Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch

tobert

Ayep. Technically you can earn currency over time with the ass-awful weeklies, but that would entail queuing for 8 minutes a match to get in as DPS or Tanks for mitigation and damage ones. Thankfully it's a sliding scale so you're at least getting 30 without too much effort, but I'm not playing 7 games of arcade mode for something like 7p to round it off.

Fortunately I like playing support, though it'd be nice to play as DPS once in a blue moon. Got the watchpoint pack cheap and managed to land DPS in all queue role literally once to play as space pirate Soldier 76. So if you buy a skin for anyone other than support you're not going to see it anywhere near as often.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/11/2022 at 13:01, Sel Feena said:

I feel like for that price I’d only be inclined if the skins had some special voice lines/effects attached. As it is, I guess the only skins I’ll be picking up are whatever the bp provides, which feels mandatory if you want to get at the new heroes

Ugh

They often do have different voice lines, though they aren’t selectable and/or are said when doing an ultimate.

Tracer’s comic book skin has 60’s batman esque ‘pow’ sound effects on melee

I don't know. I quite like the Pharah, Junker and Disco Echo skins. Also Victorian Paperboy/Street Urchin Tracer is funny. Unsure how 70% of it fits into the Greek theme, mind.

Good to see they've reduced the thresholds for weekly challenges quite substantially, now they just need to up it from 60 to 120 coins per week so you can easily grind for a free Battle Pass every season.

Junker Queen's Mythic is a little bit weird, which is unfortunate as I really like her base design.

I can say that I didn't feel compelled to immediately dump points on this pass, you'd think if it's their most reliable revenue stream they'd make a bit more of an effort with it - MW2's is easily much better.

You can now redeem MS points for Overwatch coins. Presumably they don’t carry over to other formats but I guess you can just make the purchase on your Xbox/windows machine and the purchases will carry over to your preferred format of choice if different.

10,000 points for 1000 coins which is enough for the battle pass if anyone’s on the fence.

1 hour ago, Sel Feena said:

Soldier’s skin is freaking sick, maybe the best from this season I’ve seen

Which one? Can't see it in the pass or the store right now.

And yeah. You do get small amounts of currency from the weeklies, but it won't keep pace with what you shell out on the pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a match against a hyper aggressive Brigitte who would walk, on her own, into the middle of our team and start swinging while her team were a hundred miles away.

Normally this would be hilarious and she'd be a complete hindrance to her team. Except, for some reason, instead of focusing fire on her our entire team would go 'oh shit, it's a Brigitte without any backup' and literally run away back towards spawn despite being three or four against one support. And we had a Roadhog who can easily hook and one-shot her.

I mean... yeah, I'm a bit speechless. Didn't happen just once, it was a constant stream of recurring nonsense.

I gave up ages ago. Something about the fun and frolics of Overwatch 1 is just no longer present in the game any more. The soul has somehow been ripped out and it's difficult to put my finger on exactly why.

I think something about the way character's play now doesn't feel as nice or powerful any more. Or maybe it was over familiarity. Maybe the same old stupid bollocks with players that can't learn anything. Maybe the lack of progression. Dunno. Probably just a host of things that punctured the balloon of gestalt that the game had been expanding fit to burst for ages.

Just to be all Mary Mary, I'm absolutely fucking loving the excuse to get back into it and playing most nights. Only unranked, of course. That's where all the nice people are.

Edit: Although I do think the move from loot boxes to battle pass has made that part of the game slightly worse.

For me it's actually very similar. I played a fair bit of Overwatch 1, and all the same problems have carried across - main one being that nobody ever seems to learn. The amount of players who think trickling in solo after a wipe is a good idea is astounding.

I will say though, I don't recall spawn camping being quite so prevalent in the 6v6 matchup. You get a lot of teams shoving up against the door now as a match progresses instead of just at the start to be cheeky. Maybe it was a thing and I forgot about it, but it just seems to happen so much more often now.

Junker Queen's fun though. Shame you have to sit in an extended queue unless you're happy to only play support, ever. (I enjoy support roles, but I'd also like a bit of variety, y'know?)