Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch

tobert

On 19/03/2022 at 08:07, moosegrinder said:

Played this for the first time in probably years today. Just did Arcade Quick Play which I assume is just Quick Play without the role queues. Baptiste seemed like he'd be fun but doesn't really excel in healing or DPS. I've still got it as Mercy, mind.

Bap is very mch a healer, and I have no worries healing 18k in a single three round match. He's better than ANA IMO overall, but you need a decent ranged DMG and voice comms to really make his ult shine. Although he builds it so quickly I have zero ssues dropping it for myself to get in a few cheeky head shots or added healing. Also he is soooo much more manoeuvrable with ihs super jump.

His DMG isn't the best, but it's not supposed to be. It's more a pressure / pick off option as part of a team than anything else. And the rate of his healing allows a good bap player to drop healing and do dmg shots inbetween. And immortality field is the best non-ult ability in game. I will die on this hill.

The only time I wouldn't consider him is on certain sections of certain maps. I'm thinking when you're pushing up hill on say a few sections of Gibraltar. The reason being one of his selling points is if you miss with his healing grenades they hit the floor and you get splash healing. On uphill fights if you miss, you miss and that's it.

Also also, and I'm kicking myself I didn't save the replay, we got a sextuple kill the other day with a two-way ult drop - zarya, me on Bap, and then Rein threw his firestrike through the matrix. Only the second one I've ever seen.

Also some potential ability leaks:

Orisa sounds odd. Like she's like a ranged Doomfist.

Doomefist sounds annoying as hell to play against. Esp as some of the CC abilities (like flashbang) have been removed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2022 at 09:43, Mikes said:

Had my first rounds of comp today, and immediatly remembered why it was so infuriating. For every game where things just click you have to go through 7 of idiots, edgelords, people reufsing to use voice comms.

QUIT. I quit and started about a dozen times and every single return went from "why did I quit this, it's not soo bad" to "right, I remember now" within the span of a few evenings. I properly quit for a long while now, the thought of returning or buying OW2 fills me with anxiety. Like, I can feel myself already getting upset at other players (never over voice comm. though. I am not that kind of toxic prick).

Quit. It's not worth it.

I still enjoy it. To a bad degree. Literally, I had to uninstall it again because it was juts eating my time. But it can be frustrating, especially as a support main. if you bad a run of games and drop to bronze you're basically stuck there all season ecause you always just get paired with shitty tanks and DPS who, regardles sof how much they're healed, cna't kill shit.

I level much faster as DPS, despite not being nearly as good as I am at support, probably because I have more agency. It's just a shame the queue times for DPS can be stupid long.

Support main here as well - started with Mercy and Anna followed by Moira and Bap. Have hundreds of hours on Moria - started in High Gold -> reached Low Plat -> once fell all the way down to Bronze -> crawled back to Low Gold.

It's infuriating. I'm not going to sit here and claim I am the greatest and when I lose it's because of shitty randoms. But let's be real here, you lose very often due to shitty randoms. Expecting greatness for Gold is ridiculous but the ludicrous amount of unintelligent play in that bracket boggles the mind. As support I got blamed often for not healing a selfish DPS being nowhere near me, the team or the objective. I am all for aggressive DPS (Genji, Tracer etc) causing distractions and single targeting squishy opponents, but do look after yourself. Don't run away, die and blame me for not healing you. Charging-happy Reins are an issue as well. A charge can be great but it's dumb if you charge head first into 5 or 6 opponents expecting me to keep you alive. "Why am I not getting healed!" Mate, because I am dead and waiting for the respawn timer.

I swear some players just spam hail mary's hoping to make it into some silly YouTube compilation. Or - not sure what's worst - copying what they saw a streamer do or during OWL. After Winston got some good plays during OWL there were so many new Winstons in Ranked. 9 out of 10 were terrible, not understanding what made this particular character work for that particular OWL player.

I'm happy and relieved I gave up on this. It is (was?) a great game that I can not play, it's bad for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I know queue times are a nightmare but I had no other issue with 6v6. Apparently they think it will be easier to see what’s going on with less players, which I imagine is true but I don’t think 6v6 was particularly tricky in that respect. Well, not at my level anyway.

I played a hell of a lot of Overwatch over the years, but I've just looked at beta footage of this new one and it looks like... Exactly the same game? I was expecting something more radical for a sequel truth be told! Or even just looking different visually.

I’ve had one game on the beta so far.  Felt essentially the same, except Mercy’s voice sounded different, and I’m terrible playing on PC.  One tank was interesting.  It felt harder to push.  Got Dorado map so a payload one.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah I hope they're not going to charge full whack for it because it's literally the same game. I wonder if they're gonna go f2p for the multiplayer and maybe charge for the campaign.

I'm pretty sure it's always been the case that MP will be a free update for OW1, and the OW2 campaign is paid-for.