IGNORED

Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

tobert

Question - (how) does the game flag up if you receive dupes in the first place? I'm only a little below you (level 56) and I've not knowingly ever received duplicate items, but it's entirely possible I just haven't noticed.

Impressed with Retribution, very polished and much better fun to replay than Uprising was. There's also extra voice lines if you replay it revealing more of the backstory. The presentation is really nice too, proper cutscenes and everything. If they did decide to make a co-op game in this style in the future I'd be up for it. Yes, it won't last beyond a few days but this is their best outing by far.

In an interview Jeff said they started making it right after Uprising, so a lot of work has gone into it. It's worth it though, now they have the tech in place to make more complex missions like this one, and you'd imagine they're looking to the future beyond Overwatch with the skills they're picking up along the way.

There's some notable buffs and nerfs in this patch too. D-Va rocket damage slightly reduced (doesn't affect things much). Zen alternate fire is slower so you can't so easily kill people on the other side of the map in a split second (not that many people can pull this off). Mei can now freeze people through multiple targets so that's kinda scary if you are playing tanks/Brigitte. But Reaper now is a lot more scary - he moves faster in wraith form and it can be cancelled at any time. I think we're going to see a lot of him moving forward. If backed up properly he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Some good skins and emotes in the event too. Blackwatch Moira is cool, Suit Hanzo and highlight intros for a bunch of heroes including Zarya and Orisa. Also don't forget to grab those dance emotes - annoyingly you can't buy them with credits though!

It is, fortunately, misreported in the client (I presume it's the unpacked size that's given) - for me it said it was something like 14gb, but the resulting actual download (according to my network monitor and the bit where it took less than an hour to download at 2MB/s) was 'only' ~4gb.

• 1 month later...

What special type of spastic cunt does one need to be to play as Roadhog and not ever target the opposing Bastion whom has no shield, none and sits on top of the payload. The special type of spastic cunt who self assigns a “target Tracer” mission and fails miserably at that.

My kid has got into this in a big way. He's actually really good at it, picks up the characters and their skills incredibly quickly. He has absolutely no tactical nous whatsoever though, just barrels round the map having the time of his life. The fact I just know his team is probably full of raging middle aged men popping a gasket makes it even more delicious. I turned off the voice chat, and he takes all the sarcastic 'thanks' at face value. Probably thinks it's such a friendly community!

(I don't let him play competitive though, I'm not a monster)

I've been really enjoying this again lately, I think it's really important to keep in mind what @SozzlyJoe says in that there's a lot of kids playing this having the time of their lives, so it's not always going to be the most optimal character choices.  As you get higher up the ranks in competitive I imagine this lessens somewhat, mind.

I've been having a blast playing Brigitte.  Since Ana, I've not really clicked with any of the new characters until now.  She took a little time to figure out, suss out the best way to play her (and when not to), but I've found her really effective in maybe 80% of cases.  The maps that really hurt her are where there's a lot of levels (Watchpoint: Gibraltar, Junkertown) or anytime that Pharah is allowed free reign, as she can easily sneak in around the little shield which is annoying.  And she's brilliant at both King of the Hill and hugging the payload :)  Not to mention occasional sneaky knock offs on Ilios etc, and helping to push the hard chokes like Hanamura where you can bop the inevitable Reinhardt back exposing Bastion and co.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now got this game on PC (bought on release), PS4 (bought in a sale) and Xbox One (came with my new One X). I'm not very good at it, tend to stick to support characters as I can't shoot for shit, and think I've made it to level 20ish maximum. Considering you link to your battlenet account, you'd think (and I wish) your progress and unlocks carried over. 

Sometimes it frustrates me greatly, but it's Blizzard, so I generally forgive them for everything. The Blizzard World map is a proper geekgasm for me and somewhere I wish was actually real as I would go visit it tomorrow.  

Would anyone be willing to join up a weekly game of this? Nothing serious, just casual and fun. I think I'd be more into it if I had others to play with regularly, as I get tired of being the only one playing the objective, using my character properly and doing what I'm supposed to when I group with randoms!!!

If you still aren't having luck finding good teammates, your best bet is to just add anyone you see having a good attitude to your friends list. And use the Group Up option after matches, that often leads to getting a buddy you can play with another time. As a support player you will also make friends easily!

NEW SYMMETRA!

It's finally happening, and all the crazy ideas that Blizzard were spouting have become reality. An Ultimate that builds a wall across the entire map?! Temporary teleporters! Amazing gameplay and tactics potential, though seems totally OP now. New Sym is on the PTR, eta for Live servers unknown.

8 hours ago, Orko said:

Would anyone be willing to join up a weekly game of this? Nothing serious, just casual and fun. I think I'd be more into it if I had others to play with regularly, as I get tired of being the only one playing the objective, using my character properly and doing what I'm supposed to when I group with randoms!!!

I would, but as the rest of the Xbox crew will tell you I literally cannot play casually, it's always serious lol. Unless you have a team of 6 sorted to regularly play with, you'll always get retarded randoms. Hell, we've been putting up with it for the past 10 seasons. Between that and the smurfing it's more like a spinning a roulette wheel at the start of the game whether you're going to win or not as opposed to anything skill related. 

8 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

If you still aren't having luck finding good teammates, your best bet is to just add anyone you see having a good attitude to your friends list. And use the Group Up option after matches, that often leads to getting a buddy you can play with another time. As a support player you will also make friends easily!

NEW SYMMETRA!

It's finally happening, and all the crazy ideas that Blizzard were spouting have become reality. An Ultimate that builds a wall across the entire map?! Temporary teleporters! Amazing gameplay and tactics potential, though seems totally OP now. New Sym is on the PTR, eta for Live servers unknown.

I hated it for a few matches, but Sym 3.0 is INSANELY powerful. It's tougher to survive with no photon barrier, but her kit mostly makes up for it. She's crazy.

Yeah I'd forgotten photon barrier is no longer a thing, its one of the main reasons she's so hard to kill up close.

Many people saying she is OP now, I reckon they'll probably just nerf her damage rampup on the beam, maybe nerf the turrets a little. It's her new utility that's the most exciting anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone explain the ranking system to me?

I am relatively new to Overwatch. Clocked up about 20 hours, I'm enjoying it but... it's the only game I've ever played that tells me I am getting worse rather than better. My competitive rank started out around 1970 and has gradually plunged to 1400.

Sure, I realise the short answer to this is 'you're shit' but I generally feel like I'm improving my skills from game to game. My map knowledge is much better than when I started. My accuracy is better. My ability to work with team mates is better. My competence with weapons and abilities is better. Yet I am being ranked worse and worse. What's more galling is that my win/loss record is roughly 50/50 yet when I win a game it goes up by a few points, but when I lose it drops sharply.

What gives?

I want to like this game but it doesn't like me.

The whole aim of ranked is to get you into a bracket where you win 50/50, if that’s happening you are placed correctly 

sometimes due to placements you will end up in a league higher than you belong, for example I often ended up in platinum after my placements and would then constantly lose back to silver where I belonged

The points you earn is based on various factors, individual skill, team play and also how popular the hero is, it’s easier to rank up as say Sombra than it is tracer as not so many use her.