Taking the boy to the Unified Minds prerelease tomorrow. 30 mins to build a 2/3 deck then 3 Swiss round competition. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, timdp said:

Taking the boy to the Unified Minds prerelease tomorrow. 30 mins to build a 2/3 deck then 3 Swiss round competition. 

Good luck! I've not played a Pokémon one but TCG prereleases are some of my favourite events because everyone is so excited to open the new stuff!

I am destined to get into this, due to my gf’s daughter. She’s 6 and is now reading pretty confidently, and likes Pokemon, so it’s only a matter of time.

My normal “getting into a TCG” approach is to buy a starter set and then spend a reasonable amount on buying a collection in a job lot from eBay. She’ll want to buy boosters too, but they’re less depressing when you’ve got a decent amount of game already, generally.

I’ve not looked into it at all really...Will that work here? What happens with sets of different ages and such? 

(Her birthday is in December, so I’m thinking something for that and Christmas.)

@strawdonkey will have a more thorough answer but for starters just get one of the Vs packs or a theme deck each. At that age chasing rates and deck building won't be any kind of priority. 

What else you could do is get the Pokémon tcg app on a tablet or pc and let her play on that, it's free and you don't have to buy anything to just play against the ai.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

@strawdonkey will have a more thorough answer but for starters just get one of the Vs packs or a theme deck each. At that age chasing rates and deck building won't be any kind of priority. 

What else you could do is get the Pokémon tcg app on a tablet or pc and let her play on that, it's free and you don't have to buy anything to just play against the ai.

Taaa, I’ll give that a look myself anyway. Then probably get Lauren to do the same.

• Upvote 1

Theme decks are a little crappy because they're quite different to the ideal way to play - they contain lots of Pokémon and lots of energy, whereas a "real" deck will contain not a lot of either and lots of cards that do cool stuff instead.

The VS decks are usually pretty good for the money - they are a step ahead of the starter decks, balanced against each other a bit and they look like a nice gift too.

There are formats like in other TCGs - but for just playing for fun it literally doesn't matter. Just be prepared for a sudden financial hit if she decides she wants to start playing at a local shop/etc.

7 minutes ago, strawdonkey said:

Theme decks are a little crappy because they're quite different to the ideal way to play - they contain lots of Pokémon and lots of energy, whereas a "real" deck will contain not a lot of either and lots of cards that do cool stuff instead.

The VS decks are usually pretty good for the money - they are a step ahead of the starter decks, balanced against each other a bit and they look like a nice gift too.

There are formats like in other TCGs - but for just playing for fun it literally doesn't matter. Just be prepared for a sudden financial hit if she decides she wants to start playing at a local shop/etc.

Thanks, I’ll have a look.

What do you think about the buying a collection plan? Like, a genuine “selling up as our child has lost interest” kinda thing. Does age of sets matter much? 

I am aware that it could end up costing a small fortune, but I’m very much of the opinion that collecting things and playing games that are actually quite complicated is about as effective as any extra-curricular learning can be. So, worth it in my book. 

You can totally do it, but be aware that a lot of "my kid lost interest" collections are actually "I am a professional card vendor, here is a few thousand cards I can't sell individually because they are cack".

A mountain of cards is always brilliant and there are no issues with compatibility with old/new cards - just be aware that old cards are usually way less powerful/efficient than newer ones.

1 hour ago, strawdonkey said:

You can totally do it, but be aware that a lot of "my kid lost interest" collections are actually "I am a professional card vendor, here is a few thousand cards I can't sell individually because they are cack".

Which is why I’m starting now for December! We’ll see, but I’m pretty good at the eBays.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Also as we found out when I looked at my nephew's old collection piracy is rampant with Pokémon cards. I ought to see if he's binned them.

I have no idea how to avoid that, honestly. A quick glance on Wish shows just how cheap they are:

87D5BB1D-F34E-4EC3-B75B-E9DE5CE8AFAC.thumb.png.b3fd7979bcd0f279903875d0be8d48ed.png

And you get the awful combination of well-meaning grandparents and naive children with Pokemon. I honestly can’t see there being any collection without pirated cards in it, but I have no idea how to work out if it is 1% or 65% of a collection from a few eBay photos. 

Not good.

Just grab boosters now and again while you're out and about. Over time, they generally switch to the latest Pokemon (guessing they'll mostly be Sword and Shield come later this year). We've found that way that you slowly build up a good set of cards with which you can build your own decks. I've got a Sun and Moon prebuilt deck (Solgaleo) but I mostly use my custom one - that was initially built around Beedril swarming, but I've found it doesn't proc often enough, even with 3 of it in the deck, so I've slowly been moving to more Normal type cards as I've picked up decent ones over time. Kept the grass energy though, because my daughter gave me a Venesaur EX the other day (my first EX! she had a duplicate... kids are so spoiled). 

Now and then, we'll get an expensive EX/GX special set because we happen to like the Pokemon, like a Gyarados GX for my lad. They all go in a massive binder full of baseball card plastic pouches to keep them tidy.

We have more fun building decks these days, because it's interesting to see where it fails and try to make it more rounded. 

I'm going to completely avoid the likes of eBay etc. though, my hunch was they could be iffy and, reading up here, it sounds like they can be.

@Rev Are you looking at it being current, so they can play at schools or at locals etc or is it more to play at the house with family etc?

Also, by the dollars on your screen shot you look to be based in the states is that correct?

The reason i ask is that some gaming sites we use for miniatures over here occasionally have sealed booster boxes of the previous sets available for cheap.

Just now, The Eagle Lord said:

@Rev Are you looking at it being current, so they can play at schools or at locals etc or is it more to play at the house with family etc?

Also, by the dollars on your screen shot you look to be based in the states is that correct?

The reason i ask is that some gaming sites we use for miniatures over here occasionally have sealed booster boxes of the previous sets available for cheap.

No, I’m in the UK. Wish is just slightly cheaper in dollars than pounds, so I left it like that. 

I think I’m basically aiming for her to have a good amount of cards to learn the game and play properly at home to start with, and then she can start buying* current sets from boosters. I genuinely don’t know if she’d take to the idea of playing other people. She’s hard to predict like that, but she does get into games already. Uno is serious business. 

She would bloody love booster boxes though...

*As much as a 6 year old buys things themselves.

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/pokemon-c11/booster-boxes-pokemon-c12 some boxes have a saving of near £50.

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/pokemon-c1250/booster-pack-t1020#sort3 - This isn't as cheap but has pre-orders and also Japanese / Pokemon Organized Play.

https://www.hillscards.co.uk/sale - A few bits at various prices, but has cool things like the Pokemon Ball Tin i got for Christmas which has sealed boosters and a coin. 

https://www.titancards.co.uk/sealed-booster-packs - Has a staggering discount on packs, so the more you buy the cheaper they get per unit.

https://www.totalcards.net/brand/pokemon?product_list_order=price - Lots of single cards, Pre-Orders and extra stuff like online codes for Pokemon TCG Online and things like card dividers. 

https://www.koolkingdom.co.uk/acatalog/Secure_Shop_Booster_Boxes_181.html - Cheap boosters boxes again. £104 for the new set (36 packs of 10 cards.) 

https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Pokemon/Products/Boosters/Unified-Minds-Booster - Looks to show you values and where to buy from, kind of like the market place on Boardgame Geek. 

https://athenagames.com/collections/pokemon-booster-boxes - Couple of older booster boxes.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

https://www.chaoscards.co.uk/pokemon-c11/booster-boxes-pokemon-c12 some boxes have a saving of near £50.

https://www.magicmadhouse.co.uk/pokemon-c1250/booster-pack-t1020#sort3 - This isn't as cheap but has pre-orders and also Japanese / Pokemon Organized Play.

https://www.hillscards.co.uk/sale - A few bits at various prices, but has cool things like the Pokemon Ball Tin i got for Christmas which has sealed boosters and a coin. 

https://www.titancards.co.uk/sealed-booster-packs - Has a staggering discount on packs, so the more you buy the cheaper they get per unit.

https://www.totalcards.net/brand/pokemon?product_list_order=price - Lots of single cards, Pre-Orders and extra stuff like online codes for Pokemon TCG Online and things like card dividers. 

https://www.koolkingdom.co.uk/acatalog/Secure_Shop_Booster_Boxes_181.html - Cheap boosters boxes again. £104 for the new set (36 packs of 10 cards.) 

https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Pokemon/Products/Boosters/Unified-Minds-Booster - Looks to show you values and where to buy from, kind of like the market place on Boardgame Geek. 

https://athenagames.com/collections/pokemon-booster-boxes - Couple of older booster boxes.

I hate you.

(Thanks! Never heard of a few of those sites. I've bought a few bits from Chaos Cards over the last couple of years, but not from the rest. I'll have a proper look through.)

:) Your welcome!

Someone else will be able to help you with what's worth getting or not.

I get the occasional packet now and then as a gift usually, and then i use the code to put them into the online Pokemon TCG (which maybe  a good shout for her to learn to play plus keep track of her collection).

54 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

:) Your welcome!

Someone else will be able to help you with what's worth getting or not.

I get the occasional packet now and then as a gift usually, and then i use the code to put them into the online Pokemon TCG (which maybe  a good shout for her to learn to play plus keep track of her collection).

I installed it the other day after @moosegrinder mentioned it. I'll get good at it myself first, obviously. 

I got a couple of those cards the other day actually (in a pile of Match Attax cards that I bought from a charity shop, duh). I'll have to see whether they've been redeemed.