Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch

tobert

11 hours ago, Benny said:

Welp, successfully reminded myself why I stopped playing Overwatch.

I do wonder how this will do with the general public. As it’s more of a big balance patch (as well as adding in more aggressive monetisation) there’s no blank slate as such and new people will all be going up against the turbo sweats who’ve been playing if for years with every character unlocked.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Mine says the same @Strafe

Phew. My Switch account has all the best skins, including specials they didn’t release again in the last week like comic book Tracer (has 60’s Batman like POW! sounds when you melee.)

Am i right in saying that you can only merge accounts from within the game on consoles? I sold my copy a while ago so I think , unless there is an option to do this via the web,  I am scuppered.

Also am I right in thinking that, if I don't merge accounts, I will need to unlock all the hero's again? 

Surely if you already linked whatever version you used to own to your Blizzard account it should just carry over? Mind you it’s Activision Blizzard who are kings of gouging so who knows?

1 hour ago, tobert said:

Am i right in saying that you can only merge accounts from within the game on consoles? I sold my copy a while ago so I think , unless there is an option to do this via the web,  I am scuppered.

Also am I right in thinking that, if I don't merge accounts, I will need to unlock all the hero's again? 

I don't have an active PSN sub so I've not even bothered turning on my PS4. However, you can link the Battle.net account to it entirely in a browser which I was assuming would be enough.

Basically, go here: https://account.battle.net/connections#connected-accounts

Click connect on whatever your console account is. In my case it was PSN, so it took me to the PlayStation account website and prompted me to login to my PSN account, and once logged in it automatically linked it to Battle.net

Also, I don't think the actual merging will happen until OW2 is out, so as long as you link your console accounts to Battle.net I assume it then carries it all over. Right now if you login to OW1 I don't think any items will carry over yet seeing as they've not yet merged them as part of the OW2 cross platform model.

At least that is my assumption.

The final step:

Once you have done the above linking process, boot up Overwatch on ANY version. In my case I booted up the PC version again, and then I had a new account merge option appear. Then use that to confirm your account merge. It let me confirm the PSN account progression to be merged.

I suggest doing this today before they turn the servers off at 5pm (BST) to be safe.

I managed to install my PS4 disc and link mine just in time. I had about 4000 credits which I didn't have time to blow before the server went down, I guess they are just lost now.

I can't think of the last time a supposed big IP sequel release had so little hype. I think it really speaks to how badly they mismanaged the original and also just how much the the reputation of Blizzard has gone down the toilet in the years since.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I managed to install my PS4 disc and link mine just in time. I had about 4000 credits which I didn't have time to blow before the server went down, I guess they are just lost now.

I can't think of the last time a supposed big release had so little hype. I think it really speaks to how badly they mismanaged the original and also just how much the the reputation of Blizzard has gone down the toilet in the years since.

Your credits will be transferred to OW2. 

Is there little perceived hype because a forum full of 40something gamers with families isn't the target demographic and therefore we (mostly) don't give a fuck? How's it going over in the PC spaces? I genuinely don't know, I'm so far removed from the loop of what's hot these days.

Regarding earlier post, managed to link accounts via battle net but got to use my bud's ps too late to use coins for skins. Server is down.

Dunno if I even had coins but maybe could have grabbed a widow skin I'd never use because I'm terrible at sniping.

New chars look pretty cool. Is it only the 3 so far, sojourn, junker queen and kiriko?

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Is there little perceived hype because a forum full of 40something gamers with families isn't the target demographic and therefore we (mostly) don't give a fuck? How's it going over in the PC spaces? I genuinely don't know, I'm so far removed from the loop of what's hot these days.

Possibly. I don't know what the new hotness is atm, but also as a 40 something I care more about what I like than the new hotness.

I'm also using 'new hotness' in a sentence, which is telling.

Anyhoo, I was watching a review of OW1 the other day and it reminded me of a few things, mainly how in 2016/17/18 OW was The Shit and ubiquitious enough to bleed into popular culture, and how that all went away when they annoucned OW2 and basically did fuck all for three years with either game.

It's my own personal suspicion the annoucnement was made super early to try and distract from the HR issues Blizzard were havig at the time. A management decision based on PR that lead the devs to having to pull resources from OW1 to try and suddenly boost OW2, screwing the golden goose in the process. Now the landscape has changed around them leaving OW behind.

It's still a fucking amazing game and I love it. However I don't think OW needed a sequel. If it had been left alone it would probably be in the same state OW2 will be on release, but without the dearth of content it suffered through for three years, bleeding players in the process. I also don't think 5v5 would have happened.

Whether or not that's a good thing will be seen as the game grows. I can see how not shooting shield after shield would be better, but proof will be in th eplaying.

Eitherway, I'm itching to get into it tomorrow.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Pretty sure the coins don't go forwards. Only pretty sure though. I spent mine on shit for Zenyatta and Mercy because :wub: 

image.thumb.png.c4d1c827c9ace52eca9dc131bc00438e.png

I was going by this on the account merge FAQ. Have I misunderstood?

My interpretation is that all balances will be added up (as in sum total of 2+2 = 4).

No idea if there will be any distinction between OW1 and OW2 credits. It would seem odd if there was no longer a way to earn the former.

Apparently the prices of cosmetic items is going to be much higher in the new one so I’m kicking myself that I didn’t use them now stuff will cost twice what it used to later today.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

This doesn't unlock until 8pm UK time. Also the link on the Overwatch 2 Xbox page just launches my disc copy so I guess they're just going to release a massive patch for that? Christ knows.

Is that why there's no link to download it on battle.net or on eshop?  Just the option to buy the Watchpoint pack

I'm interested just to see how much the reduced team size completely messes with the balance. And to bully some newbies with Junkrat.

The new heroes look quite boring from both a design and gameplay perspective. I don't think I had any interest in what they added since Ashe to be honest.

On 03/10/2022 at 12:48, Benny said:

The final step:

Once you have done the above linking process, boot up Overwatch on ANY version. In my case I booted up the PC version again, and then I had a new account merge option appear. Then use that to confirm your account merge. It let me confirm the PSN account progression to be merged.

I suggest doing this today before they turn the servers off at 5pm (BST) to be safe.

5pm? By the time the bastard had downloaded a massive defunct update on my bud’s ps5 it was about… 5.15 pm. On my own one I couldn’t get past the title screen to see what was on offer in the shop, how much coins I had, etc.

What a dumpster fire this server switch has been for me. Can only hope I already had that natty Chinese themed widow skin I wanted (that I’d never use anyway since I can’t snipe at all).

Also, I think the new characters look awesome personally. If Junker Queen clicks, she’ll be my tanking main. Sojourn looks fun to play with the Vanquish slide, and Kiriko seems okay too.

• tobert changed the title to Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch