Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch

tobert

Two new characters, maybe three (?) new maps, and the worst Australian accent since The Good Place. I'm actually dissapointed.

If it is three new maps, OW2 is going to launch with fewer maps than OW1 had a year ago.

OK, turns out someone called Siho Ellsmore is voicing Junkerqueen. She's an AUstralian, but that accent is cringeworthy, and does not sound like her actual voice. It reminds me an interview with Henning Wehn when he said he went for a job to voice a radio ad for a German Christmas market and the radio producer said he didn't sound German enough, so he act to play act way over the top until it sounded cartoonish. I think the same thing might be going on here.

It's just a really boring looking character as well. Doesn't feel very Overwatch even. I think that new Soldier type character has the same problem. It's like they've forgotten whatever the original design ethos was when making this stuff.

following the stream event today.

- The new hero Junker Queen (a tank, thankfully) looks sick. Great backstory, too.

- 1 more hero (support thankfully) arriving at launch.

- I’m fine with a battlepass. I should be happier about it going F2P, it’s hard to imagine a live service pvp game not being F2P these days. That said, it’s a team based game so people playing without investment could mean quick play becomes an awful experience. Hopefully competitive will be better but even then. I know it sounds insane but I’m still conditioned to think there’s more value in games you’ve paid for. It sounds like the new model will see more content added more frequently. Plus more players = shorter queues!

- on the subject of more content, I’ve always thought Overwatch’s default designs (and therefore skins) are the best looking and find myself not liking the comedy, non canon ones. I want the games to have all the players looking like they stepped out of the cinematics. (I expect that I’m in the minority here). A battlepass and hundreds of new skins won’t help that.

- having not played the first beta I have no idea how the new 5v5 is going to work, I suspect it will cause issues on older maps. 6v6 was a great dynamic I thought, queue times not withstanding.

- All in all I’m mostly excited.

The Overwatch 2 Watchpoint pack - for the upcoming free to play game, Overwatch 2, is up for sale now on all platforms priced….£34.99

This gives you

- the first premium battlepass

- 2 legendary tier skins

- an exclusive player icon

- 2000 in virtual currency (I haven’t seen a guide on how much shop items will actually cost!.

- guaranteed access to OW2 beta.

This seems rather outrageous given the beta is essentially free if you get the sign up. I would wager that 2000 would be the price of a single legendary skin maybe. I wonder how much this values the battlepass at or virtual currency at? I can’t see anyone releasing a battlepass for more than a tenner, can you?

Admittedly you also get Overwatch 1 legendary edition which is currently a full price title (though almost continually on sale) in the pack but bear in mind that Overwatch 1 will effectively cease to function/exist when it turns into the free Overwatch 2.

Blizzard and micro transactions are a terrible combination.

On 17/06/2022 at 03:50, Strafe said:

That said, it’s a team based game so people playing without investment could mean quick play becomes an awful experience

"Becomes"?

I've been trying to see what the deal is with with the Watchpoint pack. It's basically $65 for guaranteed access to a beta you have a chance to be involved in for free and a few new skins, for a game that's going to be F2P on release anyway.

Am I missing something?

Don't buy into it.

- Tis just the first premium battle pass, who cares that it's the first. How's that a selling point?

- You won't use the skins

- You'll never use the player icon

- You get 2000 of a mysterious currency

- You already have access to the OW2 beta

Don't buy into it.

3 hours ago, df0 said:

Don't buy into it.

- Tis just the first premium battle pass, who cares that it's the first. How's that a selling point?

- You won't use the skins

- You'll never use the player icon

- You get 2000 of a mysterious currency

- You already have access to the OW2 beta

Don't buy into it.

- In theory, same as with Fortnite. People still sell accounts with all the old rare skins and being able to show you’re an original is the sort of thing people like.

- I probably won’t but plenty do. And in addition to the first point, some skins are highly prized by some of the less stable corners of the OW community to the point of insanity

- yeah, I wouldn’t.

- I’ve read that the battlepass is 1000 in said currency, so I imagine that translates to a tenner. But, Blizzard.

-Beta access to OW2 isn’t guaranteed unless you buy this pack.

This was a pretty good breakdown:

TLDR:

Watchpoint equivilent to about three season battle passes for the price of one. Still nto worth it, IMO

Also:

Skins carry over

OW1 credits carry over, but can't be used on OW2 stuff

Unopened crates are automatically opened

MR and SR will go througha  slight edit but won't be flat out started from scratch

Lower ELOs will have some granularity (ie, changes every 100, not 500 pts)

Some Ult charge till carry over if you change character in game

Overwatch's ranking system continues to be a mystery to me.

I ran through 5 placement matches for tank last night, after never playing tank in comp, and got 2 losses and 3 wins. Result? 2050 SR - straight into gold.  I got 5 wins out of 5 for my support placement matches and got something like 1700.

So, I've been away from Overwatch for a few years. I got a beta code for 2, installed it and... it basically feels exactly the same to me. We started on Eichenwald, my team was a Tank that thought it was DPS, Support that kinda tried to do its job, and two attackers who thought running headlong into enemy groups solo was a winning tactic.

I was Brigitte, and having nobody group in my healing radius sure made that a great choice. So I swapped to Mercy and got sniped out on my own since everyone was running around aimlessly.

And did I mention it feels almost exactly the same? The game itself does, granted, but it's more that sickening feeling of going into the first minute or so of a match and knowing that your team has absolutely no cohesion whatsoever and you're guaranteed to lose badly.

It's no secret a lot of people are dissapointed OW2 feels like OW1 would have been had Bliz just kept up with the updates rather than stpoping everything to work on OW1. Which is a good thing, IMO. The game needed to evolve, not be built again from the ground up. Then it would just be another game.

I could imagine OW2 (and I am a little salty someone who hasn't played for years got an invite while I'M STILL RIGHT HERE, BLIZZARD) would still be finding its feet as everyone tries new things out. Also updates are coming weekly. Things will probably settle down playwise when the character balance is more stable.

One thing I've been wondering about - and I've seen some people playing the beta comment on - is how the OW1 maps can feel a bit out of place with a 5v5 match up, designed as they were with 6v6 and mostly 2 tanks in mind. On the other hand reports are it plays quite differently, more free flowing and less static gieven there's now only sheild to hide behind and often not even that.

Brig is one of those heroes who are going to need some serious tweaking in OW2, IMO. In the right comp she's an easy carry, but that's with two nearby brawler tanks in play. Take one tank away and add the mor espread out play and her healing would probbaly be....meh. Several other heroes who rely on the current set up - like Sym  -have been seriously tweaked to fit in. I'm surprised She hasn't yet.

I got an email from Blizzard late last night saying “complete your Overwatch 2 beta registration” and felt the warmth of God’s light shining down upon me.

The link provided was down until this morning so after checking responses from Blizzard CS on Twitter I went to sleep confident that I would be sorted in the morning. It was! I clicked on the link where upon I was provided with a survey asking me two questions - what platform and what region, both of which were already asked when I signed up anyway - followed by this message:

“Thanks! Those are all the questions we have.
Please be on the lookout for communication from us if you're selected for the Beta.”

There is no God.

Coincidentally Josh Strife Hayes did a review on it like three days ago. He plays and reviews all kinds of MMO's in a rather interesting way, he's not a designer himself but he explains things like one. Why things work, why things don't. Tis a tad long, but worth it.

Ignore the title, that's the name he chose for this series.

On 30/06/2022 at 10:34, Mikes said:

Overwatch's ranking system continues to be a mystery to me.

I ran through 5 placement matches for tank last night, after never playing tank in comp, and got 2 losses and 3 wins. Result? 2050 SR - straight into gold.  I got 5 wins out of 5 for my support placement matches and got something like 1700.

I'm actually warming to this. Ben playing tank and working my way up the rankings. I'm in teams of full plats and golds, and it so different to the players in the bronze / silver I get dumped with in support. Just the attitude and communication. Maybe I'm a tank player and never realised it.