Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch

tobert

5 hours ago, Len said:

This just sounds excellent and being a TF2 addict many many moons ago I really want to give it a go. I tried the beta on the last day but it just seemed to get stuck after completing the tutorial. Play option was greyed out and unselectable which was annoying to say the least. From reading up apparently it should have been downloading something in the background but never seemed to change for me unfortunately. The overall positivity though is thinking to just give it a punt anyway. Look forward to reading more thoughts this week on it from those who are in.  

If you like TF2, then you'll really like this. You could argue that it's a spiritual successor and love letter to TF all wrapped in one. 

I haven't really played TF2 since it became f2p. I was originally a Team Fortress Classic addict tbh and the original Quake mod before that but loved TF2 as well. Do you remember when they originally showed some proper military style shots and everyone got excited? Then they took it back for god knows how many years and revamped a classic.

Anyway, think I'm going to have to give this a go. The only question being PC or PS4.

From what I've been able to glean from Redddit, Soldier 76 used to be the "Captain America" of Overwatch - the perfect hero never straying from the path of what's right etc. That context makes the short a lot more interesting to me than it first appeared, especially his drawn out hesitation as to whether to save the girl or go after the gang members. It really speaks to how the rejection and disbanding of Overwatch must've changed him profoundly as a person and left him as someone who's basically a vigilante now. 

Whilst it would be nice to be into a new shooter (haven't really since Rare's efforts, really) I didn't really enjoy the beta. Changing character mid-game removes individuality to me, which for a game that has quite a cast is a shame. I'm sure it makes sense for the gameplay (I honestly didn't play it enough to judge, was trying to learn the ins and outs of 1 character and never switching) it didn't feel right.

I'm sure it'll be great in due time but even Heroes of the Storm excited me more.

Maybe it's also I'm secretly still annoyed the MMO Titan turned into a shooter. Sob.

I've still got Starcraft 2 to play through as well. At one point I was such a Blizzard fanboy I was buying all the Collectors Editions even if I'm not even that into the genre.

Not this time, methinks.

Shame Neg, I think you could like it if you play it 'right' - that sounds like a really judgemental thing to say but Blizz has designed the game around switching characters depending on a situation. It's less about being locked into the one play style the whole match and more about adapting depending on how the situation is going down.

In the beta I ended up with say three characters that I swapped through for different roles so I stayed quite focused on their play style but was able to be useful depending on what situation we had. Eg you may want to play a different character if your team is attacking to if you are defending, if it's bases rather than payload etc :D

Interestingly the Recall short had a bunch of generic faces that don't fit the artstyle, but there's also three done in the same cel-shaded style as the Hero select portraits in the full game.

1881429_0.png

Black Lady Adam Jensen 2nd row far right, ??? 3rd row middle and 3rd row right is apparently the AI Athena.

1 hour ago, sprite said:

Shame Neg, I think you could like it if you play it 'right' - that sounds like a really judgemental thing to say but Blizz has designed the game around switching characters depending on a situation. It's less about being locked into the one play style the whole match and more about adapting depending on how the situation is going down.

In the beta I ended up with say three characters that I swapped through for different roles so I stayed quite focused on their play style but was able to be useful depending on what situation we had. Eg you may want to play a different character if your team is attacking to if you are defending, if it's bases rather than payload etc :D

There's certainly something to be said when your known to be good with a certain character though. Few could argue about the ins and outs of my Abathur in HOTS, and that's because of the hours and hours I've put into him on every map.

Nonetheless, why not be known to be amaze with a whole bunch you could say. It's within the same match that irks me I guess. More open to mistakes when switching. Not saying it's impossible though, just another skill barrier to break. 

Like playing Jaws and Oddjob at the same time!

If you are losing badly, switch characters, you are probably playing the wrong type for the opposing force makeup. All the characters are so easy to use I don't think it breaks the flow of the game at all. 

TONIGHT FOLKS! If anyone is on PC and fancy playing in a team on voice comms gimme a shout via steam or PM and I can invite to a discord server.

I saw people online actually thinking that was the 'swag' they were going to get for going to that Overwatch launch cinema event thingy.

What they actually got a coke cup with a picture of a character on it. :lol:

23 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Any PS4 crew staying up for this tonight?

I'm seriously considering it, just for an hour or two. If you want to team up and I'm still online then just add/message me (assuming I haven't already got you on there, I forget). PSN name is the same as my handle on here.

Anyone else who wants to add me, for either tonight or some games further along the line, please feel free. :)

• tobert changed the title to Overwatch 2 - Now live, F2P - PC, Playstation, Xbox & Switch