IGNORED

Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

tobert

1 hour ago, DC07 said:

Yep, I've finally learnt to ignore the objective in all my placement matches in the future. Despite the loss of SR, I've started the season with a 70% win ratio which means I'm now due a losing streak to rub salt in.

Fortunately, I have my smurf account so can unleash my inner toxic Widowmaker in another ten pointlesss placement matches today! If they take less SR off for that, I'm suing Jeff.

That reminds me I need to make an alt account this season....I can't play serious and carefree on my main one lol need one for pushing rank and one for dossing about. 

Just now, Benny said:

I only play quick play. Because quite honestly, who gives a shit?

The thing is, the standard of group composition in quick play is awful / gets worse over time. If you want to actually enjoy the game then often competitive is the only place to do that.

24 minutes ago, Benny said:

I only play quick play. Because quite honestly, who gives a shit?

Lots of people do lol. Like any other online game, some people play to get better, some people play to doss about... 

But yea in QP you can be matched with anyone and everyone so the matches tend to be either you steamroll or get steamrolled, Comp is much more even. 

I'm seemingly trapped in a bit of a vicious circle with this when it comes to Comp, in that the last two seasons I've not played much (especially in groups), and I'm generally starting a bit too late (like this season, where I haven't done any placements yet), so I'm topping out at about 2100 (after being ranked 1600-1700 initially), and generally being grouped with idiots. This is not the optimal way to play (or anywhere near as much fun as the game can be), so I then don't play much (Comp), and the cycle repeats...

As such, at the moment I play about once or twice a week, mainly in Arcade* (to get my lootboxes), have a bit of fun with it, and then come back again the following week. I may still try and play a bit this weekend (if anyone's around), to try and at least get myself started in Competitive, but we'll see, and to be honest I'm fine with that cycle repeating for the most part.

* I find QP dull, as there's no real incentive to play properly, and as such the idiot level tends to be even higher. Case in point was in a game we played last night, where the other team stayed near their own spawn in the second round (after we demolished them in the opener) and just repeatedly threw themselves into traffic rather than play the game. This was vaguely amusing for a bit (and I was Zen, so I kept Discording them to see how many assists I could get), but it hardly makes for an entertaining game.

Arcade does tend to have something every week I can get into too - these last two weeks I've been enjoying Total Mayhem, as three characters I really enjoy (Zarya, Winston and Sombra) have been buffed more than most by the changes, and I can use them to be a real pain in the arse in some chaotic and entertaining games.

I bought a boxed copy last week (or rather my wife did). I've still got the free-to-play version installed. I tried to redeem the code to save re-installing the game I already have installed and it's telling me that the code has already been redeemed. I'm now trying to install it from the disc to see if that gets round this issue. 

Hmm...

I played this enough to get to rank 27 in the first week or so back at release (so not that much, really), then drifted away, missing all the events, new maps and new characters. Last week I got a hankering for it so reinstalled it and was so frustrated within three matches that I uninstalled it, vowing never to bother with it again. 

Then last night I bought it on PS4. :facepalm:

Good to see the inconsistent matchmaking is still in play this season. Our group rating is roughly between 2900-3100 depending how many of us are on so we're high plat/low Diamond across the board. You would therefore assume that people would have semblance of a clue what characters to pick. Over games the last few nights we have had some very odd choices from randoms.

I just dont get it! Some of these people are level 4/500+ in Diamond and yet we get people staying as say Genji the whole match despite being repeatedly hard countered...we have people completely ignoring the fact we need another healer as Lucio can't solo heal etc. People lose their minds when they see pharmercy when in reality it's easy to deal with if people change to hitscan accordingly and focus her together. A discord and 2 dps killing her a few times WILL force her to switch! 

It's just infuriating :/ We can have a couple of decent, close games where it feels like the group is synergising really well and we deserved the win to then be matched with people who both go Junkrat/Mei leaving us with no room for a decent dps or another support. And that's not including all the matches with quitters. We were playing on Oasis the other night, we were 2-0 up orignally but they equalised to 2-2 because they adapted their team whereas ours didnt. As soon as they won that first round and brought it to 2-1 someone on our team quit. It's a plague infecting all games atm and it really does ruin it. 

And yet I keep coming back to it. Damn you Blizz and you're addictive games. 

I quit, again, several weeks ago and came close to reinstalling this over the past days, thinking "why did I ever quit, I am sure I can just take a loss and move on". Then I read this topic and immediately remember why I quit and why I should never reinstall this again.

Great game, great design. I just can not deal with team members not doing their job. And the older I get, the less patience I have.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I quit, again, several weeks ago and came close to reinstalling this over the past days, thinking "why did I ever quit, I am sure I can just take a loss and move on". Then I read this topic and immediately remember why I quit and why I should never reinstall this again.

Great game, great design. I just can not deal with team members not doing their job. And the older I get, the less patience I have.

We haven't been on a horrid losing streak so far, it's been lose 3-4, win 3-4 and round and round we go. I'm okay at the moment as its still early days this season and Im fairly confident I can get Diamond again at some point...just need that one good run of matches. I'm honestly surprised they are choosing to buff/nerf mccree/roadhog/reaper though but no changes to Pharah whatsoever...she's not impossible to kill like people make out BUT you do see her almost every game and if your randoms choose not to shoot her she can dominate the match so easily. Thinking a damage nerf would be decent since she can two shot most other DPS who have a shot at killing her. 

Pharah's fine tbh, and I think the game is in a really good place balance-wise right now. The amount of people who think the Pharmercy counter is Pharmercy still baffles me though.

I had a relatively pleasant experience with my placements this time around. 6 wins, 4 losses. Lots of communication too. 2 of those losses involved the aforementioned Pharmercy clusterfucks. I've noticed a lot more comms and counter switching when I get matched with masters too, it makes such a difference.

That's fucking hilarious. Had some great competitive games with the rllmuk crew tonight - especially a ridiculously tense game on Ilios.

Symmetra continues to be the best hero.

I got fucking SILVER rank, somehow! 1895 despite getting the same wins as Anth, who got Gold.

10 hours ago, Meh said:

That's fucking hilarious. Had some great competitive games with the rllmuk crew tonight - especially a ridiculously tense game on Ilios.

Symmetra continues to be the best hero.

I got fucking SILVER rank, somehow! 1895 despite getting the same wins as Anth, who got Gold.

I ended up ranked in silver as well - 1721 which is about 30 off the lowest MMR score I've ever had in comp. Overwatch. I kind of expected it though as I finished last season at 1942 so it seems to be in line with the 100-200 points drop people are experiencing.

Some of the placements matches were hilarious though. I ended up with 5 gold medals in a match on Hollywood as Lucio. I went 14-1 but we still got stomped. God knows what the rest of my team were doing.

1 hour ago, Coltrane said:

Some of the placements matches were hilarious though. I ended up with 5 gold medals in a match on Hollywood as Lucio. I went 14-1 but we still got stomped. God knows what the rest of my team were doing.

Not much if some of the games I had yesterday are to go by, the 3 of us carried a few games yesterday while our team was doing nothing. Can be immensely frustrating.

2 minutes ago, evilwallpaper said:

This seasons placement for me went 5 wins, 4 losses and 1 draw, ended up with a skill ranking of 2544. I'm sure I had the exact same results last season and ended up with a much lower ranking :unsure:.

You honestly might as well imagine that during placements your rank is as it was at the end of the last season and goes up/down accordingly you just cant see it. 

Bought this on the weekend. Originally had trouble getting into it, what with the overwhelming choice. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing from one minute to the next.

It's funny, because I usually gravitate toward the stealth ninja characters. I just couldn't get on with any of the ones available. 

Then I played as Symmetra and everything suddenly clicked into place: How the countering system plays out; when to rush in and when to hold back; and most importantly, how best to support your team mates. That last part is most important, because unless you know how to gel with the team, the game is barely above average. Once it all stinks in, though, it becomes magical.

Like, there is no better feeling than ripping the other team's healers apart, then focusing a fully-charged beam on their tanks. It's fucking orgasmic watching them all die horribly.

Winston and Roadhog can be a nightmare, though.