Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

We’ve got enough days for probably two more papers as well. One around comparing what people say they prefer to play and what they actually play, so

self-representation and then something a bit different. 

49 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

Zenyatta the most popular character..? Rarely encountered in my experience.

Yeah I was shocked too. We got a tonne of respondents from the Overwatch community on Reddit and twitter (1300+ I think from memory). 

On 08/06/2018 at 19:22, Alan Stock said:

Yeah I'd forgotten photon barrier is no longer a thing, its one of the main reasons she's so hard to kill up close.

Many people saying she is OP now, I reckon they'll probably just nerf her damage rampup on the beam, maybe nerf the turrets a little. It's her new utility that's the most exciting anyway!

She's not OP as such - but if you have good positioning, she's an absolute nightmare to deal with. Her right-click is basically a pharah rocket, and the new TP can give snipers the biggest headache in the world. Just try putting down three turrets on the ground, sticking down a TP, then scaring the shit out of the sniper as they get roasted. I've not tried that, personally, but apparently it's hilarious (I got really fucking sick of constant Rialto in PTR).

Her ult can be very hit-or-miss, though.

On 20/06/2018 at 22:05, carlospie said:

The whole aim of ranked is to get you into a bracket where you win 50/50, if that’s happening you are placed correctly 

sometimes due to placements you will end up in a league higher than you belong, for example I often ended up in platinum after my placements and would then constantly lose back to silver where I belonged

The points you earn is based on various factors, individual skill, team play and also how popular the hero is, it’s easier to rank up as say Sombra than it is tracer as not so many use her. 

It rarely works like that, at least on Xbox. Sure, half the games I lose are because the other team is simply better and I can live with that. But the games that I should be winning I don't because of all the damn smurf accounts that aren't factored into setting the game up. Halo 5 seems to have totally dealt and nailed with the smurf issue, wish other games would pick this up, it totally dampens the experience. 

Since I stopped playing OW a couple of weeks ago I'm enjoying my gaming time so much more. When you pull off a last minute win it's a truly amazing experience, but for every time that happens there's the game where you get destroyed by events you can't control or your team decide two snipers, a bastion and no tanks on attack is a sound plan. It can be beyond frustrating and there's absolutely no middle ground. It's either brilliant or makes you despair at the state of humanity. And yet I couldn't stop playing it. Stupid Blizzard and their gaming crack.

I mean, I may well return to it in the future (because I'm a hopeless case) but right now without the highs and low of OW the time I spend gaming is just overall so much more enjoyable.

Worth noting that next month they are introducing a proper group with friends feature. Apparently it won't punish you in competitive for playing with mismatched ranks within your group. Add to that the new Symmetra and a new hero teased and it could be a good time to get into the competitive side again. When I play I still just play quick play. Apparently competitive is still mired with the usual toxicity, surfs and trolling, and combine that with a meta where everyone plays Rein, Hanzo, Zayra in competitive and it simply ain't much fun in that regard.

It's definitely the first season where I've rolled my eyes at how fucking boring it's become. Brig's entry into the game has brought with it a lot of people who just don't want to play anymore. I certainly haven't given a fuck about my performance at all, and I'm playing a lot less.

It's possibly fatigue - but I'm so sick of shields everywhere now. It's made games so slow. Brig has a shield, new Sym has a fucking shield as her ult... it's just become really tiresome, and it's like the developers aren't really thinking of interesting new things to give their heroes.

And don't get me started on the community. Holy shit, they're the worst people on the entire planet.

The new looking for group tool makes this feel like a new game again. Being able to join a game as your preferred role, people using voice comms and not being dicks!

Granted Ive only played about 5 or 6 games using LFG, but the teams Ive been on have been great, hopefully it stays like this! 

For some reason Symmetra isn't as fun. Maybe part of the enjoyment I got was from driving both teams fucking insane. She's still easy to murder things with, but she's so vulnerable in places she wasn't before. No more saving an entire team from a D.va bomb with a top of E :(

19 hours ago, Meh said:

For some reason Symmetra isn't as fun. Maybe part of the enjoyment I got was from driving both teams fucking insane. She's still easy to murder things with, but she's so vulnerable in places she wasn't before. No more saving an entire team from a D.va bomb with a top of E :(

I'm finding her new kit a lot more fun and a lot more powerful. Teleport behind the enemy team, throw up your sentries and go to town.

The new routes and being able to get up high with any hero is a game changer, there's so much you can do with the new tele.

The actual 'wrecking ball' ability looks to be a lot of fun. you can potentially save yourself from lucio boops off the map, too, or sneak around on the outside of the map. His guns are reasonably meaty close up - though the clip is small - and his ult is probably going to get a lot of POTGs.

Fuck Sym - I'm going to learn this little bastard.

It looks like proper madness but great fun. No idea how fun he'll be to play against, especially when he's zooming in at max speed.

The community reaction seems split between WTF this is for kids/completely broken, to OMG this is amazing. I watched some gameplay but because it's PTR most people are wrecking ball so of course it's gonna be mental.

Personally I think it looks annoying to play against but fun to play, and I don't care it's a silly cute hamster really - it's stupid and cheesy but it's Overwatch, who gives a shit? Apparently though, people hate the character design, somehow forgetting the game has a talking monkey, a cute robot with a bird, D-Va, Mei, etc.

And although people are saying the way he moves looks totally OP,  this could be true - but how is it any different to Winston's jump, Genji dashing around everywhere, Doomfist flying in from nowhere, Tracer blinking around?

His guns are awesome, they are really satisfying. And kudos to Blizzard for coming up with something outside the box. People are saying they ran out of ideas when they came up with this hero - on the contrary how bloody hard is it to design a unique hero with such crazy movement and different gameplay to anything else we've seen - and presumably make it balanced?

Jeff's face on the reveal video is brilliant, you can see he can barely restrain his smirk!

12 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

I honestly never thought I'd live to see this.

Wow.

I'm off for a proper lie down.

:lol:

I don't get the same perverse thrill out of playing her as I did old Sym. Like, I was getting bored of OW before I started playing her, but now she's 'just another character' to me. Hamster is entertaining to play so far, and looks like he'll piss off the enemy team.

I like pissing people off.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

It looks like proper madness but great fun. No idea how fun he'll be to play against, especially when he's zooming in at max speed.

The community reaction seems split between WTF this is for kids/completely broken, to OMG this is amazing. I watched some gameplay but because it's PTR most people are wrecking ball so of course it's gonna be mental.

Personally I think it looks annoying to play against but fun to play, and I don't care it's a silly cute hamster really - it's stupid and cheesy but it's Overwatch, who gives a shit? Apparently though, people hate the character design, somehow forgetting the game has a talking monkey, a cute robot with a bird, D-Va, Mei, etc.

And although people are saying the way he moves looks totally OP,  this could be true - but how is it any different to Winston's jump, Genji dashing around everywhere, Doomfist flying in from nowhere, Tracer blinking around?

His guns are awesome, they are really satisfying. And kudos to Blizzard for coming up with something outside the box. People are saying they ran out of ideas when they came up with this hero - on the contrary how bloody hard is it to design a unique hero with such crazy movement and different gameplay to anything else we've seen - and presumably make it balanced?

Jeff's face on the reveal video is brilliant, you can see he can barely restrain his smirk!

I was watching one of the best Sombra players using him last night. The grapple hook looks like it's absolutely ridiculous once you get the hang of it (I haven't).

Hanamura's choke looked like a game of bowling. He was pissing himself laughing.

Played a couple of games using the find a group feature and both were pretty good. No one was on the mic but at least having 2x damage, 2x healer and 2x tank game the team some balance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Wrecking Ball aka Hammond is a lot of fun. You're zooming around and swinging hither and thither, bashing into people and doing hit and run attacks. You don't do too much damage so he's more of a disruption/dive hero than a killing machine. He plays a lot like Winston, you smash into the enemy team or deny an area you're swinging around in. You take loads of damage as you're so big so you pop shields and then use that to run away and get healed up. Hammond needs healers really badly but fortunately they seem to be in good supply these days. Lots of Ana and Mercy on console at the moment.

Hammond gets wrecked by heroes like Hanzo, Mcree and especially Sombra. Unless you have good support you might as well switch off. Hes also difficult to control, and on console I've had a lot of problems replicating the kinds of moves you see Pc players doing. Minefield is great, especially if you pop it in the middle of a fight in a tight space, it wrecks.

Mcree and Soldier are good again with that latest patch as falloff damage has been increased. So right now the meta is in a pretty good spot where you're seeing all kinds of heroes which counter each other. Having a blast with the game right now.