Overwatch - Overwatch 2 announced, adds PvE mode

I spoke too soon. All the changes have gone live.

They call it an experimental card but they seem to implement pretty much everything tested aside from that really fun one when they did a single buffed tank role queue.

Yep. I think the Ash change is due to the really high level players bascially being able to one shot most characters with a boost. Another example of a change to cater for a tiny minority that will adversely effect the majority.

Ash a great character and ads a fun aspect tot he game, but this change basically says 'why should we take her over hanzo or soldier?' and rightly so.

16 hours ago, Mikes said:

Yep. I think the Ash change is due to the really high level players bascially being able to one shot most characters with a boost. Another example of a change to cater for a tiny minority that will adversely effect the majority.

Ash a great character and ads a fun aspect tot he game, but this change basically says 'why should we take her over hanzo or soldier?' and rightly so.

I could only dream of a constant pocket from Mercy in most games.

It's less having a pocket mercy as having a solid, adaptable team where the mercy is there to throw out damage boost while the other healer picks up the healing duties with the odd res. 

Personally I love pocket mercys. They're so predictable and easy to take out.

I'd love to play this with a pre-made and consistent team. I read all sorts of neat things on here and on https://www.reddit.com/r/OverwatchUniversity/ and can picture how nice and fun it must be to play with a solid team. Win or lose, whatever. At least I have some sort of fun.

With randoms it is a complete dumpster fire. No, not every random is trash. No, not every random is a bad player. Yes I had some grand matches with randoms. But from experience those positive things are overshadowed by complete nonsense that spell out "DEFEAT" 60 seconds into the first round. And it's disheartening to see a team failing to remotely work together defend a disadvantageous position. "We're performing poorly, let's keep doing what we're doing".

Looks like they snuck something into the last patch that wasn't announced - now if you use a token to queue for a DPS slot (because the **&^ would use one on tank or support?) and it takes longer than the advertised time (because it almost always does) you get the toke back.

Nerfs on the test realm:

Tracer's damage damage has been reduced, so less damage over further range.

Echo's primary fire ammo has been reduced by two, and her beam duration lowered from 2.5 to 2 second

Zen's discord and harmony orb speed has been reduced considerably. And the discord damage buff has been nerfed from 30% to 20%.

Also in another change, in flex queue you now only get one token for a loss in a flex queue. This is a Good Thing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chinese New Year event is on now. No one cares. The Ash outfit is pretty cool, though.

HOwever, what is news is the voice actor who voices Genji let slip in an interview that he has yet to voice any lines for OW2. That suggests one of two things - OW2 is a long way off and the indications of an early 2021 release were wrong, or they got another actor and this is all super awks.

Blizzcon is later this month. We could hear word about a release date, but even with that it's gong to be a long way off and OW hasn't had any new stuff outside cosmetics in a long time, and they did confirm a while back there would be nothign new before OW2. They're going to have to change that if they don't want the player base to drift away.

6 hours ago, Mikes said:

The Chinese New Year event is on now. No one cares. The Ash outfit is pretty cool, though.

HOwever, what is news is the voice actor who voices Genji let slip in an interview that he has yet to voice any lines for OW2. That suggests one of two things - OW2 is a long way off and the indications of an early 2021 release were wrong, or they got another actor and this is all super awks.

Blizzcon is later this month. We could hear word about a release date, but even with that it's gong to be a long way off and OW hasn't had any new stuff outside cosmetics in a long time, and they did confirm a while back there would be nothign new before OW2. They're going to have to change that if they don't want the player base to drift away.

It was confirmed yesterday in an investor call that OW2 won’t make this year.

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/4/22267119/overwatch-2-diablo-4-release-date-2022

We are, however, getting another call of duty. Great.

It hurts. I was in some mad dream that we’d get a release date for summer at blizzcon and an open beta data.

That said, I reckon we’ll get another hero reveal at blizzcon later this month, linked to the new map and lore snippets they dropped and then nothing beyond event skins until OW2 drops next year.

As much as I like playing DPS I hope, if there is another hero, it’s not another DPS. Queue times can’t take much more.

Also leaked that OW will be going FTP. We'll learn more from Blizzcon online but I'm sure there'll have more content in the pipeline. They're not stupid and it sounds like they've known about the release date being pushed back for a while.

One thing I woudl like fixed though is the queue time estimator. God knows how many times I'v joined a DPS queue with a priority ticket fo less then 1 minute and still been in skirmish 8 minute later.

I think going free to play is a pretty good idea for OW2, its got such a lot of competition in the space now. I would definitely fork out for season passes with skins, emotes, voice lines and whatnot if I didn't have to pay a penny for the game. Unlike stuff like battle royales you really get a chance to play around with your character in overwatch, whether thats in the many game modes, at the start of the game with your team or just during play. Really suprised that OW2 isn't making it out this year, I mean I know pandemic and everything but they've been working on it for quite a while now, I'm guessing they must be adding a ton of stuff we don't know about. I just hope they aren't wasting all this time on the PVE modes which I have zero interest in, and I think in general they're overestimating how much people really want the PVE. It was a nice distraction and change of gameplay to have in limited events but I don't think many people would rather play that mode than PVP.

I wonder if part of the delay is wanting to incorporate all the new shiny bells and whistles on the new console generation? Or maybe they are waiting out the pandemic because they are tying the game heavily to the Overwatch League so they can have in-game viewing/participation or more intergration like they had eventually with OW, and launch OW2 with a new League season at the same time. That seems more likely, they've invested so much in League and they're going to want to relaunch it sucessfully with OW2.

If OW goes f2p then that means all you’ll be buying in OW2 will be the PVP mode which I’m pretty sure only about 3 people really care about. I’m not one of them.

On one hand F2P will mean fuller servers but on the other it will mean an inevitable battle pass.

I think they pulled the trigger too early on the OW2 announcement, likely just to distract from all the China stuff.

Tell you what, here’s my mental prediction:

Overwatch 2 isn’t coming out this year - or ever - it’s going F2P so all the OW2 stuff will just be put into OW, FORTNITE style. Just one game.

Maybe. 

Also, wouldn’t the F2P stuff be disclosed in the investors call from the other week?

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta say that Overwatch 2 is looking really good now. I know I dismissed PVE before but it looks like they are addressing a lot of issues I had with their first reveal. A proper story campaign, better enemies, more behaviours, objectives, multiple builds. It looks much more satisfying to play. As for other changes, the new visceral combat is looking sharp and I like the updated character designs. Jeff has said they might get rid of shit game modes like 2CP and introduce more new ones. The changes to tanks to make them more active is a step in the the right direction for making tanking more fun and hopefully providing incentives for people not just to play DPS.

Looks like free to play is unlikely now with all this work on fully fledged PVE campaigns. I just hope they give PVP enough work to make it really feel like a sequel in that regard. Personally I'm happy to wait until they are done, the videos yesterday actually had me hyped, which I never really felt when they showed it off the other year.

Also if we dont have an Overwatch 2 thread surely now is the time for one!

I’m liking the visual upgrades. Overwatch was always a gorgeous looking game but this looks more next gen to me now.

Also, the PvE stuff looks a lot more compelling now, previously it just looked like extended versions of the archives events.

I also liked what we saw for OW2. I'm not really interested in the PVE, but I'm willing to be swayed, and if we end up with Project Titan anyway then sure, why not. I mean, I'll be getting it anyway.

I was dissapoitned by no news on what's going to happen with OW1 though. However, as it's been noted, several of the smaller changes that were being tested for OW2 have been included in OW1 anyway (such as the token system), so I wouldn't be surprised if we see some stuff mke it's way across to OW1 early just to keep people ticking over. I also woudl;nt be surprised if one of those things ends up being Sojourn, given she's clearly quite far along in her development.

The talk of the PVP going 5v5 is also interesting. For anyone who didn't see, t's been pointed out that the PVP in OW2 shown at blizzcon only ever showed a max for 5 people from a team on screen at once. Given Blizz's stated aim of rejigging the Tank role to Brawler it's been hinted out (or confirmed, I'm losing track) that the tank role will be buffed but reduced to one slot per team. I could see how that would work and I'd apprecaited lower queue times.

Perversly I'm kind've OK with a daleayed release date so I can finish off getting my remaining character achivements. I only have two support, one tank and four DPS slots to go.

That's interesting. I wouldn't be against teams of 5 either with those kind of tank changes. In my opinion lessening the importance of tanking is a good thing for the game in general. In casual play people either don't want to play tank or don't know how to play tank. In high end play tanks are so vital to the team's survival that losing the main tank is often a clean wipe. Changing it to a brawler role is a great call, and hopefully will reduce reliance on shields in the game as well. Let people focus on the really fun stuff, fighting, instead of putting up shields. DPS players are going to be much more inclined to play a brawling Rein that can charge in and swing the hammer than a Rein who has to keep his shield up half the time to ensure the team's survival. Hopefully they decrease the reliance on a good tank to be critical to winning the game because it ruins so many matches - and if they only have 1 tank/brawler slot it had better not be a match defining role where the quality of the player determines whether the team lives or dies.

Personally I'm just looking forward to charging in as Rein, swerving around bends, firestriking people all over the place and swinging to win!

One thing I'm confused about with Overwatch 2 is the skill trees. I was under the impression they were for PVE only, but I've seen some recap videos from non-Blizzard sources implying that the skill trees will apply in PVP as well, which opens up a crazy kettle of fish if true. Do we actually know yet? Surely they can't have a fair system in PVP if players can be at any point in the skill tree (unless they matchmake based on skill tree progression).

Totally with you on the Rein thing. The recent Rein changes are awesome and I love playing him now. Although when you have a pokcetd Rein they can be hard to stop, but that's the game right now and goes to show the position of the healing.

Re, the skill tress, PVE only. Jeff confirmed it in an interview after ythe presentation, as they unbalance the game too much. Although he did say he's not discounting the possibility of arcade games using the skill trees in PVP.

I don’t know how to feel about the 5 person team thing. The queue times will certainly improve but less players would mean less people to shoot (and shoot at me). It may well have some bad implications for the comp scene and the feel of play in general.

I think that considering OW2 won’t be out this year at least one new hero before then is all but given. Making said new hero Soujorn - who is clearly DPS going by her health pool of 200 - would be pretty bonkers for said queue times.

I honestly want them to scrap role queue. I seemt o eb alone in the opinion that role queue was the single worst move OW made and is symptomatic of them changing the game to quite the wishes of the top 1%of players. 

I think role queue is good in theory but hamstrung in practice by everyone wanting to play DPS more.

I think - and they've admitted as much - that they need to improve the feedback on Tanks for absorbing more damage and make some of the healers feedback more visceral. Like Mercy, for example, hold to heal or boost and the damage counter ticks along and feels great.

12 hours ago, Strafe said:

I think role queue is good in theory but hamstrung in practice by everyone wanting to play DPS more.

The thing with that is they've had to try and fix it by introducing the token system to encourage peopel to queue for tank and support, and also to try and fix the token system by adjsuting how many token you get for a loss to stop people abusing it.

What I liked about open queue was the flexibility to adapt to circumstances and the creaitivity that gave. Yesterday I played a game where we were just stuck at the first choke on Kings Row. The defenders just had too much firepower and our tanks were just shredded and me and the other healer could not keep up. But I could pretty guarantee you that we the ability to go three tank and three support we could have broken through. But we couldn't, and we were stuck with 2/2/2.

Also with the creativity, twice before role queue came in I took part in comp games where we all took a support, and won both matches, and they were the ost memorable games I've ever had.

OW is far from perfect, but still a great game, but it often feels that Blizzard are trying to please the top 1% with most of their decisions. WoW foten felt the same way.

I’ll tell you what, it may run at half the frame rate and a lower resolution but switch OW comp is a lot more fun because it’s way less toxic. More chat, low flaming and, when there is some, it’s pretty mild.

Compared to PSN where last night a guy came onto team chat from his own group chat to tell me I wasn’t communicating enough (yeah, exactly) and then got annoyed I was playing Sym after his pal took Ashe that I’d been using in the first round. The entire second round was just swearing abuse, like that’s supposed to up your game. We lost, obviously. I still had more gold medals than he did lol.