IGNORED

Pro Evolution Soccer 2017

SMD

Both football games last year had a lot of flaws but I enjoyed playing PES far more than FIFA, I'm hoping the resurgence of PES as a genuine contender raises the bar all round.

This is looking very nice in the trailers

As a single-player football gamer, I think PES 2016 was one of the best in the series thanks to maintaining that sweet feeling of satisfaction when a lovely move works out. That said, I won't be getting 2017 unless there are interesting changes to the Master League, such as customisation or a World Superleague format. Happy enough to continue with the older version if it's just going to be more of the same.

And especially if there are no option files on Xbox One.

Manually editing names was my big issue with 2016 (whereas I loved finding old kits people had made to create retro 3rd and 4th strips for teams) so that's sorted with the option file sharing. The other thing was that shooting was a little overpowered, a clear look at goal from a halfway decent angle and you were all but guaranteed a goal with a good player, I hope that's toned down a little with this one.

• 4 weeks later...

I barely touched My Club, can you play online, build a team and go against others?

I've generally played the game as I want whichever one in the series it is. It is wonderful to do long passing moves, a backheel through ball through a wall of defenders to a runner who was the first passer of the move. I play the occasional 800 player who uses Bayern and has his formation as tightly packed triangles, so he does a few one twos and he's behind you, if you decide to press as I always do. My passing moves are from the back, and use more players so i rarely am able to get in behind. I basically just move their defenders over one side and then slide it into space for the player to shoot from distance, him running on to it giving me an advantage with power, but with so many defenders in the way, or if I take a touch beforehand with them running onto it it'll be a heavy touch and I'll be intercepted. Once I lose it I'm in trouble, everyone just launches it wide and long to any fast player to cross it in. I get tired of every game being me enjoying passing it around to work an opening, losing it, and chasing. Lots and lots of chasing. With two/three at the back, and basically relying on my team to be compact in midfield and pressure them from all sides before they can do anything.

I think the last two have been the most frustrating online. No long replays, limited replay camera angles, few replay saves, not able to see what team the other player is picking is a big thing that is the easiest thing to change, and the most obvious. That would create so many better games of better matched teams. I have no idea what they spend all year doing. It's not like the early PS2 games where they were adding all kind of training modes.

I don't think it looks much different from pes 2016. I'll be disappointed yet again if they can't get Dortmund in there. Kind of bored of every team now. Mostly when I play online I just wonder if they're robots in disguise, kids, or really simple. I'd like more incentives to pick an average team. I'd like the option to go extra time, say you get to choose beforehand and if they agree you can, if they decline you don't. I'd like the option for longer games, I've had some great ones, end to end that I'm sad will end, especially when it's finally a decent player. So few players have the personalty to impose their own way of playing, the obsession with points means people play to score as easily as possible, they don't move around and search for openings, they literally repeat the same action over and over because it will eventually work. Sometimes i think; if you're so good do it with Stoke, i try to ! Also Japan are great. That lack of variety and flair in their play doesn't lead to unpredictable surprising moments, which is sort of the point. I've scored goals I've been amazed the player could score, on their weaker foot across goal, or bending it round. You want to play, try things out, do difficult one touch passing through eye of the needle gaps.

The obsession with long ball counter attacking wasn't there in PES 2010, mostly it was just Messi dribbling around your defence. I don't know how they correct it, it's all kinds of boring losing the ball, and going through that same process of it being launched and chasing, people bypassing the midfield entirely, and just breaking the point of the game. The decent players are never online.

Anyone want a game ? aehii

On 7/26/2016 at 22:35, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

the commentary was proper shit on 2016 though. it needs refining.

First thing you do on any football game is turn the commentary off, right?

If it's an option on TV, I'd be all for that too. 

Does option file sharing mean I won't have to manually edit all the team names and kits myself? I don't know how it all works I'm afraid, but certainly I can't be bothered spending another evening going through and doing it all myself. PES 2016 is a wonderful game to play (and that view is only reinforced having played FIFA 16 over the weekend with friends) but the lack of licences, or even the right team colours for a base, is still disappointing. 

Oh, and 10 save slots for goals? Fuck off. I had more than that saved on my Gamecube's memory card. More fouls would be nice too. I think I've had one penalty and never seen the CPU get sent off.

6 hours ago, d ebolenk said:

I barely touched My Club, can you play online, build a team and go against others?

I'll be disappointed yet again if they can't get Dortmund in there.

Yes, and Dortmund are in this game.

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I think it might mean that you can go in and just pick a team and say do this for this team all at once rather than individually selecting name, shirt, shorts, base colour etc. I don't think it's like the old days of just whacking in an option file and having it all done though.

I think it does mean a one option file transfer. Could be wrong though, I'll be getting it on Xbox One so won't even be able to take advantage of the option file transfer, for whatever reason they decide to leave that out.

On 19/08/2016 at 22:00, *chin* said:

Yes, and Dortmund are in this game.

Worth the price alone. ;)

Another thing I forgot to mention..more formation saves. 3 is a small amount. 

I don't personally care about team colours and names being correct. The teams not being updated with new signings is worse. I think pes 2012 is probably the one that aligns most with how I want to play the game, you couldn't generate power on a shot outside the box. In pes 2016, regardless of how I set up, defences are so easily exposed wide, its the go-to method of getting in behind that requires no build up play. They need to modify the defence and tighten them up. A full back should always be there, the defence should be compact. Goals aren't hard enough to score really. I can get battered 6-2 and then win 7-1. I never scored so many in previous games. Defenders are too easily outmuscled, out paced, out jumped. 

Oh so you are annoyed about the sharing of option files. That's a different thing. Spare a thought for us Xbox One owners who won't even have the option of an option file, nor logo editing. Slightly in their defence, 2K are a much bigger company than Konami and can probably afford the expense of the server infrastructure required. They are behind the times in these things though, even I am building a face scanner that can build people's from a 3D camera or image, don't see why more don't attempt this.

18 hours ago, *chin* said:

Oh so you are annoyed about the sharing of option files. That's a different thing. Spare a thought for us Xbox One owners who won't even have the option of an option file, nor logo editing. Slightly in their defence, 2K are a much bigger company than Konami and can probably afford the expense of the server infrastructure required. They are behind the times in these things though, even I am building a face scanner that can build people's from a 3D camera or image, don't see why more don't attempt this.

Saying Konami is behind the times is an understatement. I am not buying the series any more -it never improves on anything that I think is important- but I always check what is happening in the world of PES. We were good friends for many, many years in the past.

First and foremost is the AI. The teams play nothing like like real teams and cheating is heavily used on all levels. On the higher difficulties almost everyone becomes super human and teams that you are supposed to beat are playing like Barcelona or any other amazing team. AI teams have no variation on how they play. They use different tactics, yes, but they do not understand what they are doing. Many times, for example, you will see AI teams pressing for a goal when they are losing 5-0 or if a draw suits them. There are no changes of systems based on how teams play and improve or how they are doing through the year.

Midfield game does not exist. AI rarely builds up properly since it is always in counter attacking mode. It is very easy to go from one end to the other and that also applies to online matches many times.

Master League has not advanced as a mode enough. The AI for transfers and player advancement rarely makes sense (that is another area of the AI). Bugs and exploits which have existed for many years are still in one way or another. Keepers have been getting a remake every year since the PS2 days and they are almost never good. Online modes are a hit and miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Not much is happening against cheaters either.

And you still can't play 2 player co-op online in the various modes or against other player. in 2016. (if that has changed though, I take it back. :P)